Castor Oil?

Kurai_SenKurai_Sen Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
Hey guys, I need a little help.

Being a college student, I've been trying to cut down on my costs as well as find products that won't damage my hair. We don't get a lot of the good products here, so I often find I have to compromise on product ingredients. But recently I came across an affordable hair gel on Amazon that's incredibly cheap in the long run and will last a long time for me, and it checks out as CG.

However I found castor oil in its ingredient list, and I read that pure castor oil isn't CG friendly since it can build up. What are your guys' opinions on this product? I know of oiling your hair with castor oil and its benefits, I've even done it myself, but is there any adverse effects if its used in a styler? Will I still have problems with buildup if I use a low poo with about three mild surfactants? 

Just for reference, my hair is 2B/2C and can generally take a lot. I've got proteins in my shampoo and conditioner, and use a curl cream before my gel and get amazing results. Do you think I should buy this product to try it out? The base is flaxseeds, and I once used a gel based off flaxseeds (actual FSG doesn't suit my hair) and I had amazing results, but it was expensive because it was only available in small quantities.

This is the full ingredient list of the gel:

Aqua, Flaxseeds oil, Castor oil, Vitamin E, Glycerin, Xanthum Gum, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol, Citric acid, BHT, Gum Agar, Japanese Orange Oil.

Any input will be incredibly helpful. This site has been amazing in learning how to take care and understand my hair better. 
Animal obsessed wavy with a love for writing 

2B/2C Indian wavy, low-medium porosity, medium-high density, coarse hair
Shampoo: WOW Miracle 10-in-1 Shampoo
Conditioner: Oriflame Love Nature Conditioner with Wheat and Coconut Oil
Leave-in Cream: Arata Hair Cream
Gel: Experimenting with different hold levels
DC/ Treatment: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
Clarifying Shampoo: Pantene Lively Clean

CG since May '18

After nearly two decades of neglect, CG finally helped me embrace my hair as a part and parcel of my identity

Best Answers

• Talitha96Talitha96 Posts: 16 Curl Novice
    Accepted Answer
    You can always try it, if you don't like it then you also know (i'm a product junkie so i basically tried a lot even if i found my HG) lol
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,500 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    If you use a low poo, you should be OK. I think it's more of an issue for those who exclusively co-wash their hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • MissMilaMissMila Posts: 43 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    I do pure castor/coconut oil hair masks to pre poo now in winter and i only use a non sulfate shampoo once a week at the most, rest i co-wash. I have no issues with build up.
    I can do this during summer. I still use castor oil about once a week, but i shampoo more often. Otherwise my hair goes all flat.

Answers

• Kurai_SenKurai_Sen Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Thanks for your comments!
    Talitha96 said:
    You can always try it, if you don't like it then you also know (i'm a product junkie so i basically tried a lot even if i found my HG) lol
    Ah, I'd love to try out new products but I'm a broke college student XD Need to find good products within a budget as much as possible. I've already found my HG Low poo, conditioner and cream, it's just gel I'm still experimenting with. I hope to buy a gel that also negates my use of a curl cream so that I can minimize my routine as well ^^
    Therese1 said:
    If you use a low poo, you should be OK. I think it's more of an issue for those who exclusively co-wash their hair.
    I think I'll go for it now. I was a bit worried since it was an unknown product with zero reviews that literally just released a month ago, and there were no reviews on it by bloggers or anybody. But I guess I shouldn't have a buildup problem since my gel has a water-soluble silicone down towards the end of the list and I low poo always. Perhaps it'll even be alright to use castor oil. Thanks a lot!

DC/ Treatment: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque

CG since May '18

After nearly two decades of neglect, CG finally helped me embrace my hair as a part and parcel of my identity
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Depending on your hair type, I wouldn't worry about the castor oil. You said you used products with protein...is your hair porous? My hair is very fine, but naturally porous, and it LOVES castor oil. That said, I tend to look for products that list it in the ingredients. If not, I often use it to seal in moisture. As always, ymmv.
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,059Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have 2b/c hair but it is high porosity and damaged. Never had an issue with castor oil. Cowashing may not remove it. If you find you have build up just use a sulfate and it's not the end of the world.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    This is a test. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Kurai_SenKurai_Sen Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Update: I tried the gel and it was terrible. Was strangely goopy and weighed my hair down like anything. Should have suspected something when there was no cast. So I just went back to using the gel I know will work for me.

CG since May '18

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file