Judge a Product by Its Ingredients, Not Its Name. Week of December 24

tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
For those of you who are new: I will list the ingredients of two products along with some questions.  Your job is to answer those questions based on just the ingredients.    Please share any other observations you might have or some of your reasoning.  It helps us all learn to read ingredients better  

This week, we have  to conditioner.  One is a deep conditioner and one is a daily. Can you tell which is which?

Product A
Water (Aqua) infused with Equisetum Maximum Lam (Horsetail), Mentha Piperita (Peppermint), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary), Laurus Nobilis (Bay Leaf), Ocimum Basilicum (Basil), Arctium Lappa (Burdock Root), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow Root), Origanum Vulgare (Oregano), Cymbopogon Flexuosus (Lemongrass), Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme), Salvia Officinalis (Sage) and Urtica Dioica (Nettle); Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Hydrolyzed Oat Flour, Soy Lecithin, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

Product B
Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice Powder, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Laurus Nobilis (Bay Laurel) Leaf Extract, Ocimum Basilicum (Basil) Leaf Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Althea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, Origanum Vulgare (Oregano) Leaf Extract, Cymbopogon Flexuosus (Lemongrass) Extract, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Leaf Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Lecithin, Cinnamal, Citral, Eugenol, Geraniol, Citronellol, Limonene, Linalool, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol

Questions 
1. Which one is the daily and which is the DC?
2. Can you tell if these are drug store or high end?
3.  Which one do you think is more moisturizing? 
4. Would you use either as a leave in?
5. Do any ingredients call out to you as something to "use with caution"?

Past Themes:
Co-Wash or Low Poo?
Deep Conditioner: Drugstore or high end?
Shampoo: Drugstore or high end?
Curl Enhancer or Leave-In?
Gel: Drugstore or high end?
2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    1. Product A is the daily conditioner. It looks like a lighter product, with mostly water-based extracts and only a few oils and butters near the end of the ingredients list.

2. These are high-end. I actually think I know what products they are. I'm pretty sure I use the second one! I think they are high-end because they seem to have a lot of botanical extracts instead of just chemicals.

3. Product B is more moisturizing due to the heavier butters, some of which are high up on the ingredients list.

4. I would use product A as a leave-in because it is lighter.

5. For me, the high amount of shea butter in product B would make me cautious. Sometimes my hair doesn't do well with shea butter (it can be drying), but it is OK in the right formulation. I am also personally cautious of the oat protein in product A, but that is because my hair is protein sensitive. Not everyone will have that concern.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 92 Curl Connoisseur
    Funny, I think I know exactly what the second is due to the reason that I’ve bought it so many times and always look at the ingredients! lol

But I can’t determine the which of the 3 versions of that product it is, it’s a high end DC imo. But since it lacks a certain ingredient, I think I know which version it is ;).

The first one, I can’t recognize the ingredients but it seems like a rinse out, gentle conditioner. The ingredient list is new to me so I can’t guess what product it is exactly. I’m going to assume high end too.

Product B is also advertised as a Leave in, in minute amounts, but I’d use both with caution as my hair is build up prone and doesn’t absorb ingredients readily. Not to mention they won’t mix with my curl enhancers/ holders without flaking (I’ve tested dozens of combos and have narrows down ingredients that do not mix.) but for the sake of the dry weather, Product B works better and if it were warmer product A as a leave in.

None of them have a ton of protein or any to matter so none of the ingredients are with caution for me.

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    I'll say product A is the daily and B is the deep conditioner.  They both have shea butter and oils, but in A they're further down the list, and B they're right up at the top. 

The only ingredients that are "cautionary" would be the oat flour in A which is a protein, and for the protein sensitive - all those extracts in both.  Some of them may act as proteins, although I don't see any that stand out as especially problematic.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • cnic216cnic216 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 157 Curl Connoisseur
    1. I'd say Product A is the daily and B is the DC. B seems much heavier to me since the first few ingredients are butters and oils. A seems like it would have amazing slip! 

2. These both seem high end as they contain lots of natural extracts and pure forms of butters and oils. 

3.  I think B is going to have a lot of moisture but it's going to be heavy. A seems very light. 

4. I'd love to try A as a leave in. 

5. I'm not seeing any red flags in the ingredients, but for me personally, I wonder what these products would smell like. They both have a lot of herbs in them (rosemary, thyme, basil, peppermint, etc.) and I'm  not too crazy about those smells in my hair. 

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2018
    I almost missed this week! I'm not cheating off the others this week.
    My thoughts is that Product A is the daily, Product B is the deep conditioner. I am basing this off of B has more shea butter.
    Both are totally high end; though it would be nice if I were wrong on this point.
    I think either could be moisturizing depending on how well your hair tolerates shea butter.
    I would leave a bit of daily conditioner in as well as the deep conditioner, but that's just me and lately my hair has been rebelling against this.
    "Use with caution" kind of scares me, but I am guessing it is because of the peppermint or rosemary. Or it could be all the various extracts so be wary of allergies. Or it could be a general statement (Off topic, I bought a Soap and Glory body butter gift set and it made sure to call out on the back that they are NOT food... haha).
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    So I made a mistake this week, and I am not 100% sure how that happened.  The ingredient list for product A was wrong.

Product A: Jessie Curl Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner
     Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice Powder, Lecithin, Hydrolyzed Oat Flour, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Laurus Nobilis (Bay Laurel) Leaf Extract, Ocimum Basilicum (Basil) Leaf Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Althea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, Origanum Vulgare (Oregano) Leaf Extract, Cymbopogon Flexuosus (Lemongrass) Extract, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Leaf Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Cinnamal, Citral, Eugenol, Geraniol, Citronellol, Limonene, Linalool, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol

Product A: Jessie Curl Deep Treatment
     Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice Powder, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Laurus Nobilis (Bay Laurel) Leaf Extract, Ocimum Basilicum (Basil) Leaf Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Althea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, Origanum Vulgare (Oregano) Leaf Extract, Cymbopogon Flexuosus (Lemongrass) Extract, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Leaf Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Lecithin, Cinnamal, Citral, Eugenol, Geraniol, Citronellol, Limonene, Linalool, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Huh, it looks like the original product A is a different formula for the Jessicurl deep treatment. I wonder why they reformulated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file