my hair falls from a 3a when wet to a 2b when dry- what?!?

guitarist13guitarist13 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
after i’m finished washing my hair with devacurl nopoo and onecontion, i scrunch devacurl b’leave in gel and TRESemmè firm hold gel into my hair and plop it for 15-20 minutes. then i either diffuse my hair or sleep in a satin bonnet. when my hair is 95% dry, it has gone from a 3a curl to a 2b wave. by the end of the day, my hair has relaxed all the way to a 2a wave. my hair goes to my shoulders and is thin and layered. how can i keep my 3a curls all day?

Best Answer

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,795 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    You might need a harder hold gel.  The Deva BLI has very little hold, and I don't know about the Tresemme gel.  Try LA Looks Sports gel if you want a cheap gel, or Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee if you don't mind paying a little more.  Deva Ultra Defining gel gives me pretty good hold if I use enough of it.  Or it might be that you just need to use more gel. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,500Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @Guide 65 has some good suggestions. You could also maybe try spraying some sea salt spray into your hair when it is wet. That provides additional texture.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 388Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    +1 a harder hold gel and sea salt.  I really struggle with keeping my curls in Type 3 land as well. A good gel and sea salt are two of my weapons. 

Another suggestion that really helps me: put products in soaking wet hair than scrunch until not much water drips out.  Then take a t-shirt and keep scrunching until you can''t soak an area. Then diffuse to mostly dry - to 100% (my hair takes forever to get to 90-100 and sometimes I just don't got the time!).  I usually let the cast sit for at least 10 minutes before I SCOTC.

Product/Line Recommendation: JessieCurl's styling products do AMAZING things to my hair because of the sea salt.  Specifically, Rockin Ringlets Styling Solution.  Even if I use it just on a refresh day, it transforms my 2c's to 3a's.  

When I was using that with the Spiralicious gel (also has sea salt), I was getting consistent 3a curls.  I have temporarily stopped using it because I need something a bit more moisturizing for the winter.  My hair is a pretty solid 2c/3a with just the Spiralicous gel. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  JessiCurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    *currently trying BeautyCounter Smooth & Control Conditioner 
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCrul Heaven In Hair
    Stylers: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion & JessiCurl Sprialicious Gel  all over; JessiCurl Rockin Ringlets on select areas
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    @guitarist13 Keep us posted!  Let us know if you try some different gels. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • guitarist13guitarist13 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    thank you everyone for the help! i think i’m going to try out the LA Looks Sport gel... I did a little bit of research on some of the products everyone suggested and that one sounds the best for my hair type. I’ll try and include some pictures when i use it!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file