DIY Recipes for those of us with MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) - NO Fragrance

mom-n-sonmom-n-son Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
Hello.  I have 3a/3b Low Porosity, Thick, Coarse hair that needs help.  I love products I find, but cannot do the added fragrance.  I am looking for some DIY recipes.  I used the Aphogee Treatment and my hair is the softest, fullest it has ever been; however I thought it was protein sensitive.  Confused.  I really like DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, B Leave In and Styling Cream.  But I cannot do the fragrance any longer.  Any recipes out there that anyone has used to replace the above?  Thanks

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    I know the DIY gelatin treatment is extremely similar (and cheaper) than the Aphogee 2 step. But that's the only DIY dupe I know. Naptural85 has a lot of DIY stuff on her channel.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Flax seed gel is a common, well loved DIY styling product.  All you need are flax seeds and water, although you can add more stuff if you want.  And then if you want to branch out from there, there's DIY okra gel, and I just heard about oatmeal gel. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • cnic216cnic216 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 157 Curl Connoisseur
    edited December 2018
    You can make a really moisturizing shampoo out of African Black soap. I've done this once or twice and it really works. It's sulfate free but lathers up quite a bit and to me is much more gentle than most sulfate free shampoos I've tried. There also really wasn't any detectable smell. Just make sure it's completely organic/raw African black soap. I get mine on Amazon. This can also double as an amazing face/body wash. 

If your hair likes aloe, I've seen that you can take aloe vera (juice or gel) and dilute it with water and essentials oils (if you like) to make a leave in conditioner. 

Second @Guide 65 on the flax seed gel. I've seen many curlies use and love flax seed gel. You can check Etsy for it if you don't want to make it yourself. I know several sellers that have organic, natural, and fragrance free formulations for flax seed gel or creams. You can also check out Pinterest for some great DIY recipes. 

Finally, I think Jessicurl makes a couple of their products fragrance free, but I'm not sure if those have other chemicals in them that you might be sensitive to. It's worth a look though. 
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    There are some DIY recipes on the Science-y Hair Blog.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file