Beach Thread for Beach Lovers!

JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
edited December 2018 in Non-hair discussion
Anyone here love the beach and if so, what are your favorite beaches and why? Beach activities? Pix? How often do you go?

I typically go 3-5 times a year. I used to always go to Destin/PCB/Ft Walton and Miami. Now that I'm in ny, it's about the same price to fly down to the Caribbean. This year I've been to Barbados, Turks and Caicos, Cancun, Athens and Mykonos(bday trip). Been a busy beach year and now I need to save money and it's driving me crazy that I haven't been to the beach since June!

I love clear water and white, nice sand. I prefer Caribbean and Gulf beaches over the Mediterranean. The prettiest beaches I've seen are in Turks and Caicos. But favorite is Destin/Panhandle area mostly because the hotels on the beach are more affordable and there is something different about the waves and ocean there. I like Barbados most overall. Very laid back, fun, safe, a lot of beach bars, cheap, not too touristy.

I need to be in the water most of the time and then just relaxing in the sun. Ideally stay out there all day with a cooler with drinks and food. At one point in my life, I'd love to live on the beach.

I typically need a beach trip to de stress. It's totally my happy place.

Turks and Caicos

Barbados (Accra beach)
Destin, FL

Matador beach in Malibu (nice, but not a fan of cali beaches)

Comments

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Barbados is great!  My grandmother is from there.

I don't take many hot weather vacations, but when I visit my grandmother in FL really like the beaches in Sarasota!  Beautiful sandy white beaches!

I would love to go to the beaches of Greece and the French Rivera! 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nice, I love Barbados! You lost me at 'I don't take hot weather vacations'...lol
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I love all beaches, iincluding the grainy, brown NYC beaches I grew up on! Cayman Islands are amazing bc the water is so blue! But I like the Bahamas bc there are so many tiny islands, you can actually see them individually.

I got into a bumper car accident at a seaside amusement park when I was 5. After I hit my face, my mother put a "magic rock" from the beach (Bray, ireland) on my cheek to help dull the pain. And the next morning I had a dimple on that cheek! So that is my favorite beach, I guess.

Here's a pic of the boardwalk.

Here's a pic of the rocks.

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2018
    @Josephine I'm from Western Washington where 75 is hot -- and AC is rare even in apartments/houses.   I get really grouchy when I am too hot for too long.  So as nice as warm places are, I can become a huge negative Nancy.

I went to Cuba a couple years ago.  With the hot weather (and a major hangover), I was so miserable my friend I went with lost it on me in the middle of the street lol  
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I love the beach and have been all up and down the east coast and west coast of the US, the Gulf of Mexico, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, both coasts of Mexico. But my very favorite beaches are on Presque Isle on Lake Erie just 30 miles north of here. And a few other local lakes. I go to the ocean every couple years and go to local beaches 25-30 times a year.
    All of these are from my favorite beach on Presque Isle. 

--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    @jeepcurlygurl  I love the picture of you on the beach with the sun! 

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @tinksaysboo  Thank you! : ) 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I love all beaches, iincluding the grainy, brown NYC beaches I grew up on! Cayman Islands are amazing bc the water is so blue! But I like the Bahamas bc there are so many tiny islands, you can actually see them individually.

I got into a bumper car accident at a seaside amusement park when I was 5. After I hit my face, my mother put a "magic rock" from the beach (Bray, ireland) on my cheek to help dull the pain. And the next morning I had a dimple on that cheek! So that is my favorite beach, I guess.

Aw that's soo cool. I forgot to mention I still love all beaches even though I may not like them as much. I went to the beach 3 times in nyc this summer(twice in long beach and once at fire island). 
    @jeepcurlygurl  Nice pictures! I have friends from eerie and heard the lake is ocean like but never saw pictures. It doesn't even look like a lake!
    @Josephine   It is very ocean like. People even surf there when we have a good wind. 
    Josephine said:

Aw that's soo cool. I forgot to mention I still love all beaches even though I may not like them as much. I went to the beach 3 times in nyc this summer(twice in long beach and once at fire island). 

Uhhh that's not nyc! Lol

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I LOVE the beach. I don't get to a beach nearly as often as I would like, though. Maybe when I retire..... 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Josephine said:

Uhhh that's not nyc! Lol
    LOL okay. There are beaches in Manhattan? 
    Josephine said:
    Josephine said:

Uhhh that's not nyc! Lol
    Brooklyn and Queens have a bunch. I'd def assume State Island but I've never been to any of them.

There are beaches in Manhattan? 
    Brooklyn and Queens have a bunch. I'd def assume State Island but I've never been to any of them.

Okay,  I thought long island was part of queens. I think rockaway beach is though? They are all the same to me. I know fire island is not, much nicer beach. 
    edited December 2018
    Josephine said:
    There are beaches in Manhattan? 

Okay,  I thought long island was part of queens. I think rockaway beach is though? They are all the same to me. I know fire island is not, much nicer beach. 
    Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island are NYC. Physically, Brooklyn and Queens are located on the same land mass as Long Island. But LI is not part of NYC. Rockaway is a beach/park that is shared btwn Brooklyn and Queens (so completely in NYC; not on Long Island or anywhere near Long Island, as Queens s huge).

Has anybody been to a glow in the dark beach like the Maldives?  That's on my list of beaches as well!

Image result for glow in the dark beach

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Has anybody been to a glow in the dark beach like the Maldives?  That's on my list of beaches as well!

Image result for glow in the dark beach
    Wow! What a spectacular photo! I definitely want to visit there!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Josephine said:
    Josephine said:

Uhhh that's not nyc! Lol
    No, Manhattan Beach (stupidly) is in Brooklyn...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file