Winter here and hair worse, new routine needed?

MonipenMonipen Posts: 62Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
So in the meantime I'm 8 months transitioning and just as I thought I at least had a little bit figured out when it comes to styling my hair, it's winter and my hair is not getting better but worse. I live in central Europe and the weather is cold rainy and windy outside and indoors the heating is on. When I last got my hair cut, I was very happy with the result, that was October and the weather hadn't changed much yet.

I've been searching for tips for winter hair routine, and I thought let me try out this LOC method. That was not a very good idea. My hair is super weighed down and looks greasy.

Products that I am using at the moment: Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-in conditioner (it's nearly finished as I've had this one for 8 months, it was one of the first things I bought when I started); As I Am smoothing gel; Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie (I only just tried using this for the first time last Saturday, after having this one sitting on my shelf for months, yeah I admit I made the mistake of just buying a whole lot of products from the beginning when I started the CG method without even thinking about whether it would be right for my type of hair or not); the Shea Moisture Yucca and Plantain Anti Breakage Frizz Free Shine Mist (this one I just recently purchased, but mistakenly thought it was a leave-in spray that I could use as a 2nd day refresher, I ordered it online and when I got it I realized that it's actually an oil, I've got nothing against oils but I think this is something that I need to use sparingly, maybe just a little bit on the ends of my hair).

I have to say that regarding the hair gel: I had the Curl Keepers Ultimate Hold gel, and though it took me some time to figure out that this was actually a good product (I think it had to do with the amount, I was using it too sparingly in the beginning, which is why I didn't really see any results, but once I used more product I also had a better result with my hair)... but my only problem with it is the price. It is really pricy! So I decided to try something more affordable and bought the As I Am smoothing gel, and I am glad now that I only got the small jar because I don't really like this gel. It's too thick and tacky and really difficult to apply and distribute all over my hair. This one is almost about to finish now, and I am not buying it again. But...I already got the Eco Styler with Olive Oil (thankfully also the smaller jar), and last Saturday I just wanted to try it out for the first time, and just from that one time I'm already concluding this thing: that just as the As I Am gel it's thick and tacky and difficult to distribute.  :( 

The thing is that I am right now in this winter weather realizing that using only hair gel as a styler (which I could do during the summer) is not enough, my hair is dry and frizzy, and the curls don't last more than a day. But on the other hand when I added all the other products it got weighed down and greasy, and again the curls don't last longer than a day.

I still deep condition my hair once a week and use the hot head, this is the only good thing. This is working fine so this is not the problem. The problem lies in the styling products.

It's so hard to figure out what's exactly right for me! :/ Does anyone maybe have a suggestion on a brand or a product that might work better for me?

My hair density is thick and hair thickness medium-to-thick... but I think, or suspect, that my hair is medium or low porosity, since my hair takes so long to dry.

One more thing to add is that I've noticed that I find it hard to distribute styling products all over my hair, I think maybe because I have so much hair (this was something I realized as I was using the Curl Keeper gel, as part of my hair didn't seem to have any hold). I usually apply products as I put my head upside down and I do it section by section, but yet once my hair is dry realize that there are some areas (in particular the back) that didn't get any product. Maybe I should start doing it as I look straight in the mirror instead, and put up my hair and do it section by section. Does anyone have a suggestion here?

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,795Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I still haven't mastered winter hair, and I've been doing this for over 2 years!  So far, it hasn't been bad, but our winter has been really mild so far.  Once the weather gets really bad, I don't know how my hair will act.

My plan for this winter is to start using more leave in.  I've been doing that - so far, so good.  And when my hair needs more help, I'm going to use a curl cream underneath my gel.  I think it's a matter of keeping your hair well moisturized when the air gets cold and dry.

For gels, you might want to try Giovanni.  I think it's available world wide, and it's a pretty good brand.  It's not expensive where I live, and it's kind of similar to the the Curl Keeper gel.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,500Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Winter hair can be really tricky. I don't get very good second-day hair in the winter; there's just not enough moisture in the air. And third-day hair? Forget about it! Third-day hair is a ponytail. :)

I think the biggest help for you would be to use a leave-in. You said that adding the leave-in (along with other products) made your hair greasy. I would try cutting way down on the amount you use. I use only a pea-sized amount of my leave-in (Curl Junkie Beauticurls), and just that little bit makes a big difference. It is enough to help seal in moisture, but not so much that my hair is greasy. I really like this leave-in, but it might not be readily available for you.p

You could also try looking for a gel that has a lot of aloe. Aloe will help hold moisture in. Be aware, though, that some people's hair doesn't like aloe. It can make the hair overly soft and give it a fine layer of frizz. Some people's hair loves it, though! You can also use straight aloe on your hair instead of a leave-in. Dilute it 1:1 with some water (straight aloe is too acidic to use directly on the hair), pour it over your hair, and scrunch it in. 

You might also want to check your products for glycerin in the ingredients list. Some people find that glycerin dries out their hair in the winter.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • MonipenMonipen Posts: 62Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you for your replies, I will try that, I'll definitely check the Giovanni gel.

And yes it's a good idea, I will at least try to use less product next time to see if it makes a difference.

By the way regarding glycerin, I did read about that here on this website and I've been checking out the ingredients. I must say that it seems difficult to find styling products that do not contain glycerin, almost all of them do. :D
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,059Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Try Mixing one or two drops of your oil into one of your products. This helps me in the winter without greasy hair.
    BrittanyM said:
    Try Mixing one or two drops of your oil into one of your products. This helps me in the winter without greasy hair.
    Thanks. I'm trying this as well, I really have to be careful though and use very little oil, since my hair tends to look greasy easily. 

And thank you all for your suggestions.

Just thought I'd give an update: my hair is so not cooperating with me right now. It is disappointing!  :'( I'm so unhappy. It's like it's taken a step back instead of a step forward. What I can say is that my curls are right now where I was 9 months ago when I started transitioning. Weak curls (it's not even a curl anymore, it's a wave now), don't last even a day! It just hangs and looks limp and flat, no volume.

Truth is I don't even bother to wash my hair mid-week anymore, what's the point? At the end of the day I just finger detangle and then have my hair in an up-do the rest of the week. Saves me from having to wash more than once a week and then having to use the blow-dryer, which takes forever anyway (my hair takes forever to dry and it's cold rainy and windy outside, normal winter weather here).
    Just to add a correction to what I said just before this: I don't mean that there is anything wrong with waves. Wavy hair can look really beautiful, mine doesn't.... that's the point: it's weak, limp has no staying power, no volume. :D But yeah.... this is where the old saying comes in: be patient... Patience is the hardest I find when transitioning. :D But I'm not giving up now...I've come so far...
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,795Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    It sounds like you may need some protein in your routine.  That's how my hair gets, and it all seems to perk up after a protein treatment.  If you want to go cheap, you can do a gelatin treatment and follow that with a deep conditioning treatment.  Or you can get a protein/deep conditioning product like Deva Deep Sea Repair or Curl Junkie Repair Me. 

My hair tends to need much more protein in the winter, and less in the summer.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Guide 65 said:
    It sounds like you may need some protein in your routine.  That's how my hair gets, and it all seems to perk up after a protein treatment.  If you want to go cheap, you can do a gelatin treatment and follow that with a deep conditioning treatment.  Or you can get a protein/deep conditioning product like Deva Deep Sea Repair or Curl Junkie Repair Me. 

My hair tends to need much more protein in the winter, and less in the summer.

Hmmm, that didn't occur to me, about the protein... Interesting. I'm really going to try that. Thanks! :D 
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,500Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I see in your original post that you mention the SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Are you still using that? If you are, I would remove it from your routine and see if things improve. This product is notorious for causing problems. It's very finicky.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file