Protein Treatment Help

machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Hi it’s time to start doing a light protein treatment. I’m going to try Aubrey Organics product because it looks like it’s considered a light protein product. 

I’m not sure the steps to go about doing this on wash day in conjunction with cleansing, conditioning and styling products. 

Can somwone explain the steps. Thanks!

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,800Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Which AO product are you using?  I thought their conditioner was discontinued a long time ago. 

I don't think there's any special tricks.  Just use a product containing protein the way you normally would.  If it's a shampoo, wash as usual.  If it's a conditioner, then condition as usual.  If it's a deep conditioner, slather it on and let it sit for a while, then rinse.  If you feel it's too much for your hair, then follow with DC without protein.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,504Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would just wash your hair as usual, then squeeze out the excess water and apply the conditioner. Leave it sit on your hair as long as you want. The longer it sits on your hair, the more protein your hair will take up. I think that Science-y Hair Blog says that after 30 minutes, no more protein will adhere, so you can rinse out the conditioner then.

After you rinse out the conditioner, I would assess your hair. If it feels dry, then I would follow up with a conditioner that has no protein. If your hair feels good, then I would go straight to your usual styling regimen.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited December 2018
    Therese1 said:
    I would just wash your hair as usual, then squeeze out the excess water and apply the conditioner. Leave it sit on your hair as long as you want. The longer it sits on your hair, the more protein your hair will take up. I think that Science-y Hair Blog says that after 30 minutes, no more protein will adhere, so you can rinse out the conditioner then.

After you rinse out the conditioner, I would assess your hair. If it feels dry, then I would follow up with a conditioner that has no protein. If your hair feels good, then I would go straight to your usual styling regimen.
    Thanks! I’ve been using the Shea Moisture Jamaican Castor Oil masque recently that was suggested on a FB group. I really like this stuff. I’ve found that it has a good balance of protein and moisture and haven’t needed to added a non protein conditioner.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file