Step by steps guides please, or is it all trial by fire!? JK getting better but....

Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 26Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
@BrittanyM  and @tinksaysboo  How did you all end up finding the best techniques? I am struggling (although it is getting better day by day curl by curl)  @Guide 65 made a profound suggestion that perhaps its not the maddening search for the right product but the right techniques! By jove! This is where I get overwhelmed! I would just love a users manual from someone with the same hair!
Are there step by step guides that really work or is it more of a aggghhhhh trial and error process?
Or like sit down and take notes from each fab curl gal, for each hump in the curl lump I find? 
HOW DID YOU FINALLY GET TO THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TANGLED MAZE?
 Please answer which ever one fits you: have struggled with and how ya made it out on top! Truly appreciate it! I suppose I struggle with focusing on products just as much as techniques because there is so much to retain, you can get lost in the Frizz!

A.
Managing different curl types: How to recognize them, and how to tame them yaaaggh! (I think I have 2a low po bottom locks/then middle high po with the tendency to really frizz, catch together and not lump into defined wavecurl).

B.
Once you recognize said different hair types on your own dang head how do you tackle them?  just use the same product on all but separate techniques? (I find different techniques but find it can begin to feel overwhelming i managing to all, but in reality one has to to get the curl wave needed.

C. Once that is done how do you intergrate your mop top into one copacetic harmonious  entity? 

D. What was the best direction to follow? Did you have to create your step by step routine by watching tidbits and tying tidbits to then create your own? Or were there specific Curl talks or texture gals that you could pick as your pony and ride all way into successful curls? I guess its like did you have to do alot of research and continue to experiment for awhile or was there a closer to step by step way provided for you that one could also access for themselves?

F. How to decide on application of products, pinning, diffuser, (which techniques to choose from  so on and so forth.  Thanks gals. You've really been there! Even when I'm at my split end looking for perfection!  - clear

Comments

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    edited December 4
    1. Check your local library for "The Curly Girl Handbook".  The actual book lays out the basic steps which makes starting CGM a lot less overwhelming. 

2. I suggest starting super simple.

One Conditioner - use this to  co-wash, condition, and as leave in
    One Curl Enhancer
    One Mousse/Gel  

3. From there you tackle issues one by one.   And only make one change at a time.  This is key.  When you try a bunch of stuff at once, it's impossible to say what helped and what didn't.  

A. Managing different curl types: How to recognize them, and how to tame them yaaaggh! (I think I have 2a low po bottom locks/then middle high po with the tendency to really frizz, catch together and not lump into defined wavecurl).
    I think there is far too much emphasis on curl type (Type 2, 3, 4), especially early on in your curl journey.   Right now, you need to concentrate on getting your hair healthy again.  

I suggest starting my treating your hair all the same, and in the spirit of keeping simple, when you address things like different porosity levels, only work on treating that and make your changes one by one.  Once you figure out how to deal with it, move on to the next issue.

Two things are going to happen as you continue natural hair care:

1. your hair is going to get healthier and things like mixed porosity will even out a bit (maybe not completely go away, but will likely lessen in difference).  The frizz will go away.  As people have said in some of your other threads, you are looking at a 2-6 month journey.

2. You get to know your hair like your know your body.  You can tell where you might need a little extra leave in or extra scrunching.

B. Once you recognize said different hair types on your own dang head how do you tackle them?  just use the same product on all but separate techniques? (I find different techniques but find it can begin to feel overwhelming i managing to all, but in reality one has to to get the curl wave needed. 

Sometimes I don't.  Different curl types is pat of curly hair.  Only tackle an issue if it's a problem for you.  

For example, sometimes I get 2a/2b curls while the rest is 2c/3a.  This leaves me with a little rat tail hanging out out.   When I noticed that, I looked up how to enhance type 2 curls.  Now when that happens I use that technique just on the less curly spots.   If the difference in curls isn't drastic like a rat tail, I leave it be.

F. How to decide on application of products, pinning, diffuser, (which techniques to choose from  so on and so forth.  Thanks gals. You've really been there! Even when I'm at my split end looking for perfection!  - clear
    I highly suggest checking your library for "The Curly Girl Handbook" (worth the buy if you are serious about CGM)

F. How to decide on application of products, pinning, diffuser, (which techniques to choose from  so on and so forth.  Thanks gals. You've really been there! Even when I'm at my split end looking for perfection!  
    Trial and error!  I see what other curlies are doing and if it looks interesting I try it.  Sometimes my hair hates it, but if it loves it I keep it a s part of my routine.  
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | mixed density| protein & coconut sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo: DevaCurl's Low Poo / JessiCurl's Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab
    Stylers: Curl Junkie's Spiral Lotion, JessiCurl's Sprialicious Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Agree with everything TInksaysboo said.
    I would add for mixed porosity. Add a bit (a bit) more to the canopy. Once dry, you can dampen and pin curl any weird sections.
    Start simple. Tinksaysboo suggests 2 styling products while I suggested one. I still say one but definitely no more than 2.
    As she suggested, your hair will not magically look model-esque. I spent a long time with updos when I didn't like my hair.
    Try to stick to something for a while. Separate issues like this:
    No volume = clipping
    Don't like the clumping = change technique.
    Etc.
    For example, some curly girls style upside down. When I did that, my hair looked insane so I styled upright. Solved the issue.
    If something doesn't work after a few tries, don't do it or change the technique.
    It's not that hard, and you will get the hang of it.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    I agree with Brittany, starting with just one styler (a gel) would be most ideal! 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | mixed density| protein & coconut sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo: DevaCurl's Low Poo / JessiCurl's Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab
    Stylers: Curl Junkie's Spiral Lotion, JessiCurl's Sprialicious Gel
  • Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 26Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Thanks ladies! I truly appreciate the time and realize Im a unique type of .....person! But I think the layout provided by both of you....in multiple different shout outs of dismay (on my behalf) have been met with diffused patience. Thank you. Back to the basics (actually I was never at the basics). Heres to re-focusing and not getting tangled in the hows and the hows knots, but just 1-2 products and go from there. Thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file