The Spiraling: not curls but into shamed shopping cart manic mall moisture madness. S.O.S Im 2B ADD

Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 26Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice

Well hello again. Here I am again and again and again and thus The Grand Spiraling begins! The spiral into hair hell shopping mall manic mamba no. 5! I hit this curled and tangled  web every time I start a new regimen (which is often because Im struggling). My theory is, and maybe I can help another curled mess, I have ADD. BIG SURPRISE RIGHT? SIKE!! For any of you that have interacted with me it likely isn’t. But to CLARIFY further, Ill break down what happens in my gnarled high poo brain:

A. I feel pretty confident. I take the tests, I read, I search, but then I keep searching and I keep reading and....the spiral begins. So then I just go shoppppppinng (not very smart if you are already frustrated).

B. Im in the fluorescent aisles of confusion again. I just read everything and I even wrote it all down! But why am I here for an hour, buying products that I dont actually need..again? Really...who knows...but if any of you struggle like this I feel for waved minds of my knotted sistas. My theories go as such:

C. We have an idea but its not narrowed down because we struggle with narrowing anything down. So instead of a clear list, it’s a jumbled mess: "coarse, fine, no poo, spray, toss, protein, hard water, what’s my frizz type again, whats my name again, where’s the chocolate, oh hey a cute guy, waiiiitt to clarify silicone who?” You get the point!

D. You are in it now. There's little to no hope. You are in the coconut buttered slide shooting off into the pool of argan gel, you’re stuck but oh yes still moving. Now you have an, oh just a RIDICUOOUS pile of a jumbled assortment of products that used to be you’re “list”. And then it hits you, "Oh gosh its Sally! Poor Sally the clerk. Oh Golly, I just did this to her last week when I attempted to clarify and begin AGAIN, annnnnndd you jut returned all those other products, and  we both know (as you slowly approach her registers with the squeaky wheels of shame cart) that you will be back again. With the dang squeaky shame cart, and your straggly waves, because alas…this is your condition..er.

Well there it is! If you can help, oh dear every holy grail help! If you can relate, let us commiserate and support one and another with our curly distracted frizz ball tips of trying to stay on track. I can offer this: a comprised list of questions or situations I struggle with and how to consolidate a routine and product line. Whheeeewww! I kind of feel better. Thank you all who have already been there for me. When Im famous for my wavy locks, I shall remember all you early curl crusaders. Here it goes: AND IF YOUR A  TOP CANOPY HIGH POROSITY, BOTTOM LOW POROSITY, FRIZZY, MEDIUM DENSITY, MEDIUM THICKNESS, TYPE 2B and want to just hold my greased up hand, please just jot down ALL YOUR curl secrets with steps, I would forever be indebted as your curl Padawon for life. 

1. Searching for products: Trying to find the clump but leaving in a slump. Looking for clarifying shampoo then finding yourself muddled in 3 youtube videos  and 12 open tabs all having nothing to do with shampoo!! How do you stay focused on the one topic of your hair pattern, type, product till you find your Holy Grail for all steps? Of course this is after doing it multiple times and trials and error.

2. No poo, low poo, poo poo.....sulfuuu...deep breath. How do you wash it all away and pick a shampoo regimen?

3. Conditioner...oh conditioner...you've been my only friend. You’ve been slip slidey supportive this whole time....but then we take a a sharp turn down the moisture coaster.....Detangler? Do we use this? Do we need this? Which one to use and how? 

4. Leave in...this is where the all you can squish buffet comes in with waaayy to much touching and frizz and Bride of Frankenstein exit stage left please. How to narrow down application of products?

5.  The drama ensues: To squish not to squish? Somewhere over the rainbow clip? West Side Poros- A- Story? Im at my split end. How to narrow down what works for styling your hair?

This is much, but Im sure, I just stuck the pic in the scalp but I did it for my other ADD wavy girls! Lets us ride that wave into the sunset curls of tomorrow. Thank you for anyone that is brave enough to read this. Thank you. 

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,706Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 3
    I know EXACTLY how that feels!  Been there, done that LOL.

Here's a thought - it's not the products, it's the techniques you're using.  Instead of investing in all these bottles and jars only to have your hair do the same thing every time, try searching youtube for shower routines, or styling routines.  Techniques to look up - squish to condish, super-soaker, product application, clipping, diffusing.  Watch several videos on each technique because everyone does things differently.  Then next time you wash your hair, you can try out some of these techniques. 

And even if these don't work - at least they're free and you won't have the squeaky wheel shopping cart of shame!

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 26Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    GENIUS! Its true though! I having a tough time finding just the right person to follow? How did you do it? watched several and compiled the notes? I sense that patience is the key. The lesson in many an aspect in my life. Ha! Thanks again.
  • Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 26Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Oops! @Guide 65 You already answered my second question in your post! You rock n roll!

Techniques to look up - squish to condish, super-soaker, product application, clipping, diffusing.  Watch several videos on each technique because everyone does things differently.  Then next time you wash your hair, you can try out some of these techniques.  
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Get a sulfate free shampoo, conditioner, and styler (either cream or gel).
    Wash hair. Put in conditioner. Let it sit for a few minutes. Rinse your roots only. Add your styler in the shower without drying or scrunching your hair.
    Now gently scrunch upwards until some or a lot of water is removed.
    Let air dry. (Clipping if you need volume)
    Do this for one month without switching products. Evaluate what you think. If you dont like your hair one day, put it up.
    As Guide suggested, products aren't miracle workers. Sometimes your hair needs to adjust or you need to adjust styling techniques.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,798Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    You can search this site for information about all the topics @Guide 65
    mentioned.   Tons of info here!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    @BrittanyM I'm like a child! A new toddler in the world of curls! Seriously, I needed just like firm bullet points! Not that every one hasn't said those same ones previously, but having it concrete like that will help me not detour into the land of thousands of products when I'm just struggling being patient and consistent. Il keep all posted!
    To be honest Im not a huge fan of deva curl products. eeekk
    @Gretchen tips on pages or resources that just have bullet point with product for my type? I can get to searching and then hour goes by and I'm still in the same non-boosting la flat mode physically and emotionally. I really like how simply @BrittanyM put it and can commit to that but I don't  really care for deva curl products. eeeekk I hope to find decent basics and start again from there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file