HELP: How to start?

inxprsvinxprsv Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi, my name is Lili, and I need help getting started with my curly hair journey. (PS: bear with me, english isn't my first language)

I have some relaxed strands in the front, strands that don't look healthy (I think my hair type is 3c/4a, but those strands look more elongated with a piece of curly hair), other than that everything is curly and normal.

My hair starts drying a few minutes after I have it wet (not completely, it takes a few hours to dry fully) Can you guys tell me also how to know the porosity of my hair? (Thanks!)

I have fine hair (my hair looks limp and flat when is straight, but it looks full and bouncy when is curly. Also, I have some thinned edges at the front, sides and back of my hair (it's not dramatic but I'm alarmed about what could happen if I lose me hair).

The heat protectant and conditioner that I used had some silicones, and I think that has something to do with my hair being extra oily after getting it straight. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). I need some help getting started, I feel overwhelmed with all the information that I have read in the past 3 days and don't know where to start. My country (Dominican Republic) doesn't have a lot of products that you guys use so I might have to order online or something. 

Please, tell me the products you use and all of that, help me getting started.

Best Answer

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,794 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Welcome!  It all feels overwhelming to start with, but you'll get the hang of it soon!

To start, what you need is a clarifying shampoo, something to cleanse your hair, a good moisturizing conditioner, and a gel.

For the clarifying shampoo, you can use any shampoo that has no silicones.  For this one time, you want something with sulfates to get rid of the last of the silicones.  You'll use this just once, but you might want to use it again in a month or so.  A lot of people tend to do best with an occasional clarifying.

For cleansing on wash days, you'll need a creamy cleanser (also called a cowash) or a conditioner with no silicones.  Some people use a regular conditioner to clean their scalp.  A thinner, less moisturizing conditioner tends to work best.

To condition your hair, a thicker more moisturizing conditioner is needed.  This can also be used as a leave in conditioner.

The gel needs to be alcohol and silicone free. 

I don't know what brands you have available where you are, but DevaCurl seems to be everywhere, and it's all CG friendly, so it's a good place to start.  If you decide to use all Deva, then get the Build Up Buster for clarifying, No Poo for everyday cleansing, One Condition, and Ultra Defining Gel. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• inxprsvinxprsv Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you so much for answering my post, I appreciate it!
    I found some products that are made in my country without sulfates and silicones, saw some reviews and I think they'll work for me.
    I'll look out for some DevaCurls products since they are good too, thanks again!
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,794Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    That's good that you've found local products!  Not everyone loves Deva, and they tend to be pretty expensive, especially if you have to add shipping to the cost.  Let us know if you have any questions or problems.  We're always here to help!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,059Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Glad Guide could help. Naptural85 on YouTube has a lot of DIY styling products since your country has yet to embrace natural hair as much. She has a lot of DIY Mango Butter and other styles that you might find helpful if you can't find products in your country.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file