Seesssh! This is like learning Cantonese..The Language of Curl! Thank goodness we have LOC Linguists

Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 26Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
edited December 1 in Information for Newbies
Hello Curly Gurls! Shout out to @cnic216 and @BrittanyM and @tinksaysboo. You have been my curl professors in this foreign and often cold new language. JK it ain't that bad! You all rock.   What Ive learned:
A. For some reason I was compelled to buy very heavy and thick products and weighing down by hair
B. Plopping makes my roots all flat and mucky
C. I likely have majority high porosity not low eeeekk
D. LESS IS MORE FOR WAVY GALS
Question:
1. Even if I don't plop my roots can still be flat? Ive been clipping but would a beach salt spray help or are those taboo? 
2. I don't see any curl girls post much about  "Not my Mothers Products" should I steer away as well?
3. Again the top canopy of my hair really curls well  but (pretty much my whole life) my hair has had trouble integrating. The top and bottom canopy are fighting and sitting back to back in the same room!
Question: Any idea how to integrate them? Any products or techniques to make them whole?
4.You shall be pleased to hear I've narrowed down fewer styling products : leave in condish, a tiny devcurl wave maker, supercurl cream and gel.
5. the curls the next day are lack luster. What do you gals  any curl gurl) recommend for getting them respruced and integrated? I have the beach spray form NYM but doesn't seem to be anywhere on the site. Is it not Cury gurl approved? I also have Coconut water seasalt spray Ren pure. Can I use that to touch up and become one with thine next day curls? Or what is the best spray curl activator or product to carry on. Any suggestion welcomed!

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,706Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    1.  Flat roots is something I struggle with too.  What helps - doing everything upside down, root clipping, diffusing upside down.  And even with all of that, I still have problems.  Sometimes I use a little mousse right at my roots to help.  I like AG Naturals Cloud foam.  Deva Curl makes one too that doesn't work for me (it might for you though).  I also do some very gentle flipping back and forth while applying my styling products, and gently tugging on the hair to lift the roots away from my scalp.

2.  NYM NATURAL line is all CG and pretty popular.  They have a new curl line but I don't  know much about it.  It's not part of their Natural line, so you should read the ingredients to see if there's any silicones or waxes.  The rest of their products are not CG friendly.

3.  This is something that will probably come together as your hair gets healthier.  Without seeing it, I can't give any better advice.

4.  This is still too many products.  At most, you should use a leave in, one curl enhancer, and one gel.  As you get more experienced and get to know your products better, you might be able to add more stuff.  But the more stuff you use, the harder it is to tell what's working and what's not. 

5.  Beach sprays contain some sort of salt, which can be drying.  You can still use them if you like, but be aware of the potential for drying out the hair.  The best way to get good day 2 hair is to get a good day 1.  That means most of your work will happen on wash day.  And if that doesn't work, then the best way to wake up your curls is with moisture, which means water/conditioner.  Are you using a water/conditioner mix?  Try getting your hair wetter.  You can add a little extra gel too, but the gel is just for hold, it won't re-curl hair that's stretched out. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 26Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Dang! That was a very thorough, thoughtful, and clear answer! I couldnt have asked for anything more! This is such a wonderful little network of like people, it pretty awe inspiring. It may sound corny but thank you for taking the time and responding straight! Ha get it? Anyways
    1. I knew I was still using too  much! I really struggle with less is more, but it always is!
    2. I'm going make to leave in condish, H2O, and gel and go from there. I tried the coconut h2O spray and twirled it around curls last night so still have to see what happened (will report back)!
    3. I have cousins and sister with curly hair and I am so going to point them this way!
    4. Since you have flat roots issues as well, is it just the nature of the beast? Or is it build up? Im trying not too wash too much but have read that type 2 waves should cleanse? Thoughts in that? Ive switched and bought an Acure clarifying shampoo just in case I do get build up.
    Thanks again @Guide 65
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Agree with Guide. I will give you an alternative to her upside down styling. Whenever I style upside down, I am left with crazy hair that is super tangly. I style completely upright and do rainbow clipping when my hair is about halfway dry or later (I don't diffuse but I assume the same could be applied if you diffuse). See the discussion here.
    Also, thank you for the shout out. I am always happy to help in any way I can. The ladies here (despite not having an account at the time) were essential in teaching me how to love and care for my hair.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    edited December 1
    2nd @Guide 65

You might want to check out Jessie Curl's styling product line.  All of them except the Spirallicious Styling Gel have Magnesium Sulfate (aka salt).    It really helps boost ringlets in my curls.   Their products are also light weight and great for those who can't handle heavy products. I really like the awe sprying spray as a style finisher (especially on refresh days) and to refresh mid-day.  I keep a small bottle in my bag with me at all times. 

But as others a said, salt can be drying.  That is the one complaint I see most about the JC line.  I am actually taking a break from the Rockin Ringlets during the colder months for a more moisturizing curl enhancer.  I do miss my awesome ringlets though. When ever I buy from them I request a moisturizing curl enhancer!  
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | mixed density| protein & coconut sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo: DevaCurl's Low Poo / JessiCurl's Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab
    Stylers: Curl Junkie's Spiral Lotion, JessiCurl's Sprialicious Gel
    4. Since you have flat roots issues as well, is it just the nature of the beast? Or is it build up? Im trying not too wash too much but have read that type 2 waves should cleanse? Thoughts in that? Ive switched and bought an Acure clarifying shampoo just in case I do get build up.
    Thanks again @Guide 65
    For me, it really is just my hair.  It's something I've struggled with ever since going curly, and sometimes even when I wore my hair straight.  Build up definitely makes it worse.  And for me, longer hair makes it worse too.  I prefer a low poo instead of cowash, and I clarify with a sulfate shampoo weekly, and I use a chelating shampoo (to remove hard water deposits) monthly.  It is more often than recommended, but then I also get over-moisturized hair very easily, so my hair can handle the harsher treatments. 
    Current products:
  • Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 26Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited December 2
    Thanks again ladies! Yes I have a bad habit of not staying focused on a  set routine! Just like my curls are ADD (all over the place) such am I! I definitely hear everyone on the over use of products and the willy nilly mix matching of them. I think what Im going to focus on this week is:
    1. Sticking to a set routine with limited products? Does this look good ladies of the LOC?
    -Lowpoo, -one conditioner (both deva curl)
    -Try a curl enhancing cream (Jessicurls) @tinksaysboo I googled the product it says I can get at Walmart? Where do you usually purchase?
    -Arc angel deva curl or Ultra hold gel Deva curl milady's?
    Then for the roots try That rainbow clipping technique @BrittanyM ;
    PRODUCT GUIDANCE POR FAVOR:
    Which ones should I chuck/return/give to a CG?
    1. Acure clarifying shampoo?
    I think I prefer Deva Curl build up blaster. Experience with Acure?
    2. Sea salt sprays?
    3. I likely don't need all: S Luster spray on curl, Tahitian curl defining detangler, and kinky curl detangler (iy carumba!) Which one should I keep? Is there a difference from in the shower detangler to out of the shower?
    4. I suppose the Cantu curl enhancing cream is also redundant overkill? Maybe too thick.....

5. The sea salt spray is not from the natural line, toss it?
    6. What do all recommend for a second day routine? What kind of spray?
    Thanks gals! Couldn't do it with out you (note to self write product list, stick to product list). Upon reflection it looks like Im a wild child on the loose at a candy shop!
    Shout outs again!!!! @Guide 65 for knowing my hair and gently calling me out for over use of product! Welcomed critique because I do have a heavy hand and a manic grocery cart. 
    -Shout out @tinksaysboo for the product recommendation and thanks for the nudge! Where does one purchase jess products?
    -Shout out @BrittanyM Keeping it simple seems to be the name of the game. Thanks for keeping me on track! Not 100 sprays! Just some rainbow clipping. Does mousse make your hair frizz? 
    Have a good one!

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    I buy samples & 32 oz JessiCurl products straight from her website  (https://www.jessicurl.com/)  and 16 oz products from amazon.

JessiCurl doesn't sell 32 oz  in the Island Fantasy fragrance of my products on Amazon, which is why I buy them from the website instead.  You can also only get the samples from the website.  
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | mixed density| protein & coconut sensitive | Modified CGM

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I've actually have never tired mousse just gel. As to the sea salt sprays, keep them in case your hair gets overly smooth and moisturized. There's nothing that says you can't continue to use them. I think most people just find the drying.
    edited December 4
    Mousse is like a gel, it helps tame frizz.  When I started CGM I used Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Mousse.  I really liked it when my hair was long (and damaged) as most gels weighed it down.   Not sure if it was the length or the damaged hair, but once I cut it my hair was able handle heavier gels, which in turn have better frizz control. 

In my opinion natural hair care is a bit of give and take. You sometimes have to decide on what you would rather have, for example: "curlier hair with some frizz"  or "minimal frizz but less curly".   Yea I suppose you can always search to have it all, but that just seems like a really long frustrating journey to me.  

@tinksaysboo I think you're right. I just got frustrated but think (again)
    using the wrong products. Too heavy or what not. I think curly girls can get overwhelming if you get detoured and down the tangled rabbit hole of knots and it builds up to where ya just want to all go down the drain. Ha. So keep pulling through right? And one day my curls will be victorious! What I have learned:
    A. I was using very heavy products (switched em)
    B. I definitely have to different types of curls (and hair completely). Figuring out what they are and what they need have been the most frustrating! 
    C. Now I think I also overload product (poor impulse control? Do t with make too!) and use the wrong kinds still!
    @tinksaysboo ; you have said before that you have different curl patterns and hair types. Any recommendations in how to style? Did you really just trial and error find it and how do you style them separately if you do? Thanks!!!

@BrittanyM I think our hair maybe a little similar. I was using sea salt for a root boost but it may be impacting hair now. Do you use any type of root boots? Or do you mind sharing your routine with us? Cause you may not know this....but you're kinda a big deal?! Ha! You rock. Thanks.
    When learning how to deal with different curl and hair types I started by treating my hair for the majority.  My hair was mostly fine/medium, low porosity, and 2b when I started.  Then I would notice things like "this section of hair is less curly" so I would look on line for tips to define curls and then do it on just that section.  Or, when I noticed my canopy was always a lot frizzier than the rest, I looked up for hair that desperately needs moisture, and did that just on the canopy. 

@Guide 65 I think I am in need for a trim! I haven't had one in forever! You list that you are protein sensitive, how does this impact your hair? I keep flip flopping from if I am or am not? That is the question.... Yaggggh! And all those side topics! I loose focus and stray from the path: first step, recognize my hair types and keep it simple! HOW TO RECOGNIZE AND STICK TO  A REGIMNE 

In a previous chain you have written that the wave maker Diva  messes up your hair, I think mine as well!   
    Your sage wisdom helped with my too much use of multiple products and helped focus more on setting techniques.
    Thanks gals! Think I got it all in the notes and off to practice! Thanks again. All questions answered until next time
    '
    My hair is protein loving.  It can't get enough!  In general, not enough protein makes your hair limp, the curls droop and fall out quickly, the hair becomes really soft.  Too much protein makes the hair feel stiff and tangley.  In both cases, the curls won't clump together.  But then there's other hair that will react the opposite way - too much will make the hair soft and limp, and not enough will make the hair tangley and stiff.  It's really confusing!

Since you're new, it's probably best to just ignore the whole protein question.  If your hair starts acting and feeling weird, then you can revisit the question and analyze your products and try to figure out if you need more or less.  Eventually you'll get to know how your hair acts when you've used too much or too little.
    Current products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file