Can I use regular conditioner to co-wash?

anitsirk92anitsirk92 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Is it okay to use regular conditioner to co-wash during the week or should I use a product that's specifically for co-washing?

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,706Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    It's perfectly fine to use a regular conditioner to cowash.  That's what Lorraine Massey suggests in her CG book.  A lot of people use Suave Essentials or Tresemme Botanique because they're cheap, easy to find and work well as a cowash.  Just be careful if you want to buy the Tresemme - there's a couple different varieties and only one of them is CG friendly. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • anitsirk92anitsirk92 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    So when using a conditioner as a co-wash should I avoid putting it on my scalp?
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Nope, use the conditioner on your scalp and use the scrubbing motion to clean your scalp. If you are worried about thinning hair with conditioner on your scalp and have this condition, you should avoid co washing altogether.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    Second what everyone else has said.   In fact, majority of what I read says you should be concentrate on massaging your scalp and not rub your strands.  What drips down from your scalp will clean your strands.  My curly stylist tells me I should continue massaging my scalp while I rinse as well.  

Also to note - true co-washing is washing with a normal conditioners, aka conditioner without sulfates.    Most products labeled as co-washes are conditioner cleansers, which means they contain gentle sulfates.  So you are actually low pooing, not co-washing, despite the name of the product. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | mixed density| protein & coconut sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo: DevaCurl's Low Poo / JessiCurl's Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab
    Stylers: Curl Junkie's Spiral Lotion, JessiCurl's Sprialicious Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file