Question about conditioner?

Ashe0000Ashe0000 Posts: 32Registered Users Curl Novice
For shampooing, I use Chagrin Valley Soap and Salve bars.  My scalp hasn’t been happier.  But, to cater to the length, I’d like to know if using a regular conditioner is really that bad afterward?  I do not co-wash, and ACV rinses don’t provide enough moisture.  If I am just using non-cg conditioner to detangle and rinse it all out, is that really tthat bad? 

Comments

• cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Conditioner are a must after shampooing. Shampoos, even sulfate free ones, can be dehydrating to the hair and conditioners put that moisture back into the hair. ACV rinses are not meant to condition the hair but are more for clarifying purposes to get rid of buildup. 

If you're using a sulfate free shampoo, which I believe Chagrin valley is, then if you're using a non-CG conditioner, it will have silicones in it. Silicones can build up on the hair, preventing moisture from getting into the hair and can cause frizz and product buildup. Silicones also can't be removed from the hair without a sulfate, which is an extremely drying way to cleanse the hair. Your Chagrin valley shampoo bar, being sulfate free, isn't going to get rid of the silicones in a non-CG friendly conditioner. ACV rinses will also not be able to remove silicones. Over time, this is going to cause products to buildup on your hair and not allow moisture into  your hair which is going to cause frizz and can cause your hair to become limp and lifeless. 

I suggest you continue to use the Chagrin valley shampoo bar as it seems that's what your hair and scalp like, but you should get a good conditioner that is silicone free to make sure your hair is properly moisturized. 
  • Ashe0000Ashe0000 Posts: 32Registered Users Curl Novice
    @cnic216 Thank you, first of all.  That was the fastest response to date for answers to my question! Lol 

Sexond, yes CVSS shampoo bars are Sulfate, silicone-free.  They suggest using ACV as a way to condition, which sounds great.  However, i don’t get very oily and we know oils don’y travel down to the ends.  I have incorporated a chelating shampoo one time a month, to give my scalp a deep cleansing (which the CG method does not really tell us—we still get buildup).  

Again, thank you so much.  I’ll keep working on finding conditioners that I can get a lot off that are CG, like Suave.  The one I am using by Renpure is not agreeing with my hair—I think it’s the coconut.  
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Chic has you covered. Completely agree.
    Don’t mind me.  I’m over here in hair denail.  Lololol
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Glad I could help! Suave Naturals are good inexpensive conditioners. I've also heard that Tresemme Boutanique is another good one you might want to try. Keep us updated!
    A good moisturizing but has great slip is the Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm. If you are in the US or Canada, you can find it at Sally's. I think the Shea Moisture conditioners are more moisturizing that the Conditioning Balm but the Conditioning Balm is more moisturizing that Tresseme or Suave.
    I have had some decent success with Tresemme (Naturals was great—until my hair started not really enjoying coconut or proteins. I find them nice and thick (which is what I would need for shower detangling).  I haven’t yet tried the Botanique subline—I’m only just now knowing Botaniquue is basically Naturals!  And I love the GVP balm.  It is so thick, I usually use it as a deep treatment.

i might head to the drugstore to pick up a bottle of the Tresemme.  Though, I’d have to hijack a pump from an old bottle.  Lol

thank you guys!  
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    BrittanyM said:
    A good moisturizing but has great slip is the Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm. If you are in the US or Canada, you can find it at Sally's. I think the Shea Moisture conditioners are more moisturizing that the Conditioning Balm but the Conditioning Balm is more moisturizing that Tresseme or Suave.
    For some reason GVP conditioning balm stopped working for me. Don’t know if they changed the ingredients or what. Doesn’t get my hair moisturized slippy like it used too. In the past couple of weeks I’ve been using Cantu Hydrating conditioner and has been very moisturizing and slippy. 
    It still works for me, though I don't like it as a deep conditioner unless I mix it with honey and aloe first. The only time it didn't have slip was when I have build up. Hopefully the ingredients haven't changed for the worse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file