Help! Need some Curl Guru Guidance

Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 32Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
edited November 2018 in Information for Newbies
Hello and may the curl be with you! I need grave assistance from y'all. I have been trying the curly gurl way for about two months. I have to admit I am a spaz and have trouble following a product through or a technique (i.e. being hands off or using the right amount of product). I can  give up rather easily and move to another product. Although Im sure some can relate to feeling discouraged by the process. But with this QandA format with other curly girls, I feel hopeful. So heres whats going on, and you're an angel if you can help shine a lit on the right curl path for myself and my mane. Here are the frustrating bumps in the journey to smooth curls. A. I color my hair (sssshhh I'm a red head at heart). So I don't know if its over processed or what. But some of the issues have been longterm. Past attempts to go full curl haven't worked, or I just used so much product I looked like Motely Crue from the 80's. 1. My roots have always laid really flat. But during this process even more. And they are like plastered (or have that sensation) to my head and don't have a lot of wiggle room to be flow or bouncy. Ive tried the apple cider (that does seem to sort of help). Deva curl buildup (thats nice) and it kind of assists with this strangeness. My fav shampoo all around has been the Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo (and that leaves my hair soft and workable). Advice: what is happening to my weird flat, roots that lead to clumping (not in good way) and what can I do to avoid it? 2. My hair seems to be all over the place! I do believe I am 2B waves, but the porosity thing stumps me! Ive taken the test but then feel that there are varying options to porosity, products, application etc. So I think the top is high or medium porosity, and the bottom of my hair seems to struggle in absorption (showing signs of low porosity). Its been hard to find a way for the bottom of my hair to curl. Again it seems to take a lot of product. The problem is the lack of absorption. I literally have to section it off and do it in small chunks, otherwise it just knots and balls up Ha! Again the bottom half does same things a roots, sort of stiff and rigid! Today they are better but again really had to use a cocktail of sorts. ADVICE: Any one else suffer from this strange plague and anything I can do to work with it?  Does it sound like low porosity to you and how to care for two different hair types?  3. Even though I have "wavy" hair it can actually be kind of kinky (well coarse I suppose). So the squish and condish doesn't work. I think I do have to section it. So if any one can provide techniques, products and more...my curls ad I will be forever indebted. BTW mousse....does not work. XoXo Unless it chocolate and I can eat it. PRODUCTS: Im currently using 1. Cantu Apple Cider rinse (when needed) 2.  Deva Curl build up (when needed) 3. Tresems shampoo when needed 4. Giodivanna (co wash) 4. Shea Raw Moisture detangler 5. then #4 conditioner 6. Spray Luster scurl activator moisturizer 7. Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream 8. devacurl gel 9. deva curl super cream 

Best Answers

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    edited November 2018 Accepted Answer
    Welcome! That greeting made me smile, thank you!

1. My roots have always laid really flat. But during this process even more. And they are like plastered (or have that sensation) to my head and don't have a lot of wiggle room to be flow or bouncy. Ive tried the apple cider (that does seem to sort of help). Deva curl buildup (thats nice) and it kind of assists with this strangeness. My fav shampoo all around has been the Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo (and that leaves my hair soft and workable). Advice: what is happening to my weird flat, roots that lead to clumping (not in good way) and what can I do to avoid it? 
    Try clipping! I do this when my roots look flat when wet.  If they are flat after I dry, usually flipping my head upside down and shaking my fingers through the roots help.  

Caster Oil is pretty heavy so this could be weight down your curls, especially if you area Type 2.

2. My hair seems to be all over the place! I do believe I am 2B waves, but the porosity thing stumps me! Ive taken the test but then feel that there are varying options to porosity, products, application etc. So I think the top is high or medium porosity, and the bottom of my hair seems to struggle in absorption (showing signs of low porosity). Its been hard to find a way for the bottom of my hair to curl. Again it seems to take a lot of product. The problem is the lack of absorption. I literally have to section it off and do it in small chunks, otherwise it just knots and balls up Ha! Again the bottom half does same things a roots, sort of stiff and rigid! Today they are better but again really had to use a cocktail of sorts. ADVICE: Any one else suffer from this strange plague and anything I can do to work with it?  Does it sound like low porosity to you and how to care for two different hair types? 
    The float test is really unreliable.  Mixed porosites is very common (which is one of the reasons why the float test isn't always accurate).  I think the best way to tell is observe how long it takes your hair to absorb water and how long it takes your hair to dry.   I am not sure your hair knotting and balling is related to porosity levels.  It sounds like something else but I honestly don't know what.  Hopefully another curly on here knows.  Your lack of absorption does sound like low porosity, though.  I have the opposite issue as you, my top is lower than the bottom half.  And my right side is lower (and less dense) than the right side .  My hair overall is low porosity so I treat it all like that.   I concentrate on my top & right side when I put in products to make sure I am really scrunching the products in.  I also use my diffuer for longer periods on the areas that are lower.

3. Even though I have "wavy" hair it can actually be kind of kinky (well coarse I suppose). So the squish and condish doesn't work. I think I do have to section it. So if any one can provide techniques, products and more...my curls ad I will be forever indebted. BTW mousse....does not work. XoXo Unless it chocolate and I can eat it. PRODUCTS: Im currently using 1. Cantu Apple Cider rinse (when needed) 2.  Deva Curl build up (when needed) 3. Tresems shampoo when needed 4. Giodivanna (co wash) 4. Shea Raw Moisture detangler 5. then #4 conditioner 6. Spray Luster scurl activator moisturizer 7. Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream 8. devacurl gel 9. deva curl super cream 
    Mixed curl types are super common (I would argue more common than having a single curl type).  You are using a lot of heaving products that could be weighing down your waves.  The Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream and Deval Curl Super Cream are essentially the same thing, you should only use one of them.

Hope this helps.  Good luck! 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I actually think you might be high porosity. Here’s why. You state your hair tangles  state too light and your hair wisps, and you color. This typically indicates high porosity or damaged hair. My bleached hair tangles together terribly almost like it zips together.
    how are you coloring your hair? If it’s boxed dye, I suggest switching to a color and developer where you mix it together. This will be less damaging and your results might be better (I can help if you’re interested but no shame if you’re happy with your color, and if you’re using a colorist, definitely continue).
    now if you regularly using that tresseme shampoo with sulfates, you definitely don’t have build up. If you occasionally use it, you may have build up. Sulfates will remove build up. The other products will not remove it all so do use it if you need it.
    does the Cantu have beeswax? This could be an issue. I wouldn’t ditch your Shea Moisture JBCO shampoo yet. It doesn’t weigh down my hair (I find it too stripping but that’s my hair) and you said you like it. The castor oil in it is little and mitigable.
    Last, try using one product or layering the two deva curl cream and gel. Less may be more with you.

• cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157 Curl Connoisseur
    edited November 2018 Accepted Answer
    I agree with @tinksaysboo that the products you're using might be a little too heavy for wavy hair. I wouldn't worry too much about your shampoo, but definitely take another look at your conditioner (shea butter is also very heavy) and your stylers. 

As far as the tangling goes, I agree with @BrittanyM that sounds like high porosity hair to me. I have high po hair and I am forever dealing with tangles, even on freshly washed and detangled hair. A trick that helps with better absorption for me is to style on pretty close to soaking wet hair. It does take longer for it to dry, but the results are so much better than trying to apply on towel dried or just damp hair, in my opinion. It also helps with keeping tangles to a minimum until I'm done with styling.

Welcome, and good luck! Keep us updated!
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks milady's! So I can just look at your profiles and it will tell me the products you use? I need like a curl map to follow! Ha! I go into the stores all ready, but like kids in a candy shop, I tend to walk with a slew of bad candy for my curls (well not "bad" but  off the OG 2b wavy high po plan).
    I don't have a concrete list of products I use because I like to switch things up, but I think most wavies tend to use gels since they are usually lighter than creams. You might try Deva Curl's wavy line as I think those products will be light and define your waves. If you're looking for a great detangler, Kinky Curly Knot Today is a great one and is also very light. In your case, you should stay away from things that a lot of heavy oils and butters in them (like castor or shea) and look for lighter oils (like argan or almond).  

As far as styling, I would use the least amount of products possible. You can probably get away with a good leave in and a gel. Also be sure to either flip your head over and scrunch or clip your roots so that your roots aren't plastered to your head. 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I would maybe try leaving a bit of your conditioner in, as in don't rinse it out completely then style with gel. See how that goes.

Answers

• Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 32Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited November 2018
    Thank you!!! Crazy our hair is different all over! Its like 4-wheeling and hittin different dirt! I knew I was being excessive with the products. My hair is wavy but the castor oil shampoo seems to work well? I could be shellacking and weighing down. Ugh! I think Im wavy but maybe dense hair? So any product recommendations? Clipping looks pretty solid! Thanks for helping me look less wild and more (potentially) civilized.

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @BrittanyM ooo I haven't heard that about high porosity hair!  good to know! 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• Calamity AbbyCalamity Abby Posts: 32Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Thanks ladies!! I have been struggling with the porosity issue and By Jove!! I think you may be right!! Okay okay busted (this is why I need a support group) cause I always go big!!!! And never with good outcomes! Ha! So maybe I am just gunking it all up? So if my curl girls could just recommend a steadfast routine than I can commit to follow it!! Rather than this all you can eat castor oil, gel, chocolate mousse buffet! So shoot: colored hair, more curly and manageable on the top, but roots can either be plastered or frizzy, bottom hair less easy to be curly (healthier but just wavy), dense and seems to not absorb product, also whatever is happening, bottom stair hair and top hair struggle in living together. Shoot you product recommendations and you’ll be blessed with curl wings by the curl fairies. Thanks again!!
    Thanks milady's! So I can just look at your profiles and it will tell me the products you use? I need like a curl map to follow! Ha! I go into the stores all ready, but like kids in a candy shop, I tend to walk with a slew of bad candy for my curls (well not "bad" but  off the OG 2b wavy high po plan).
    Man oh man! Left to my own devices I was shellacking and way over goopifying. Story of my life, more is always more. My hair is dry though and strangely coarse (in a way) so other curl forming products of leave in? Or just stick to trying gel only for a bit? Ill be sure to report back

Apologies for the double responses. Dont know what happened there. But pleased to reported I've been putting into practice what all you Curl Guru's recommended. 
    1. I think I am high po. But still don't know whats up with the bottom part of my hair, it just seems resistant to curl. 
    Question: has anyone experienced that? Suppose it just seems dense.
    2. I think I was definitely using way too many products and yes, way too heavy of products. I've been practicing some tips shared and already having better results! Thanks!
    Question: In my readings it says that a curl expert hair dressers is a must. Agreed ladies? A good place to go in the beginning phases? I've never had a curl focused cut.
    3. I have bad reactions to mousse and have also figured out the bane of my existence....Over working my hair i.e. touching it too much!
    4. next goal: to figure out how to get body into my roots with out frizzing them out.
    Really appreciate all the guidance, the curl path can be a rough journey all alone ;).

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Curl experts are good but not necessary. They tend to be pricy so I've never seen one.
    Do try clipping. It will help with body.
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    It depends on your hair type whether or not you need a curl expert or a curly cut. I'm not sure how much of a necessity it would be for a wavy texture but from a super curly stand point, I think it does become more of a necessity. If you want to try and find someone, I'd start with the Deva curl website. They have a salon finder that can tell you if there are any Deva certified stylists in your area. You can also try by just googling who does curly cuts in your city and looking at reviews. 
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    +1 DevaCurl's salon finder.  They even list "deva inspired" stylist or something like that.  Meaning they are not officially certified for a deva cut (which is really just a brand name cut), but have taken some classes with DevaCurl.  They will be cheaper than an officially certified Deva Stylist. 

Yelp is also a great place to find curly stylist  who don't choose to affiliate with DevaCurl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file