What's my hair type? Question about porosity!

anitsirk92anitsirk92 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I've been trying to figure out what my hair type is. I want to say I have both 2c and 3a curls but what do you guys think? Also what's the best way to figure out your hair porosity? 

Answers

• cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I agree that you're in the 2c/3a range - gorgeous! The best way to tell your porosity is to pay attention to how your hair behaves - meaning, how long does it take to air dry? When you use products, do they easily absorb into your hair or do they sometimes just sit on top of your hair? How long does it take for your hair to become saturated with water? Sometimes you can also tell just by the feel of your hair. If you take a single strand of hair, does it feel smooth (low porosity) or bumpy (high porosity)?

You can really do any test, the only one that I would suggest you NOT do is the float test as that test is not very accurate and so many different things can alter the results. 

Also remember that it's totally possible that you could have more than one type of porosity throughout your hair. Good luck! 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Second cnic216
  • anitsirk92anitsirk92 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    So my hair strands are definitely bumpy! My hair seems to accept moisture pretty well but it takes forever to dry! I think that's where my confusion is coming from??
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    So my hair strands are definitely bumpy! My hair seems to accept moisture pretty well but it takes forever to dry! I think that's where my confusion is coming from??
    It could be. The more products you put on your hair, the longer it will take to dry, especially if you're using heavier products (things like creams that contain oils or butters). 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    High porosity hair can take a long time to dry as it is trying to hold onto moisture as best it can. My high porosity hair takes 5 or so hours to dry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file