Hello :)

alison8alison8 Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte

Hi all, just want to say hi to all of you :)

I'm an Asian wavy, living in hot and humid place. I did not know anyone who has waves except 2 Geman/Chinese mixed kids. I thought I just have bad hair since puberty, I never thought that my hair is not straight. Most people here are born with straight hair, curly/wavy hair is thought to be “Caucasian hair”.

For years I have been straightening my hair chemically. Some years ago I gave up heat tool and stopped color treatment, hoping that would make my hair “better”. I also started using silicone and sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, coconut oil as deep conditioner. I use boar bristle brush to brush 100 strokes a day religiously. But my hair never behave like my friends’ perfect straight hair.

I stumbled across this site and started to wonder. Since I had been using solely CG friendly products anyway, so one night after shower I just didn’t brush my hair, and instead of rubbing my hair I scrunched the water out. And I realized that since puberty I have wavy hair! It was barely very loose 1C-2A, but now they’re slowly becoming more defined.

There are still many things I don’t understand and learning. Like I never did PT in my whole life, and I thought I haven’t used heat tool or colour my hair, it shouldn’t be damaged or lack protein. I did a strand test and found my hair stretching, so did my first gelatine PT in my life, the result was so amazing. I bought my first diffuser (100% humidity is real here, you start to smell mildew if you don’t blow dry), and I start to see spiral bouncy waves. I learned to diy my hair product which I enjoy doing that a lot. 

Of course, most days are still not that great hair day, I still have a lot of frizz that don’t want to obey. But now every time I look at the mirror, I don’t see that I have strange imperfect not-quite-straight hair. Now I see big crazy wild waves that I can identify as who I am. Now whenever someone asks me why I don’t straighten my hair, I can explain and not feel like a freak!

Comments

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    Welcome!  

It's great that you are going CG!  The curly girl method really helped me embrace my natural curls!  Take a look at your product's ingredients and see if they have any humectants. Here is a NaturallyCurly.com list of common humectants found in hair products.  In high humidity conditions, humectants may attrct too much water to the hair from the wet environment.  This can cause the hair to become big and frizzy.  Do you know your hair's porosity?  High porosity hair suffers more than low poristy.  Avoiding humectants will help with the frizz! 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | mixed density| protein & coconut sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo: DevaCurl's Low Poo / JessiCurl's Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab
    Stylers: Curl Junkie's Spiral Lotion, JessiCurl's Sprialicious Gel
  • alison8alison8 Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited November 28
    Thanks! That totally makes sense!
    I can style and diffuse my hair perfectly, 1 hour after I go out I'm a frizz ball. I use Tresemme Botanique nourish and replenish conditioner, and I did see there's humectant even though it's quite low on the list. I also use Taft gel (the CG friendly one), and there's humectant too...
    I'll have to investigate what else I can find here, I have to admit it's not even easy to find CG friendly products here. But what is more important to not have humectant ingredients? I imagine styling gel would be most important?

I once did the put-hair-in-a-bowl-of-water test, the hair floated on top. In fact I thought all hair float on top of water, because that's how my hair is all my life... And my hair takes like 8 hours to dry if it's like 70% humidity outside, never dries if it's 90% above. So I guess low porosity?
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    @alison8 ; In high humidity conditions, humectants may attract too much water to the hair from the wet environment.  This can cause the hair shaft to swell, the cuticle to become ruffled, and hair to lose its shape and become big and frizzy. Porous hair suffers from this problem more so than non-porous hair.  Some humectants may develop a sticky texture in these conditions as well.  

Gel is important so you have to find a humectant free gel.   I don't know what is available where you live, but Kinky Curly's Curling Custard is a popular in the US. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | mixed density| protein & coconut sensitive | Modified CGM

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    So happy you are making progress and loving your hair!
    ps, I live in a humid environment maybe not as bad as yours but humectants don’t bother me. Having a strong hold gel should mitigate some of the humectants.
    BrittanyM said:
    So happy you are making progress and loving your hair!
    ps, I live in a humid environment maybe not as bad as yours but humectants don’t bother me. Having a strong hold gel should mitigate some of the humectants.
    Just shows that just because a book says so doesn't mean it's always so! 

• alison8alison8 Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    To be honest I'm still experimenting with gel, these days I'm trying to get a even and enough hold gel cast all over my head and try to sleep in it. I'll see how it goes and finish my tub of taft first. I think I can order kccc on iherb, but it's kind of expensive and if I use the amount same as I use my taft now, I'm going broke soon!
    Here the gel mostly have no ingredients label, some Japanese made gel only has Japanese that I cannot read. With ingredients I can read they always have silicone. What a joy I had when I discovered Taft in a small shop! Cg products searching is like treasure hunting sometimes  :D
    edited November 28
    I've never tried it, but I've seen a lot of curlies make their on flaxseed gel. 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/the-best-diy-flax-seed-hair-gel-recipe-ever 

I sleep in my gel cast!  I really like using a hair buff to keep them protected while I sleep (I toss & turn a lot). I usually get my hair to about 90% or more dry before I put it up.  In the morning I just shake out my head and let everything settle then scrunch out the crunch.    The buff also helps  give me a little bit of extra volume and lift at the root.   I will  note that the buff does have a tendency to straighten my curls at the nape, especially on refresh days, so I have to spend a little extra time reviving them in the morning.  

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Flaxseed gel supposedly doesn't have hold but does define hair and hold moisture. You may want to consider making it as I heard it's easy and inexpensive. And it's glycerin free so need to worry about a possibility of glycerin equaling frizz.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file