Do "anti-aging" ingredients slow down the going gray?

tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
I have been doing deeper dives into ingredients in my hair products and have noticed that some ingredients claim anti aging properties, such as Malus Domestica Fruit Extract (apple stem cells).  

First off - what does anti aging in hair mean?  The only thing I can think of is going gray.  So per question, do anti aging products slow down the going gray process?
2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Best Answers

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,722 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I'm no scientist but I don't think anti-aging products stop us from aging in any way, shape, or form. They might make wrinkles less noticeable and might tone up skin some, but they don't make us stop aging. We still have "insert age here" year old skin and lungs and hearts and eyes and hair follicles. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,722 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I'm guessing it makes hair look softer, shinier, healthier, which makes it younger looking. And like anti-aging skincare, anti-aging hair care won't stop the actual aging/graying process
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SojSoj Posts: 45 Curl Novice
    Accepted Answer
    Seriously - APPLE stem cells that you apply topically are NOT going to do anything at all.  The only "herbal remedy" I've ever heard of that has ANY indication that it MIGHT SLOW DOWN (not stop and certainly not reverse) the aging process ALSO causes liver damage and a plethora of other problems.  And NO, I am NOT going to tell you what that stuff is (allegedly).  You have to ingest it for it to do anything at all, btw.

There are two types of melanocytes in your hair follicles that produce two different types of melanin, one is reddish and I've forgotten what the other one is.  Your hair goes grey (actually white, there is no such thing as a grey hair) because those melanocytes die off as you age and stop injecting color into your hair as it grows.  There is current research underway that may lead to slowing or stopping this process. Read about it here:

https://www.thoughtco.com/who-is-inventing-the-cure-for-grey-hair-1991838

Answers

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @jeepcurlygurl I know that anti aging creams don't stop aging.  But in reducing the appearance of wrinkles, it can give the effect of "slowing" down the process when you start using them early.  

But what do anti aging products do for hair? 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ah. that makes a lot more sense than slowing down gray hair turning gray haha.   I've honestly never given much thought to what happens hair as it ages besides turning gray.   

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Interesting question. I just figured that anti-aging products for hair helped protect the hair from damage, like from pollution and UV rays. But you're right, if it were truly anti-aging, they would stop your hair from going gray!
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file