Judge a Product By Its Ingredients, Not Its Name. November 26

tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
This is a new weekly thread where I post the ingredients of two products along with some questions to answers based just on the ingredients.  I will reveal the products on Friday.

These two products are labeled and marketed as the same type of moisturizer 

Product A
Water (Aqua, Eau), Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Esters, Glycol Distearate, Ceteareth-20, Behentrimonium Chloride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Astrocaryum Murumuru Seed Butter, Theobroma Grandiflorum Seed Butter, Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Humulus Lupulus Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Quaternium-82, Polyquaternium-10, Cetrimonium Chloride, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Propylene Glycol, Glycol Stearate, Polyquaternium-7, Citric Acid, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum), Blue 1 (C1 42090), Yellow 5 (CI 19140)

Product B
Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Diheptyl Succinate, Capryloyl Glycerin/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Fragrance (Parfum), Behentrimonium Chloride, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Powder, Malus Domestica Fruit Extract, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Distearyldimonium Chloride, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Ethylhexanoate, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glycerin, Quaternium-80, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Citric Acid

1.  One of these is a drugstore brand and one is not. Can you tell which?
2. What type of product do you think these are?  Deep Conditioner, Rinse Out Conditioner, Leave in, or Curl Enhancer? 
3. Which appears more moisturizing? 
4.  Any other comments/observations based on the ingredients? 

Past Themes:
Co-Wash or Low Poo?
2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Comments

• cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for continuing the fun game @tinksaysboo

1. Product B is the drug store product. 
    2. I think these are leave in conditioners
    3. Product A seems more moisturizing. 

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    1. Product B is the drug store product.
    2. I think Product A is a deep conditioner and Product B is a leave-in.
    3. Product A seems more moisturizing.
    4. I wonder if Product A is a Deva product because of the hops extract.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    This is fun!  I'm so used to reading ingredients now, but never without knowing what the product is.  It's a lot harder this way!

Product A looks like a Deva deep conditioner.  I know it's not Deep Sea Repair, so maybe the other new one.

Product B I think is a drug store conditioner, and not as moisturizing or as thick as A.  I've seen the radish root ingredient before, but I can't remember what product it was.  Could it be a Garnier Fructis mask?
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I was interested about radish root.  Apparently it is used as a natural preservative
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Yes, I love this game! Also if you ever need help doing this weekly thread, let me know. I can help out as needed.
    I agree that A is high end and B is drugstore.
    i think they are both leave ins. I have a theory that A is Devacurls decadence leave in because of the butters.
    i think A is probably more moisturizing but also heavier and could build up.
    other observations is B has fragrance listed near the top of ingredients. Whereas it’s close to the last with A.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @BrittanyM ; will defiantly take you up on that!   If you have any theme/product recommendations please PM me :)  

I just might. It would be interesting to compare a high end non CG product with another non CG drugstore products. They don't necessarily have to be products we have, but I have an idea in mind for a shampoo. I just have to find a comparable drugstore version.
    I am also interested in if ingredients match up with how they are marketed, like the co-washes.  

This week was too easy!    Both products were deep conditioners. 

Product A = DevaCurl's Heaven in Hair Deep Conditioner

Product B = NYMN's Matcha Green Tea & Wild Apple Blossom Nutrient Rich Butter Masque

What tipped you guys off  that B was the drugstore brand?    I am still learning to tell the difference ingredient wise.

• cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Product B seemed like the drug store product to me because it seemed like the ingredients weren't as high quality as the ones in A. A has a lot of butters and oils and it seems like it also has more natural extracts too.Fragrance was also pretty high up in the ingredient list B and most higher end products I've seen fragrance is much further down. 

Interesting that these are deep conditioners! When I was reading them they seemed like they would be moisturizing but also light which is why I guessed leave ins. 
    I feel sheepish. Totally did not get them as deep conditioners. The NYMN one didn’t have as “exotic” of ingredients and had fragrance higher on the list so that’s why I thought drugstore.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I too saw that fragrance was high up on the list of the second product, and then the higher-quality ingredients seemed to be *below* the fragrance, which means there's probably hardly any of the higher-quality ingredients in there. Hence drugstore.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Deva tends to use those same extracts in a lot of their products, so that was easy to spot.  I know they don't use butters in their daily conditioners, so that tipped me off that it was a deep conditioner.  So if #1 was Deva, then the second one had to be the drug store product. 

Have you used both?  How do they compare?  Does the cheaper one work as well as the more expensive one?
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    edited December 2018
    @Guide 65  - I've used both and would consider them my favorite DCs.  I've always thought the Deva does just slightly better, but not enough better to justify the x3 cost.  

That being said -- I've been having really soft hair (even the frizz) lately.   I thought it was the CJ Spiral lotion I started using in place of JC's Rockin Ringlets.  I purchased CJ's DC with my purchase so I've been using that as well.  I recently co-washed with the NYMN green tea conditioner and that coarse frizz feeling in my hair was back!  I don't think my hair reacts well to the green tea! But since it's been a constant in my in my CG journey since the beginning, I thought it was just my hair!    My hair was probably "healing" while I used up the tub of Deva DC, which could have given the impression it was "slightly better". 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file