What did you do to your hair today? Week of November 25th

jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
My hair is so blah lately, with lots of spiderweb tangles, flat on top, just not it's usual happy self. So I tried out Olaplex yesterday just for something entirely new. I found steps 3, 4, and 5 for a good price and thought it was worth a try. I put 3 in my hair for half hour then used 4 (shampoo).  My hair absolutely hates shampoo. It doesn't matter what the ingredients are, what's there, what's not there, my hair just hates it. It immediately feels like straw. This was no different. But 5 (conditioner) made it feel much better. It was quite slippy and nice. There was no miraculous change after just one use but my hair does feel nice and soft today and not quite as tangly.
--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
--My CG and grey hair progress -  
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
--My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Comments

• PoochiePoochie Posts: 315Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi jeepy, do you think it is necessary to shampoo out the #3 repairing treatment? Also I wonder if you will get the same results with the #5 by itself.  Did you leave it in?
    I have had a lot of frizz over the summer (heat and humidity in NC), so when I saw Love Beauty and Planet Smooth and Serene argan oil and lavender conditioner in a 22 oz bottle for a reasonable price, I had to try it.  I love the scent, it has a lot of slip and I have had less frizz, although that may be the weather change.  It claims no silicones, parabens or dyes and as far as i can tell is CG-friendly.
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited November 2018
    If I can answer your question, Poochie, I go against Olaplex's instructions. I would not shampoo #3 out just because I want to keep the goodness of #3 in my hair. In other words, I would use it more like a hair mask and get more use out of it. As far as #4 and 5, skip them. I personally believe the shampoo and conditioner is a gimmick by Olaplex to try to regain some of their hold on the market (there are other bond builders now and many people like some of the others more than Olaplex). Plus #5 has silicones if I'm not mistaken. But if you were to get them at a good price, go for it... it's worth a try and you may end up loving them more than some random commenter on an online forum (me... haha).
    As to what I did this week, I blended my roots down with a 8n demi permanent. Used Olaplex no 2 as a deep conditioner (which it is not to be clear I'm just lazy). Styled with leave in and gel after tragically struggling with tangles... I need to cut my hair. The tangle situation is ridiculous at this point. Just waiting for it to dry in front of a heater right now.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited November 2018
    Poochie said:
    Hi jeepy, do you think it is necessary to shampoo out the #3 repairing treatment? Also I wonder if you will get the same results with the #5 by itself.  Did you leave it in?
    I didn't plan on using the shampoo more than once, but it came in the set so I figured I'd  try the whole set as directed just as an experiment. I will keep the shampoo in the back of the cabinet along with another little bottle of shampoo I keep for "emergencies".  I don't like leaving anything in my hair so I will still rinse out the treatment and the conditioner. The conditioner does have dimethicone which doesn't bother me since I would only use this occasionally, not as my regular conditioner. These "bonding" systems are basically  just bottles full of chemicals so they would not be something I would want to use constantly anyway. Just for an experiment.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited November 2018
    I decided to give true co-washing a try again, but part of a routine with low poo washes.  Last Night was my first co-wash and something if off about my hair and I can feel it's not going to refresh tomorrow.   The frizz is similar to what I get when I use protein.  The conditioner was protein free, but it contains two ingredients that that I read in several peaces online "strengthen hair" and act as a "building block for protein".  I could not find anything thing calling them a protein or protein mimicker though.  If it is one of these ingredients, it would explain why my refresh days have been fantastic lately!  

New Mission:  Figure out if my hair hates co-washing, if it hates one of those ingredients, or if it's all in my head (I read about the ingredients before I washed).  I am going to low poo tonight and then co-wash with my rinse out the next wash (will likely be Wednesday).
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Tonight I used Olaplex #3 treatment, then #5 conditioner, rinsed and used Wen Ginger Pumpkin conditioner, rinsed and added my LA Looks Sport Gel, plopped, diffused a little and my hair is quite happy tonight. Not voluminous since the winter dryness has arrived but it's bouncy and less tangly.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @tinksaysboo, what are the ingredients that might be acting like proteins in your product? I'm curious because sometimes botanical extracts cause protein-like reactions in my hair, and I'm trying to nail down which ones.

I washed my hair today, and it turned out pretty well. I used my usual low poo (Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic) and then deep conditioned with Jessicurl Deep Treatment because my hair was horribly dry after five days of not washing it (only three of those days looked good, lol). I then put in a new leave-in (Alaffia Beautiful Curls), along with my usual Living Proof root lifter and Kenra Ultra Freeze Gel.

After I finished diffusing, my hair had some soft halo frizz, like it does when it has too much protein. I'm thinking that one of the herbal extracts in the leave-in is the culprit--I've been trying the gel in the same brand, and it definitely had some kind of herbal extract that acted like a protein. Both contain extracts of chamomile and yarrow. Despite the halo frizz, I was really happy with my waves.

But...immediately afterward, I went to dance class and sweat a bit, which caused my waves to droop. They had seemed to be a bit overmoisturized, and sweating did them in. I'm hoping that they'll be happier tomorrow.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @Therese1, I just found a site where I can get Intelligent Nutrients products and I'm curious about them.  Which of their products do you like?
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited November 2018
    @Therese1 ;Camellia Sinensis Leaf Powder (green tea) and Malus Domestica Fruit Extract (apple stem cells) 

I've seen you mention that herbal extracts do that to your hair.  I still have like 16 ozs of One Condition left, but will experiment cutting out herbal extracts after I finish it up. 

I washed with DevaCurl's Low Poo last night and followed my normal routine/products. I don't have that "protein halo" and my hair doesn't feel off like it did yesterday.   I am not sure what I did different in putting my gel casted hair in a buff last night, but my shape turned out really weird and I completely lost curls at the left side of my nape.  Luckily a water bottle, a little gel, and a diffuser fixed it up without too much hassle. 

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

@tinksaysboo, I wonder if it's the green tea. I think that tannins (which are found in green tea) might coat the hair and make it feel like it has been exposed to protein. (I'm not very chemistry minded, so I can't offer anything more than that.)

It's not *all* herbal extracts that bother me. Most of the time I am fine. But there is an occasional product that I will try that appears to be protein free, and after using it a few times in a row, I will start exhibiting symptoms of protein overload, and clarifying with a sulfate doesn't fix the problem (so it's not your typical build-up). I have also had this same reaction when rinsing with homemade teas. The herb amla will do the same thing. 

@Guide 65, I like a lot of the Intelligent Nutrients products! I have used almost all of them. I will probably sound like a commercial for them, lol. But I really like them.

I use the Harmonizing poo and condish (which are protein free) as my mainstays. They did just reformulate them though, and I'm not sure how the new formula compares with the old (I haven't tried it yet). The poo is very gentle (almost too gentle--if I've used lots of stylers, it doesn't cleanse them off very well), and the conditioner leaves my hair plumped but not greasy. It's light enough to be used in summer without weighing down the hair; in winter, I have to alternate it with Jessicurl Deep Conditioner because it is not heavy enough for constant use throughout the winter (I wash my hair about every four days, so it gets really dried out and needs some serious moisture on wash day).

I use the Volumizing Spray sometimes on wet hair at the roots to add a little stiffness so that I get more body (my hair is too soft for my liking). I've also used it as a finishing spray in the winter (in the summer, the glycerin absorbs the humidity, so the hair spray doesn't hold). I've also used it to refresh my curls midday, by spraying it at the roots of my hair and rubbing it into my scalp (for some extra root lift) and spraying a bit more on the ends and scrunching.

I use the Perfect Hold Hair Spray in the summer. It does really well in the humidity. But in the winter, it dries my hair out something awful. So in the winter, I use the Moisture Replenshing Hair Spray. It really does seem to moisturize the hair. The only thing is, it is kind of heavy, so you can't put much on or your hair will go flat. But it's great in the really low dews. It doesn't form a cast in the high dews for me, so it's definitely for dry weather only.

I've used the Curly Hair Serum, which added curl but also made my hair really soft, which I don't like. I think that might be better for coarser hair. It was really moisturizing.

I have used the Straight Hair Serum as a leave-in, and it seems to cut frizz well. It didn't straighten my hair until my hair became low porosity; then I had problems.

The leave-in conditioner I found to be nice in winter but too heavy for summer. It seems to have some kind of protein in it, though, so I had to stop using it. 

I have tried the Volumizing Foam. I don't like is as much as the spray. The foam is kind of heavy and sticky. I think it might have some herbal extracts that act kind of like protein, because I always seem to have protein-like issues soon after using this product. The smell is kind of weird too. But if your hair likes protein, you might like it. It did add volume.

I tried the detangler and hated it! I can't remember what it did to my hair, but it was awful. And it smelled like vinegar too (there is ACV in it). That one went back to the store.

I have used the shine spray (can't remember if that's what they call it or not) after I have straightened my hair. If it looks a little dull after straightening (I usually straighten it when it is dry and really should be washed), I spray a couple of spritzes of this on my palms and rub them together (to let the alcohol evaporate), and then I rub the product on my hair. It is basically oil and alcohol in spray form. It is not too heavy for my hair when I use it this way.

I tried the wave spray, but it had quinoa protein and frizzed out my hair. Ugh, the trials of the protein sensitive! I think it's worth a try for those who are not protein sensitive, though.

If you buy the products from an approved source, they are returnable if you hate them. I have found them to be amazing for the most part. They are pricey, but you don't need much of them, except for maybe the conditioner. I believe that the company was founded by the man who founded Aveda. I have bought some of the products multiple times: both hair sprays, the poo and condish, and the volumizing spray.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks @Therese1!  I might try some of the volumizing spray.  I never have enough volume!  I would try the poo and condish, but I need to work through some of the bottles I already have before I buy any more.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    edited November 2018
    @Therese1 ; that's what I am thinking.  IWhen I googled what green tea does to hair I read things like "Matcha green tea is also loaded with amino acids, which are building blocks for protein needed for hair growth, repair, recovery, and immunity. and "Green tea has amino acids, which will strengthen your hair"

Amino Acids: They are essential for the structure, function, and regulation of the body's tissues and organs. Proteins are made up of hundreds of smaller units called amino acids that are attached to one another by peptide bonds, forming a long chain. You can think of a protein as a string of beads where each bead is an amino acid.

The Amino Acids in green tea are considered a non-protien aminio acid though.  So now I wonder if hair can dislike amino acids?.  Scieney-y Hair Blog wrote a blog that dances around the subject, but doesn't address non-protien amino acids.  I read the article as amino acid = protein. 

edited November 2018
    Today is refresh day and I am struggling with halo frizz and a weird shape.  My bangs landed some place nice so I decided to leave them unclipped.

1. Flip head upside down and spray with hot water from a spritz bottle until my hair is more than damp not not super wet.  It feels wet but still has a lot of definition.  Scrunch.
    2. Praying Hands a nickle since of CJ's Spiral Lotion.  Scrunch.
    3. Praying hands one pump of JC's Spiralicious Styling Gel on one half of hair.  Repeat on other half. Gently rub fingers through roots.  Scrunch.
    4. Flip hair right side up and shake out to let hair part naturally.  scrunch and gently shape with hands.
    5.  Diffuse to 90%.  Air dry the rest of the way.
    6. Scrunch out the crunch
    7. Flip head upside down and shake on roots
    8.  Shake hair out again and reshape area with flat palm.
    9.  Spritz with JC's Awespiring spray and smoothing over with hands, concentrating on frizzy areas.

Before and After

@Guide 65, yes, the poo and condish are probably the least important if you already have stuff you're reasonably happy with. I was having difficulty finding a protein-free poo and condish that was suitable for fine hair, and this brand fit the bill, so I've stuck with it. I think the Volumizing Spray is really verstatile. I hope you like it!
    @tinksaysboo, that's interesting about some amino acids being nonprotein aminos. Regardless of whether the aminos in green tea are protein ones, I think that the tannins in green tea might still be more of the issue. You could probably steep a bag of green tea in some water and then pour that on your hair as a rinse and see what happens...all for science. :)

It's so tricky when your hair is protein sensitive...it can be really exhausting finding stuff that works. I think it is especially difficult for fine-haired protein-sensitive curlies, because most protein-free stuff is loaded with heavy oils. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file