My hair isnt defined.

akitacakesakitacakes Posts: 12Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Ive tried everything. And when i tell you everything, I mean everything.

Whatever I do, my hair is till this lifeless mild wave, when i know that my hair is naturally 2b-2c. Sometimes i can even get as low as a 1c.

I have no idea what im doing wrong; Here’s my routine.

1. Get in the shower and give my hair a head massage to my scalp to remove build up and other dirt
2. Cleanse w/ deva curl delight low-poo
3. Condition w/ devacurl one condition delight & leave in for 5 minutes (in shower cap)
4.  Apply water to nape of check and squish to condition (then i rinse)
5. Apply conditioner to my ends heading towards mid-shaft (detangling & raking)
6. Quickly Dip hair into water flow (shower)
7. apply deva curls wave maker all over my hair ( praying hands )
8. Spray hair with a water bottle & scrunch ultra defining gel  (scrunch + pump) 
9. Plop with a cotton t-shirt for 20 minutes
10. diffuse

Answers

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    Do you do any type of clarifying? 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | mixed density| protein & coconut sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo: DevaCurl's Low Poo / JessiCurl's Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab
    Stylers: Curl Junkie's Spiral Lotion, JessiCurl's Sprialicious Gel
  • akitacakesakitacakes Posts: 12Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Do you do any type of clarifying? 
    Yes, today i clarified with Cantu ACV rinse. I applied to my scalp, lathered, and rinsed. ( i believe i have high porosity, just wanted to throw that out there. )
    someone, please help.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,464Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I responded to your other thread.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • LaurelLyonsLaurelLyons Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Do you think you are using too much conditioner? My hair would be a flat, lifeless waved mess if I did all that conditioning. If you have frizz, have you tried a light mousse? 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I responded in the other thread too.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,706Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    For my hair, I get better definition when I use a custard or something similar.  The Deva Wavemaker is horrible in my hair.  Try switching that out for something like Deva B'Leave In, KCCC, Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha, Camille Rose Curl Maker.  My favorite right now is Innersense I Create Volume.  It's a clear runny serum.  And my second favorite is the CJPP, which is thicker like a custard.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • machermacher Posts: 1,025Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited November 27
    I’ve had that problem with the Deva Delight line because it has too much protein including the Deva gel. It’s possible you have protein overload. 
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    edited November 27
    @macher ; protein overload is a very possible thing!  That is the issue many curies have with DevaCurl products.  Very few of their products are protein free.  I suggest doing a clarifying wash to remove the protein and start with products that don't have protein.

I really like JessiCurl's products they are all protein free.  They sale samples of everything so you don't have to commit to a full size bottle first.
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | mixed density| protein & coconut sensitive | Modified CGM

macher said:
    I’ve had that problem with the Deva Delight line because it has too much protein including the Deva gel. It’s possible you have protein overload. 
    I have high porosity hair... isn’t my hair supposed to love protein?
    @macher ; protein overload is a very possible thing!  That is the issue many curies have with DevaCurl products.  Very few of their products are protein free.  I suggest doing a clarifying wash to remove the protein and start with products that don't have protein.

I really like JessiCurl's products they are all protein free.  They sale samples of everything so you don't have to commit to a full size bottle first.

Maybe but the products you’re using all have protein. I experienced this problem with the Deva Delight line and Deva stylers. I can’t use all the Delight products because of too much protein. 
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,706Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    macher said:
    All these rules are really just a guideline.  Go by what your hair needs, not by some arbitrary rule.  All hair needs protein - hair is made of protein!  Some hair needs more than others.  Sometimes you get too much protein, so you need to back off.  But that doesn't mean you don't need any protein ever - it just means you have a little too much right now.

Try switching to a protein-free lineup, just for a little while.  If it doesn't work, you can switch back again.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    edited November 28
    @akitacakes ; That is a misinformation that unfortunately gets passed around the curly hair community. Your hair porosity levels do not determine your hair's relationship with protein.   High porosity hair commonly loves protein, but it's false to say this about all.  Protein sensitive high porosity hair is a real thing.

Be very careful about blanket statements like this.  I think a lot of us get stuck on these which ends up making our curly hair journey longer and more frustrating.  Hair is almost as unique as fingerprints.  Just because your hair sounds and looks exactly like someone else's does not mean your hair will react the same way to their products and routine.  

You have to trial and error.  The more you trial and error the more you learn what your hair hates and loves and the easier troubleshooting issues become  :smile:  try ditching the protein and see what happens. 

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,464Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    You could also be having a problem with a certain type of protein. It may be that your hair likes keratin and silk but not soy, for example.

My hair is protein sensitive, but it does like some protein. I use one protein-containing product every two weeks. If I don't use any protein at all, my hair gets flat, straightish, and frizzy. It's trial and error for sure!
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 said:
    You could also be having a problem with a certain type of protein. It may be that your hair likes keratin and silk but not soy, for example.

My hair is protein sensitive, but it does like some protein. I use one protein-containing product every two weeks. If I don't use any protein at all, my hair gets flat, straightish, and frizzy. It's trial and error for sure!
    What’s the product you use that has protein?
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you hair is coarse or coarsish, your hair won’t love protein all of the time, even though you’re high porosity. That’s my hair. 

You may have fine hair (not sure of your properties) but even saying that, hair needs balance usually. On the other hand, some hair can’t get enough protein, etc etc. All of this can depend on your climate, your water, and so on. Probably for you, I’d take out protein for now, give your hair a break, and see how your hair responds. Then you can reintroduce protein in smaller doses etc. 
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file