Did I do any damage to my hair?

curlygirl196curlygirl196 Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
So 3 days ago, I blow-dryed my curly hair for the very first time. I discovered that every morning I would have to straighten the ends of my hair and maybe a few sections here and there because they curl up during the night. Today is the second/third (and last) day in a row where I had to do this in the morning. I heard about how straightening my hair often leads to heat damage and I wasn't sure if I should keep my straightened hair for too long because I wanted to avoid damaging it by straightening. Did I do any damage to my hair by doing this?

Best Answers

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Every time you straighten your hair, you will cause some damage. The question is, how much damage are you causing? Is it so much that the hair cannot spring back? And that is particular to each head of hair. Some people's hair is more easily damaged than others'. 

If you have to straighten your hair, make sure that you use a heat protectant. If you have to redo the ends in the morning, spray more heat protectant on before you restraighten them. When you wash your hair, you might want to look at shampoos and conditioners that have protein, which should help repair any damage. You could also deep condition your hair for extra moisture.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Your ends are more fragile, so it's something to consider. Perhaps you could wrap your hair at night to prevent the curls from reemerging?

Answers

• curlygirl196curlygirl196 Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 said:
    Every time you straighten your hair, you will cause some damage. The question is, how much damage are you causing? Is it so much that the hair cannot spring back? And that is particular to each head of hair. Some people's hair is more easily damaged than others'. 

If you have to straighten your hair, make sure that you use a heat protectant. If you have to redo the ends in the morning, spray more heat protectant on before you restraighten them. When you wash your hair, you might want to look at shampoos and conditioners that have protein, which should help repair any damage. You could also deep condition your hair for extra moisture.
    Thank you for responding! It was a great help!
  • curlygirl196curlygirl196 Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited November 2018
    BrittanyM said:
    Your ends are more fragile, so it's something to consider. Perhaps you could wrap your hair at night to prevent the curls from reemerging?
    BrittanyM said:
    I actually did wrap it in a cotton t-shirt (and it worked wonders) but I had to keep straightening the ends because they still kept on curling up. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file