What did you do to your hair today? Week of November 18th

jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
Winter weather is here in my area of the world, which means my hair will get flatter on top and have less definition. But since I end up with hat hair most of the time for these 4+ months every year, I don't fuss about flat drab hair. Just throw it in a pony or braid and wait for spring. : )
Today I washed with Wen Tea Tree, added Sashapure Curl Cream, plopped, clipped the top, air dried. My hair takes forever to dry with any curl creams or puddings but I didn't have to go anywhere so I didn't bother diffusing. Creams don't give me the hold of my usual gel (LA Looks Sport) but it makes my hair feel soft and moisturized so I skip the gel once in awhile.
--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
--My CG and grey hair progress -  
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
--My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Winter is here for me too! This weather makes my hair super dry and flat. I can do waves for two days, and then I flat iron my hair to get another couple of days out of it before washing. I don't have long enough hair to put it up. Next winter I might leave my hair longer for this dry weather so that I can put it in a ponytail.

I washed my hair yesterday and tried a new gel from Kenra--Ultra Freeze Gel. I like it so far. I low-pooed and conditioned as usual. I put on a little Curl Junkie Beauticurls leave-in and then the Kenra gel and diffused. I had nice waves on wash day, and today for second-day hair I spritzed generously with water and then scrunched in some Sevi Blue Yarrow Gel, which is very moisturizing but doesn't have much hold. I had some nice waves after diffusing. Maybe I can get waves again tomorrow if I refresh this way again.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    With winter temperatures here as well, I'm finally getting a better understanding of dew points, and how they can make for bad hair days. It has not been fun trying to figure out what to do with my hair some days.

Clarified, DC, then followed my usual routine yesterday for products. I usually diffuse dry, but since it was Sunday, I let it air dry. Did not turn out as well as I'd hoped and I'm not sure what I'm going to do for refreshing this morning. I hate sinus headaches. 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Fall's back here, but I'm sure not for long.
    So last week when I was finger detangling, my hand slipped or something and I accidentally jerked out 15 hairs. And they broke at my virgin hair not the bleached bits.
    I don't know what hurt most: the pain from accidentally jerking out hair or the fact that I lost a good many healthy hair strands. I thought I would share if someone found the story kind of funny.
    So this week was a bit of a disaster. I used JBCO to pre poo my roots and finally finished off the last of the Burts Bees Avocado Pre-poo (do not recommend for the reasons ahead). Now that pre-poo is weird. With Cocamidopropyl betaine, it's removed easily. With anything less harsh, nothing. Didn't notice anything until rinsing out a new mask I was trying and my hair felt coated. I tried detangling, nothing. Tried detangling with KCKT, nothing. Jerked out even more hair trying (it was a tragic hair breakage week). Finally gave up and rewashed with a sulfate and left all my conditioner in and easily detangled, added a leave in and gel to finish up. But I'm finally done with that dang Avocado Pre-poo.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited November 2018
    So two things going on this week.  I got my quarterly devacut Friday. I really didn't get much cut, just a tad bit off the bottom layer.  Even though the ends weren't damaged  (no split ends or anything), just cutting off a bit from the bottom made my whole hair "bounce" up.  (1st pic is pre-cut, 2nd is same routine post cut).

My stylist also recommended instead of using KCKT Leave-In Conditioner to leave ~80% of the DevaCurl One Conditioner in.    I think this is giving me the extra boost of moisture I need for the cold weather, but it's not soaking into my fine/low porosity hair as well as the KKNT, which means I'm not going to get past refresh day 2 without dirty feeling hair.  Damn you, build up!

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @BrittanyM, yikes! That sounds horrible. It's amazing how sometimes hair products can be an utter disaster, when they're supposed to help our hair!

@tinksaysboo, your hair looks great in both pics! It's a cute cut. I generally use a leave-in instead of leaving in my rinse-out; I should try leaving in some of the rinse-out and see how that works in this really dry weather. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Therese1 said:
    @tinksaysboo, your hair looks great in both pics! It's a cute cut. I generally use a leave-in instead of leaving in my rinse-out; I should try leaving in some of the rinse-out and see how that works in this really dry weather. 
    Same. I feel like I am not in control with this method.  I am never sure how much I am actually leaving in.  
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    edited November 2018
    On Tuesday, I washed my hair with As I Am Long and Luxe Cowash.
    Then I styled my wash and go with KCKT and UFDCM topped with Wet Line Xtreme gel. 

It's my favorite combo so far and it's not too bad but I need to find a combo that gives me more volume and moisture while maintaining the same level of definition and hold. 

4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
  • tammysctammysc Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    This is my second week of CG and second wash day. I didn’t really do anything to my hair since last wash day. I got annoyed with having it down (always had it on a ponytail before CG) so ended up putting it on my usual high ponytail. Of course it got knotty so I ended up brushing it with a brush. 

Today I: 
    1. Shampoo and condition with goat moisturising shampoo and conditioner 
    2. Used garnier fructis banana hair Food intensive conditioner (used as leave in) 
    3. John Frieda dream curls mousse 
    4. Garnier fructis style gel 

Used praying hands method on soaking wet hair to apply the products and scrunched, plopped for a while. 

When my hair was done/“dry” my hair looked and still looks so greasy and weighed down. This happened last week too. Not sure if the products are not right for my hair or if I’m using too much? Or maybe I should only use gel?
    Anyone have any idea?

my hair is probably 2c/3a... not sure what porosity. 

Also this morning and tonight I applied some castor oil to my hairline as I have some thinning and bald spots on the side and in the middle where it’s parted. Not sure exactly why this happened but anyone else have this? What can I do for it or is castor oil enough? 

hope you are all having a good day 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Wow, that is insane definition, @AlmaPetra! I'm so jealous.
    @tammysc, which gel from Garnier are you using? Since it is only your second week, you could try washing more often. I'll let some others join in with suggestions. As to the bald spots, I would see a dermatologist. But in the meantime, keep all products except shampoo off you scalp.

• bobbybobby Posts: 784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was going to get a perm rod set but it is raining all week, which would have been pointless. Instead, I went for a trim, which come to think of it was needed after three months. Hairdresser also did a shampoo and condition. She added a little volume with the curling iron. 
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @tammysc It sounds to me that you're either using too many products or the products that you're using are too heavy for your hair. The leave in you used is very heavy and a mousse and a gel could be too much to put on at the same time. I'd experiment with just a leave in and a gel or just mousse and gel or switch up your leave in for something lighter. As to the bald spots, definitely agree with @BrittanyM and talking to a dermatologist or your stylist. 
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 411Registered Users Curl Novice
    I straightened it and got a haircut.

Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

• Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 411Registered Users Curl Novice
    AlmaPetra said:
    On Tuesday, I washed my hair with As I Am Long and Luxe Cowash.
    Then I styled my wash and go with KCKT and UFDCM topped with Wet Line Xtreme gel. 

It's my favorite combo so far and it's not too bad but I need to find a combo that gives me more volume and moisture while maintaining the same level of definition and hold. 

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

@AlmaPetra your curls are so pretty! 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file