My hair wont clump?

akitacakesakitacakes Posts: 12Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
hi, i have been trying recently to get more definition; and my hair just wont clump.

theres still loose strands and wont form large strands.

thanks.

Answers

• KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    So, we need a bit more information on your current hair routine to help out. What products are you using and how are you applying them?

I've been embracing my waves and following the CG method since about March of this year, I think and when I first started my hair didn't clump well and i had to experiment with application techniques to get the best clumps I can get (like in my profile pic) but I still have some trouble, especially right now, but I am hopeful that I just need to figure out the season change and how its affecting my hair. 

I have to apply my products to soaking wet hair, still in the shower, gently smoothing and then scrunching them in, usually upright. Flipping my head upside down messes things up for me.
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    When I am having lots of trouble with my hair not clumping, it's usually due to one of three things: (1) I have protein overload; (2) my hair is dry and needs a deep conditioning; (3) I have build-up. 

Having said that, my hair isn't the best at clumping, period, and I agree with @Keeyamah that making sure that the hair is adequately wet (not damp but wet, so it's a little drippy) is important for making clumps.

Some people find that running a comb through their hair after washing helps create clumps. This is what I do, because my hair gets plastered to my scalp after I've washed and conditioned it. I put in my products and then run the comb through, which seems to smooth the hair and cut the frizz. Then I start scrunching, and that creates larger clumps from the very small "clumps" created by the teeth in the comb. But my hair has to be wet enough to create larger clumps. I often add a bit more water from the sink to make sure that my hair is wet enough.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Agree with the ladies above. Do tell us your products and routine and we can trouble shoot for you.
  • akitacakesakitacakes Posts: 12Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    1. Get in the shower and give my hair a head massage to my scalp to remove build up and other dirt
    2. Cleanse w/ deva curl delight low-poo
    3. Condition w/ devacurl one condition delight & leave in for 5 minutes (in shower cap)
    4.  Apply water to nape of check and squish to condition (then i rinse)
    5. Apply conditioner to my ends heading towards mid-shaft (detangling & raking)
    6. Quickly Dip hair into water flow (shower)
    7. apply deva curls wave maker all over my hair ( raking & lightly scrunching)
    8. Spray hair with a water bottle & scrunch ultra defining gel  (scrunch + pump) 
    9. Plop with a cotton t-shirt for 20 minutes
    10. air dry 
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I find that I get less clumps when I rake.  Have you tried praying hands instead? 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm with @tinksaysboo, I started out raking products in, but I get much better clumps when I smooth them in with a praying hands, and then scrunching afterward. It will take some time to get used to the change and "relearn" how to apply them.
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Praying hands might be worth trying. Another tip is to lightly wet your hair (like you do in #6) after applying the wavemaker. The water will reclump your hair and you can then gently scrunch in your gel.
  • anatolvoanatolvo Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I really recommend using a spray bottle and very very wide tooth comb .  my curls look best when I get them to clump from the roots and the only way I have achieved it is by using a wide tooth comb and using comb AWAY from the roots, (my fingers just overseparate and frizzz my hair so I get no definition) after combing with the comb I use the pointed handle (which just looks like one large prong of a comb) and with the help of my spray bottle I further clump my hair into large clumps.  has made the world of a difference in creating separated clumps from root to tip. 
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    One thing I see from your products is that you're using an all protein lineup.  It could be a matter of protein overload that's preventing your hair from clumping.  Try switching  out a couple of your regular products with some that are protein free.  Maybe the conditioner and gel could be switched - those seem to make the biggest difference for me.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    another idea is to try a denman brush. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • AmylizabethAmylizabeth Posts: 56Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair is very fine, and I had alot of difficulty getting it to clump and not lose definition/look stringy a few hours later.. the best advice my stylist ever gave me was to switch my in-shower routine.  I condition and detangle my hair first, then shampoo. 
    2C Fine, long hair, a ton of it. Blonde balayage. East Coast Canadian. 

Wash: Live Clean Fresh Water Hydrating Shampoo
    Monthly Scalp Cleanse: Baking Soda/Conditioner/Peppermint Essential Oil
    CO: Garnier Whole Blends Legendary Olive Conditioner
    Styling: Devacurl Volumizing Foam, Devacurl Wave Maker, Garnier Curl Treat Jelly
    Refresh Day: Klorane Dry Shampoo with Nettle, Devacurl Supercream
    Deep Condition: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt Treatment

My whole wash routine is upside-down... detangling, rinsing, applying products, scrunching, diffusing... the bigger the waves, the better!  

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file