What do I do!?

Marina_KaydaMarina_Kayda Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Okay, so I have fine/medium 3b hair. It's always been really big, dry and frizzy... but in the past month or so, my hair has been looking really moisturized. I was actually really happy with it for a while because it looked so good... and then it started to get flat, lifeless and heavy looking. I thought I might be dealing with product buildup, so I clarified with a diy baking powder rinse, followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse. Afterwards, my hair looked bouncy and big for a couple days, but towards the end of the week, it looked flat and heavy again. 
This is really, really bothering me. I love having big hair. And now people keep asking me what I did, why my hair is so flat, and did I go to the barber and get it thinned?? 
What is going wrong!? And what should I do to keep this from happening!? 

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    When the hair starts getting too moisturized, the best thing to do is to add more protein.  You can do a DIY gelatin mask, or a rice water rinse, or a store-bought protein deep treatment.  Some options for that are Deva Deep Sea Repair or Curl Junkie Repair Me.  Just google for the DIY options.  They're cheap and easy, but sometimes you need to deep condition afterwards, so the ready made masks do both at the same time.

Extra protein should make your curls pop again!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    What products are you using?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Try clarifying with a sulfate to ensure it's not build up. Sulfates occasionally don't harm your hair. Just be sure to follow up with a good conditioner. The baking soda and ACV never removed build up for me and did more harm than good.
  • Marina_KaydaMarina_Kayda Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have been using DevaCurl products for about six months now. I use the original No-Poo line cleanser and conditioner, but I don't normally use any stylers. 
    I tried doing a homemade protein treatment a few days ago... just on a whim to see if it would work. My hair looked great the first day, pretty good the second, and today it's okay... but not amazing. It still feels oily in the back. 
    I'm going to try clarifying with a sulfate shampoo next. Maybe it really is buildup! 
    Thanks so much for helping me with this! :D  
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Let us know how it goes!
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have another clarifying suggestion before you reach for sulfates.   Try clarifying with the Lemon Aid Clarifying Rinse from the Curly Girl Handbook.  I personally find this a better rinse than the ACV.

Lemon Aid Rinse

Combine juice of 1 large lemon* with your usual amount of conditioner, then rinse through hair thoroughly.'

NOTE: A lot of people find 1/2 a lemon is enough as for some this can be drying. Also, for best results it should be thoroughly rinsed out and followed by regular conditioning.

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • Marina_KaydaMarina_Kayda Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Alright, it has been almost two weeks since I did my protein treatment... and my hair is looking amazing! It doesn't look heavy at all... even when I used conditioner, etc. The protein treatment worked wonders!! 
    Thank you so much, ladies, for helping me with this! 
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    So glad it worked for you!  Now you need to figure out how to keep that balance of enough protein, but not too much.  It's tough - I'm going through this right now!  I find my hair needs different amounts of protein at different seasons.  But at least now you know what to look for regarding too much or too little.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    yay!  Glad to hear it worked out!  
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file