Opinions, please! Curl type and Suggestions for fine, dry curls

MoutonNoir77MoutonNoir77 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Would love to hear any suggestions you have for making the most of my fine, frizzy, dry waves/curls. &nbsp;It’s all still really new to me (month 4) so I’ve got a lot to learn and lots of trial and error. &nbsp;I’ve learned that much at least! &nbsp;smile: <br><br>Also, opinions on my curl type would be appreciated! &nbsp;I have no idea and as soon as I think I know, I’m convinced my curls are on to me and change up the curl pattern just to keep me guessing! &nbsp;<br><br>Much love and thank you!

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  I think your hair is really cute, and it fits your face!  What kinds of problems are you having?  And what products and routine do you use now? 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  Many curlies have multiple curl patterns going on that can change!  Luckily, curly type/pattern is not that important when it comes to troubleshooting problems.  Knowing your hair porosity, density, and thickness is most important.  

To add to @Guide 65  questions, are you following the Curly Girl Method?
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • MoutonNoir77MoutonNoir77 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte

Thanks!!!  Apologies in advance for the info overload.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Main issues:

SUPER DRYNESS 

2nd Day refresh - products seem to make it extremely curly/too crunchy 

Weird lift at the crown that makes it hard to not have scalp showing. 

Routine:

clarify 1x/week - Ouidad super fruit renewal shampoo (love)

deep treatment 1x/week - devacurl deep sea repair (meh)

wash every third day and condition - Shea Moisture coconut and hibiscus  

Day 1 products - devacurl b’leave in conditioner (really like, maybe love?) and devacurl light defining gel (like) and devacurl beautiful mess pomade (love), devacurl set it free finishing (meh)

Day 2/3 products - water, devacurl mist-er right refresh spray (don’t like), devacurl curl maker spray gel (not sure I’m using right)

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried skipping refreshing? Or just touching up the bits that need it. Just a thought.
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    BrittanyM said:
    Have you tried skipping refreshing? Or just touching up the bits that need it. Just a thought.

I just started doing this. I find if I Refresh my hair gets stringy. The reason it gets stringy is because my hair needs to get really wet and the point is for me not to get my hair really wet. I just touch up where it needs it. 
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Shea Moisture products have a tendency to build up very quickly on fine hair.  This build up prevents conditioners from working as they should.  If you switch those for something else, it may help with the dryness.  Also you might not need to clarify as often, which will also help.

For refreshing, I use only a pea-sized amount of products on top of damp hair.  Even then, sometimes it's too much.  You can try refreshing with just water and without any additional products, or just do a touch up where needed, as said above.

Also, once you've finished up your light defining gel, try the ultra defining gel instead.  With a harder hold gel, your curls should hold up better and longer, which makes refreshing much easier.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Guide 65 said:
    Shea Moisture products have a tendency to build up very quickly on fine hair.  This build up prevents conditioners from working as they should.  If you switch those for something else, it may help with the dryness.  Also you might not need to clarify as often, which will also help.

For refreshing, I use only a pea-sized amount of products on top of damp hair.  Even then, sometimes it's too much.  You can try refreshing with just water and without any additional products, or just do a touch up where needed, as said above.

Also, once you've finished up your light defining gel, try the ultra defining gel instead.  With a harder hold gel, your curls should hold up better and longer, which makes refreshing much easier.

For me it’s either get my hair really wet and adding product or touch it up without water at all. If find if I have a good amount of product on 1st day hair my 2nd day hair looks good without water or product just touching it up. 3rd day starts to get a little worse but doable. For my hair to look good through out the week I’ll need to do my routine 2x / week. Sunday routine, Wednesday routine, Saturday routine. If I don’t care too much I can do Sunday routine, Thursday routine then Monday routine which would be routine once a week. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file