Tips to Style Type 2 Curls That Easily Lose Their Shape

tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
edited November 2018 in Hair Type 2
Do any other type 2 curlies have trouble with their curls easily losing their shape when you try to put it in an updo?. When I try to put my hair up, I have very few chances to get it right or else it's no longer a curly updo. 

Any tips, suggestions, or recommendations on how to style curls that easily lose their shape?  One thing I am really struggling is getting bobby pins out if I need to readjust.  
2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    My updos are usually done after my hair has already straightened, so I don't have any good suggestions.  I'd love to see how you do a curly updo though?  I've been going through youtube for tutorials, but mostly I see messy buns or things that are too difficult for me to do.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm with @Guide 65: I don't do updos until my hair is pretty straight. If I tried doing them with curly hair, I am pretty sure I would have the same result as you--straightened pieces if I didn't get it right the very first time. Type 2 hair can be really tricky.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • hmr1016hmr1016 Posts: 66Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have better luck using circular banana clips (I think there’s a name brand called puff cuff but you can find them for 3 dollars on amazon), side combs, or small jaw clips instead of the combination hair ties and bobby pins. 
    Current 2B/2C Routine:
    Cleanse -  NYM Curl Talk Shampoo or NYM Clean Freak Cleansing Conditioner
    Condition - Elucence Moisure Balance Conditioner
    Treatments - Olaplex (step 3) or Elucence Moisture Repair Treatment
    Style -  Briogeo Rosarco Milk Leave In + AG Re:Coil

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If my hair is up in an updo, it can’t ever be worn down in its natural state again. The more manipulated my hair is, the more it frizzes and loses definition or shape. I typically won’t do an updo until I can’t wear my hair down anymore.
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm jealous of you ladies who can even do updos, lol. I can't really do them, and don't understand written instructions because I only just recently started playing with being girly and doing my hair, while also discovering my wavy hair, lol. Then again, maybe I don't truly understand what all of you mean by an updo, as I'm thinking something complicated, lol. 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

Keeyamah, I learned all mine from watching Youtbe videos. You get better at them with practice. My definition of updos is anything off the neck including buns or braids.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    BrittanyM said:
    Keeyamah, I learned all mine from watching Youtbe videos. You get better at them with practice. My definition of updos is anything off the neck including buns or braids.
    I define updos as this as well.
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, even with that definition of an updo, I find them difficult to do, lol. Heck, when I first started my CG journey, I didn't know how to put my hair in a pineapple or messy bun. And even now, half up ponytails are difficult and my hair is too short to pull it all into one ponytail.

I may have to see about falling down the rabbit hole of YouTube for some help, lol
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

Milabu is a great channel for short hair. I don't have short hair but I can still do her hairstyles but her channel will act as a safety blanket if I ever do take the plunge and cut my hair.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks for the suggestion, @BrittanyM

My hair is finally at a length where I can pull it all into a ponytail but short enough where it looks like a nub haha

I think I might play around with some half ups

• AnonymousFrustratedWavyHairOwnerAnonymousFrustratedWavyHairOwner Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have the exact same problem!

Even on my good hair days, all is well, until...
    (a) I go to sleep,
    (b) I wear a bun/ponytail, no matter how loose and how gently I put it there.
    Plus, if I sleep with a high ponytail (pineapple?), it gets ruined twice. :') It's still wavy, but frizzier and messy as if I used no product at all AND combed the dry hair. I can't do buns when my hair gets straight because it never does, but I do need to wear ponytails quite often.

I can see that more people experience this, but do you have ANY tips for either keeping hair looking good for longer than a day, or reviving the waves in the morning?

@hmr1016 How do you keep your hair overnight with the clips/combs?
    I have the exact same problem!

Even on my good hair days, all is well, until...
    (a) I go to sleep,
    (b) I wear a bun/ponytail, no matter how loose and how gently I put it there.
    Plus, if I sleep with a high ponytail (pineapple?), it gets ruined twice. :') It's still wavy, but frizzier and messy as if I used no product at all AND combed the dry hair. I can't do buns when my hair gets straight because it never does, but I do need to wear ponytails quite often.

I can see that more people experience this, but do you have ANY tips for either keeping hair looking good for longer than a day, or reviving the waves in the morning?

I love the Hair Buff!   It really helps hold my wave/curls for multiple days.  I also use it as part of my "wash day" routine.  I like to shower at night, so I put my hair in this while it's still hard from the gel.  In the morning I just shake out and then scrunch out the crunch.  

• EvolvingfroEvolvingfro Posts: 14Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I struggle with this as well! I am growing my hair out, so I'm also constantly adjusting my messy bun technique to my increasing length, which is annoying. One method that works more often than not starts by putting your hair in a ponytail. Next, I grab one section and make a kind of loop that I secure at the base of my ponytail, leaving about 2 inches of curl hanging loose at the end of the loop. I work my way around the base of my ponytail sectioning and pinning the curly ended loops till I'm left with a messy bun surrounded by loose curly ends. I generally end up with about 5 sections depending on my curls and preference that day. I hope that makes sense! Your hair seems like a good length for this approach--much longer and it won't work anymore because the loops get too big and hang weird. This is the easiest and most reliable updo I've found, and it's great for when my curls are flattening or frizzy.
    Oh, and another tip to this method is using jumbo bobby pins. They are smoother than regular bobby pins (which makes them easier to take out and reposition if needed) and they hold my hair better given their size. I buy mine on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BDW2NW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Oh, and another tip to this method is using jumbo bobby pins. They are smoother than regular bobby pins (which makes them easier to take out and reposition if needed) and they hold my hair better given their size. I buy mine on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BDW2NW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1
    That's awesome!  Thanks for sharing!  How fine is your hair?  I struggle with bobby pins and clips sliding out 

I'm pretty sure my hair is fine, but I'm struggling to accept this since I've always been told it's coarse and thick.  Now that I'm properly moisturizing it's way softer and I'm realizing the strands are pretty thin.  I've never really had a problem with the larger pins falling out, but I have had this issue with the smaller/regular sized ones.  Another trick I recall reading (though have never tried) is spraying your bobby pins with hair spray to keep them in place.  I imagine this would work as long as you didn't reposition them at all--since that would probably result in frizz and disrupting your curls or the smoothness of your style.

As for clips, if I'm pulling my "bangs" or small sections of hair back I love mini octopus clips since they're small and they sit close to my scalp.  I may have to reposition it as the day goes on, but for the most part they stay put well.  And if I'm pulling all my hair up in a twist I love the full sized clips that have rubber on the inside since they grip my hair really well.

https://www.amazon.com/Scunci-Slip-Octopus-Clips-Mini/dp/B00H95NITE/ref=sr_1_7_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1543264984&sr=8-7&keywords=octopus+clips
    https://www.target.com/p/conair-scunci-3cm-no-slip-jaw-clips---4pk/-/A-52596342
    edited November 2018
    @Evolvingfro - it's good to know I'm not alone!  I've also always thought I had thicker hair and it's weird adjusting to the idea of being more on the fine hair side.   My hair is even appearing less dense.  Now that I know I'm more fine haired (and low porosity), so many hair issues I've had in the past make much more sense. It's fascinating how much a difference good hair care makes! 

Interesting about the jumbo bobby pins vs regular.  I will defiantly check them out~   I've been using similar clips to pull back my bangs

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Some people determine whether their hair is coarse or fine by putting into a ponytail and then eyeballing the circumference. If the circumference is the size of a quarter or larger, it's coarse. If it's less than that, it's medium to fine. It's just a guesstimate, since obviously hair density plays into this too. I have extremely fine, silky hair that is average to high density (and have been told so by my hairdressers), and my ponytail is about the size of a nickel.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BerryniceBerrynice Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    It might be worth having a look on hairromance.com! She has curly hair and lots of tutorials 😊
    I love Hair Romance!  Her vlog on why she doesn't follow the Curly Girl Method is what encouraged me to start a modified CG routine.   I am a lot happier with my curls thanks to her :) 

edited January 9

For sure. I wish they would have let us know since I haven't visited the main site in weeks.
    agreed!  

• AmylizabethAmylizabeth Posts: 56Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I put my hair into a ponytail with multiple elastics (usually 3.. Kinda like this photo, only with wavy hair) then twist it around into a loose bun. Super easy, it looks like an updo and doesn't mess up my natural pattern when I take it out! 
    2C Fine, long hair, a ton of it. Blonde balayage. East Coast Canadian. 

Wash: Live Clean Fresh Water Hydrating Shampoo
    Monthly Scalp Cleanse: Baking Soda/Conditioner/Peppermint Essential Oil
    CO: Garnier Whole Blends Legendary Olive Conditioner
    Styling: Devacurl Volumizing Foam, Devacurl Wave Maker, Garnier Curl Treat Jelly
    Refresh Day: Klorane Dry Shampoo with Nettle, Devacurl Supercream
    Deep Condition: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt Treatment

My whole wash routine is upside-down... detangling, rinsing, applying products, scrunching, diffusing... the bigger the waves, the better!  
    @Amylizabeth, that's a great idea. I'll have to try that. Plus it might make my hair look neater in a bun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file