Could one of these products be making my protein overloaded hair worse?

Heatherlynn85Heatherlynn85 Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I used a protein treatment a few weeks ago and after my hair looked really bad. It was really dry, coarse, brittle and breaking. Not sure if I have protein sensitive hair or just overload. I cut out all proteins, but my hair seems like its getting worse some days. Could any of these products be to blame? The deep conditioner has silicone, but that's not the problem this is the first time I've used it. And I've washed my 3 times with suave daily clarifying, every other time I cowash with suave daily clarifying conditioner. And I also use sunflower oil to seal in moisture.

Best Answers

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233 Curl Dabbler
    Accepted Answer
    Aside from the silicones in your DC, I don't see any red flag ingredients.  The Sauve Clarifying Shampoo is probably preventing your hair from healing.  That is a really harsh shampoo.  Many people use it as their final wash to strip silicones off their hair.

You need to get moisture back into your hair.  Adding a DC is a good start on the road to recovery, but silicones are putting a coat around your hair strands that make it difficult to receive moisture.  They are just masking the problem, not fixing it.  Try deep conditioning with a mix your suave conditioner with some of your sunflower oil (heat it up in the microwave before you apply to hair).

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | mixed density| protein & coconut sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo: DevaCurl's Low Poo / JessiCurl's Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: DevalCurl's One Condition
    Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab
    Stylers: Curl Junkie's Spiral Lotion, JessiCurl's Sprialicious Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233 Curl Dabbler
    Accepted Answer
    My hair is sensitive to protein & coconut.  But so many products have it that I do  dabble with them even though they screw up my hair.  When that happens I usually do a lemon aid rinse (from the official CG  and then co-wash as normal after.  It usually takes 1-2 weeks for my hair to get back to normal.  I also increase how often I DC.

Lemon Aid Rinse

Combine juice of 1 large lemon* with your usual amount of conditioner, then rinse through hair thoroughly.'

NOTE: A lot of people find 1/2 a lemon is enough as for some this can be drying. Also, for best results, it should be thoroughly rinsed out with cool water and followed by regular conditioning.

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | mixed density| protein & coconut sensitive | Modified CGM

Answers

• Heatherlynn85Heatherlynn85 Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    That's a good idea. It does seem that every time I use the shampoo it looks worse. I heard advise that I needed to use a clarifying shampoo to wash out the protein, but clearly it's not helping. Ty, I will try that. This is really an exercise in patience, it's so hard not to grab my my straightener right now. Lol
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,464Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't see any clearly problematic ingredients either. However, I have found that sometimes herbal extracts can have effects like protein. I recently bought a gel that was protein free, but after using it a few times, my hair was straightish and dry and tangly, just like with protein. The gel had some herbal extracts in it. So it's possible that the herbal extracts in the Kinky-Curly products might be an issue. Herbal oils (like in the first product you posted) don't seem to be a problem--it's just the extracts.

Like @tinksaysboo, it takes my hair 1-2 weeks to recover. When I suspect protein overload, I do one clarifying shampoo, and that is it. Clarifying poos will not remove protein overload from your hair. I do deep conditioning treatments with Jessicurl's Deep Conditioning Treatment (this one hasn't caused me a problem yet!) weekly until my hair is better.

And to be completely honest, when my hair gets really bad with protein overload, I will straighten it. My hair doesn't damage easily, though. I figure the heat of the flat iron will help break down the protein so my hair will get back to normal.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    @Therese1 interesting about the herbal extract!  Thanks for sharing.  New hair experiment :)

• Heatherlynn85Heatherlynn85 Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I've seriously been considering straightening. I had just began my curly hair journey and this happened. It's a huge disappointment. I've been wanting to try the jessicurl's dc. Ty for the tips. 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Definitely try deep conditioning with a protein free one and see how it goes. I don’t have experience with protein overload so no advise there, but you will want to add moisture back in your hair.
    It's been close to two months now and my hair seems like it's getting worse. I have so much breakage. It worse than the one time I bleached my hair, especially in front. I've been using all protein free products and oils. I did try raw Shea butter last week and my hair felt like straw after. I want to shave my head right now. I never thought I would say that (I have no idea what the weird lines are on my camera lens)
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 233Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    @Heatherlynn85 Are you still using that deep conditioner? 

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hm. Perhaps try clarifying and following up with the deep conditioner. I'm sorry you are going through this. Build up always made my hair break.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,706Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Your deep conditioner is absolutely stuffed with silicones, so don't use that anymore.  Aside from that one, all your products are pretty good, but they're all lightly moisturizing, and none are really good at hydrating.  The Suave conditioner makes a good cowash because of that, and same with the LHDC - great for cowashing, not so good for conditioning.  The KCKT is great at detangling, but not so good for moisturizing.  I think you need one really good conditioner - something that's highly moisturizing without being heavy, and definitely no protein right now. 

Stay away from coconut oil, aloe, all edible grains like rice or quinoa, herbal extracts, anything that says "protein", and keratin.  Which is not to say you can't ever use them - but they can be problematic for some, so best to avoid them until your hair is in better condition.

You need a daily conditioner, and you can deep condition with the same product - just leave it in longer, and maybe add some heat by wrapping a warm towel around your head. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    edited November 27
    I second everything @Guide 65 said!

• cnic216cnic216 Posts: 118Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Also agree with what @Guide 65 said and I'd also add to stay away from products with shea butter. It's very heavy and some hair types just don't like it all which I think is what happened when you said you used raw shea butter and your hair felt like straw afterwards. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file