What did you do to your hair today? Week of Nov. 12

Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
Yesterday I clarified, then deep conditioned with Deva Deep Sea Repair, then rinsed it all out.  I wanted a little leave in, so I added in some Giovanni Smooth as Silk.  It started foaming up like shampoo!  I had the double check the bottle to make sure it was conditioner.  It was.  But so weird!  And it didn't rinse out as quickly as it normally did.  I've been using that instead of my favorite - Deva One - because it has protein.  But I might have to go back to One.  The Giovanni is ok, but it's just not as moisturizing as the Deva One, and foaming conditioner is weird.

So what's going on with your hair?
Formerly known as Janiegirl
2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
Current products:
Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
Innersense I Create Volume
Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• CrazyCurls13CrazyCurls13 Posts: 29Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited November 2018

• CrazyCurls13CrazyCurls13 Posts: 29Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited November 2018
    Hard to believe I have midback length hair. 😂 
    .   .   .  
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I had all day yesterday to stay at home and do nothing so I spent lots of time on my hair. I coated it with coconut oil and put it up in a bun for a few hours. Then I did my couple-times-a-year deep detangling with a brush.
    I washed with Wen Ginger Pumpkin, rinsed, did a vinegar rinse, conditioned with Overtone Extreme Silver, rinsed, did a honey rinse, added a curl cream (can't remember which one) and LA Looks Sport Gel.  I'm having a good hair day although it feels oddly dry (might be from the change in weather, humidity). 
    I'm battling spider web tangles again. Usually it's caused by wind but I haven't been out in the wind so it must be from having it in a pony that I keep scrunchy up to tighten (it acts like back combing, causing tangles).  I need to either wear it loose more often or put it in a braid instead of a pony for awhile. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • beantreesbeantrees Posts: 116Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @Guide 65 I found that the Giovanni Direct Leave-In foamed for me too!  I didn't like it.  I haven't tried the Smooth as Silk but it's good to know that it foams up too.

@CrazyCurls13 your hair looks amazing!!  What a great style.

Yesterday I had decent-looking third day hair!  First time ever.  I showered at night and shampooed with SM JBCO shampoo then deep conditioned with SM JBCO deep treatment masque, and used Carina Organics deep conditioner as a leave-in.  I didn't bother styling and went to bed with it wet because I planned to go for a run in the morning and knew I'd be washing my hair again anyways.  

This morning post-run I co-washed with Joico Lite Conditioner.  Someone in my building put a bunch of hair products in the "free stuff" area in our laundry room, and this one looked CG (I think!) so I nabbed it.   Then I conditioned using SM Manuka Honey conditioner, rinsed it out upside down, and used Carina Organics deep conditioner as leave-in again.  Plopped for 10 minutes and then scrunched in AG Recoil followed by Carina Organics gel.  It's a good hair day so far so I hope to make it last till tomorrow.
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

• tammysctammysc Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Today (Tuesday) was my first actual day of CG. I did my last wash today with a sulfate shampoo. 

Before washing my hair I exfoliated my scalp a bit with a homemade exfoliant made from brown sugar and olive oil. After that I washed my hair with Johnson and Johnson’s baby shampoo (the gold/yellow one). After using that I put some conditioner in which was Garnier Fructos Nourishing Banana hair Food Intensive Conditioner. I let it sit for the rest of my shower then rinsed it out. When done I squeezed my hair to get all the extra water out then still soaking wet I put some more Banana Hair Food in as a leave in conditioner. I used the praying hands method for this (as well as with my mousse and gel). Then I scrunched. Then I added my John Frieda Frizz Ease Dream Curls mousse and scrunched again. Then added Garnier Fructis Style Sculpting Extra Strong Gel and scrunched before putting my hair in a cotton t-****. I plopped for about an hour then air dried for about a further 2-2.5 hours maybe. Then I finally scrunched out the gel cast. There was still a bit too much hold with the gel so I slid my hands into my hair at the scalp and shoot my hands then slid back out. I did this all over my hair and it looked much better after. It still looks a little bit too held in by the gel (if that makes sense) but it's probably just because I'm not used to it. (have never used gel in my hair) I MIGHT post a picture of my hair after breaking the gel cast.

I'm so happy about what happen to my frizzy bits!! Instead of sticking up in the air they actually formed a curl/wave with the rest of my hair! It's more damaged than the other parts of my hair (which I guess is why it goes frizzy) so it kind of stuck out a little (as in it's a bit lighter in colour and you can see it's not as hydrated and defined) but it blended in nicely with the rest of my curls! All this time of hating the frizzy bits and thought it was just what I had... it was actually hiding a couple of curls!

The majority of my hair did get a little bit more wavy but is still straight-wavy. I know that it's going to take a while for it to find it's curl again so it's fine. I have shorter sections at the front of my hair so they are a bit curlier than the rest and I love how they turned out (compared to how my hair was before). Still would like my hair to be curlier but obviously it's only the first time and it will take a while! I'm happy with how my hair turned out for a first time doing this method and am so exited to see it progress even further. Don't want to wear it down yet (in public) but I can't wait until my hair is curly all over (with the same texture all over), nicely hydrated and no frizz or damage at all, then I will be happy to.

Tonight I will be switching my pillow case to a satin one and will be using a satin scrunchie to put my hair in a pineapple.

LOL that is meant to say "cotton t-shirt".

Also when I do my next wash, I will start using my Goat Moisturising Shampoo With Argan Oil and Goat Moisturising Conditioner With Argan Oil.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @CrazyCurls13, that style is so cute!  I love the controlled/chaos look!  Have you ever tried getting your curls defined? 

@jeepcurlygurl, I saw you on the front page yesterday!  Nice interview!

@tammysc, so glad you got a good result on your first day!  Double check the ingredients of the John Frieda and GF stuff.  Both of those brands tend to be heavy with silicones.  But if they're working for you, no need to change.  Just keep it in mind in case your hair starts acting up.

Current products:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited November 2018
    @Guide 65  Off to look! I rarely see the front page of NC! 
    ETA Well that took some searching but I finally found it. Thanks for letting me know it published. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I Pre pooed with Jamaican Black castor Oil on my roots (new buy) and Burts Bees avocado Pre shampoo treatment (trying to use this stuff up but it's never ending).
    Washed with Shea Moisture Peace Rose Shampoo (the smell of this stuff is strong and lovely if you like rose scents). Deep conditioned with SM 10 in 1, not a favorite but don't hate it either.
    I'm starting to style with 2 products now. Either a leave in and cream or a leave in and gel. This week I used my SM JBCO leave in and Ecoco Argan Oil gel. Really nice and soft, defined. A good hair week is in store assuming the rain doesn't ruin it. 
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited November 2018
    My bangs have finally outgrown the clip that pulled them back with.   I have been pulling them back while I decide what to do with them since I have ditched my straightener.    Been ditching my clip all week an have been happy rocking my bangless hairstyle!   I have a hair appt Friday so going to discuss new "front hair styling".
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Did a quick co wash and condition today. I'm trying to use up the Ouidad co wash I bought. I don't like it very much but I feel bad not using it because I spent so much money on it and I still have so much left! Conditioned with Purador curl quench conditioner which I do like - it has great slip, but it smells a lot like lemon scented furniture polish to me, so I'm not too crazy about that. 

I've been trying to experiment more with styling with creams and the LOC method since I'm usually a leave in/gel type of girl. I used KCKT, followed that up with a bit of coconut oil, and then used Eden Bodyworks coconut shea curl defining creme.

One thing I have been noticing the last month or so is that no matter how I styled, I've been struggling with frizz/lack of definition even after a fresh wash and go with gel. It didn't make sense to me since I was following all of the "rules" (styling on soaking wet hair, using a microfiber towel or cotton t-shirt to dry and scrunch, gentle shampoos, deep conditioning, etc.). I think I figured it out - scrunching with a microfiber towel or t-shirt after I've styled! I know it doesn't make sense since that's what literally everyone does, but I think that's what my problem has been. So today, after I styled, I did scrunch but I just used my hands that already had product on them and just put my head over my sink to catch the excess water and product that came out. So far, it seems to have worked as I can already tell that I have less frizz (it was immediate frizz the last few weeks when I would scrunch with the microfiber towel or t-shirt). Fingers crossed it drys the same way! 
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    cnic216 said:
     I think I figured it out - scrunching with a microfiber towel or t-shirt after I've styled! I know it doesn't make sense since that's what literally everyone does, but I think that's what my problem has been. So today, after I styled, I did scrunch but I just used my hands that already had product on them and just put my head over my sink to catch the excess water and product that came out. So far, it seems to have worked as I can already tell that I have less frizz (it was immediate frizz the last few weeks when I would scrunch with the microfiber towel or t-shirt). Fingers crossed it drys the same way! 
    I stopped scrunching with a t-shirt after product also and noticed a significant reduction in frizz as well (even when dried).  Hope it works out for you, too! 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Agree. Hands only no scrunching with toel for me too. Frizz central if i do. I hate how long it takes to air dry but its better than a ton of frizz.
    So my experiments this week have been mostly for fun (and because I love the look of the hair below). I've been trying to elongate my curls and make them more 3A than 3B. Combing out and braiding while wet/damp, twirling, twisting, pinning, pineappling, you name it. Nope, my hair just doesn't want to look like that. Haha. I don't want to use any hot tools because I don't want the damage or yellowing they cause. So the experimenting continues. 
    Maybe when it's all salt instead of the salt and pepper it is now it will be more relaxed. 

@tinksaysboo, OMG I didn't recognize your new picture!  Is that the new cut?  I love it!

@jeepcurlygurl, I love that picture, and her hair!  Even though we can admire the hair that other's have, don't get caught up in feeling dissatisfaction with the hair you have.  One of the joys of curly hair is that every curly is different, and they're all beautiful in their own way!
    Current products:
    I lost my husband on Thursday.  I'm heartbroken and overwhelmed and scared and feeling so alone.  I won't be around very much in the next couple weeks.  I would so appreciate it if some of you could help with answering questions and keeping things going while I lag behind.

@Therese1, @BrittanyM, @tinksaysboo - you're all so good at coming up with solutions for problems.  If you could keep helping out with those I would appreciate it.

@jeepcurlygurl, could you keep up with the "what did you do to your hair today" threads. 

And anyone who can help out with the "what's my hair type" questions - please do.

Pretty much my whole goal here is to make sure everyone gets an answer, or at least a reply.  No one will ever come back if they get no replies, so the more answers, the more people will return.  Sometimes I feel like I'm coming across as a "know it all", but mostly I just don't want anyone feeling ignored.  For any technical issues, just let @Gretchen know.
    Current products:
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Omg, @Guide 65, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you what you need to help you through this unimaginably difficult time. 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @Guide 65 I'm so sorry for your loss! You're in my thoughts and prayers. 
    @Guide65 I am so sorry for the loss of your husband!  I will continue the weekly  "What Did You Do to Your Hair This Week" threads.
    And yes, as much as I love other types of curls I do love my own.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @Guide 65, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I cannot imagine how you are feeling right now. I will do my best to bump up my participation on the forum.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    @guide 65 thank you! I checked again and they are silicone free :)

And I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! I wish you so much strength and well wishes! x

Oh, Guide, I am so sorry! I can't imagine. You are in my prayers. Please take all the time you need and rely on your friends and family during this time.
    As for the forum, we will cover everything. You just take care of yourself.
    @Guide 65  I am so sorry about your husband.  My thoughts are with you.  We will miss you while you take this much needed time to heal.  xxx

P.S. Thanks, the new picture is my curls with Curl Junkie's Spiral Lotion.  Very different type of curls than when I use JessieCurl's Rockin Ringlets!  Though I got it cut after this picture and my hair is a little bit bouncier now. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file