Unsure Newbie, trying to start loving natural pattern

EmilyAileenEmilyAileen Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi!

So I'm 27 and have always been a tomboy, never cared for fashion or learning how to do hair or makeup, just now attempting to start my "glow-up" and it's not easy.

I've always just done ponytails and buns because they take 1 minute and I liked straightening my hair because it just seemed prettier and better managed when my weird pattern was subdued, but I hate split ends, and my hair is thin, so I'm trying to stay away from heat products, although I did just buy my first diffuser which seems like a necessity for so many.

I did a clarifying wash, a deep condition and put in some deva curl wave whip and gel in my hair after the deep condition using a rake/squish/spray hands combo while my hair was still soaking wet, plopped for awhile with a tshirt and then diffused and crunched and my hair turned out like this. "Profile Picture"

Is there a better way? A product I should be using? Is this too frizzy? It feels crazy, but wavy/curly is a little crazy. I'm not sure if I just have to learn to like it or if I'm missing a piece to get the volume and definition that I think I want, or maybe it's a totally different wave/curl pattern I wish I had.

Idk, learning as I go.

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  Your hair color is beautiful!  I would say keep going with your same routine for a month or so and see how it does.  Your hair will need some time to get used to this, and you need time to get accustomed to seeing yourself with wavy hair.  I don't think this is bad for a first day, I see some nice waves in there!

One thing you can add to your routine now is to do some root clipping.  Look it up on youtube - there are hundreds of variations, so if one way doesn't work, try a different way.  This will add height and volume up top.  Or - I don't know if you diffused upside down, but that will give you a lot of lift and volume too.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It looks great to me too. I find that wearing my hair natural makes me seem effortless and wild. If you can connect your hair with an aspect of your personality, such as being low maintenance and wearing your hair in its natural pattern, this will help with accepting it and the less than perfect hair days. But your first day hair looks great. Give your routine a shot, hang around here, and let us know if you have any questions or encounter any issues. Everyone here will try to troubleshoot for you.
  • tolilneantolilnean Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited November 2018
    It looks great to me too. I find that wearing my hair natural makes me seem effortless and wild. If you can connect your hair with an aspect of your personality, such as being low maintenance and wearing your hair in its natural pattern, this will help with accepting it and the less than perfect hair days. But your first day hair looks great. Give your routine a shot, hang around here, and let us know if you have any questions or encounter any issues. Everyone here will try to troubleshoot for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file