Newbie- i have no idea what my hair type is! Help!

SarahBeth246SarahBeth246 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
edited November 2018 in Information for Newbies
I'm having trouble finding out my hair type. I took the porosity test with the cup of water and my hair floated so I figured I have low porosity. But I have heard this test is unreliable and my hair has the characteristics of high porosity hair. It is dry and frizzy and loses moisture quickly after i put in products. It never feels like product is "sitting" on my hair. After i wash it, my ends are dry within minutes. I have naturally dry, thick, wavy/kind of curly hair. It's not too coarse, but kind of soft to the touch and poofs out. I don't know if I am just using the wrong products. If anyone could offer any advice or suggestions it would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  Yes, the float test is very unreliable.  A better way to tell is to look at how it acts.  Dry, loses moisture quickly, products soak in - all sound very much like high porosity. 

What products are you using now?  And let us know if you're in the US or elsewhere - it doesn't help to suggest products that you can't get!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • SarahBeth246SarahBeth246 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Welcome!  Yes, the float test is very unreliable.  A better way to tell is to look at how it acts.  Dry, loses moisture quickly, products soak in - all sound very much like high porosity. 

What products are you using now?  And let us know if you're in the US or elsewhere - it doesn't help to suggest products that you can't get!
    Thank you! I am currently in the US. And the products I use are the Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine shampoo, John Frieda Frizz Ease conditioner, and the John Frieda Air Dry Waves styling foam. 
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    So I take it you're not following the Curly Girl method?  That would be my first suggestion.  You can get the book by Lorraine Massey (which I recommend), or just read about it online.  Here's a quickie article about it
    But the book will go into much better detail.  This will get your hair properly moisturized and hydrated, and once that happens, your hair can curl to its full potential. 

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Kalascrafts16Kalascrafts16 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
    I'm going natural and i washed my hair with non sulfate products and now my hair is greasy and i need help. 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi, @Kalascrafts16. How often were you using sulfates on your hair? Every day? Once a week? How often are you washing your hair with a sulfate free shampoo?
    Hair can get more oily because of the use of sulfates. There is a rumored transition period of oily hair, but I believe all of us here can help you mitigate any transition period pains.
  • Kalascrafts16Kalascrafts16 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
    My whole life I have been washing my hair with sulfate shampoo and conditioner. Starting this year, I have started washing my hair once a week and I shampoo and condition with Shea moisture Coconut and hibiscus and I comb my hair when its wet, I scrunch my hair and dry it with a t- shirt. I have been doing this for the past months and it has never been greasy, its either been a little frizzy or poofy, but not greasy the only thing new i have done are my styling products which are also from the same shea moisture line and i have jojoba oil to help with hair growth. 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    The jojoba oil is possibly contributing. Jojoba oil is most like our natural sebum. The shea moisture may not be properly removing it either. I would first try skipping the jojoba oil in styling and see what happens. If the oiliness goes away, perhaps add one or two drops in until you find a good amount.
    If the problem persists without the jojoba oil, you may have build up. In this case, I would suggest a sulfate clarifying shampoo and just condition well afterwards. One of these two options should help.Let us know how it goes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file