Hello! Just signed up! :)
I just signed up so I thought I'd introduce myself
I am Tamara. I'm 20 and from Australia.
My hair history
- In primary school always had wavy/curly hair that I neglected and didn't know how to look after. Only used shampoo and conditioner, no other styling or moisturizing products, and obviously the shampoo and conditioner had damaging ingredients. Always had such a hard time brushing my hair and pulling trying to get the knots out... so painful.
- My hair has always been frizzy too (and still is now), especially these bits that I get at the front which are short and stick up. It looks like someone rubbed a balloon all over it for ages, or like I got electrocuted.
- In high school started dying and straightening my hair. Straightened it almost everyday for two years and pretty much never used heat protectent... only a coconut/moroccan/argan oil before straightening. Even when I straightened my hair it was still really frizzy but I thought it at least was better then my messy uneven curls/waves. Also when I dyed my hair it always turned orange after a short while (I am almost three quaters Irish so I carry that red/orange undertone). It wasn't a nice orange either, but a gross one. One time it even turned yellow. Let's not talk about that. I haven't dyed my hair in a while and don't plan to. My natural hair colour is kind of like a medium grayish brown with very light brown/blonde frizzy bits and a red/orange undertone. weird
- Always hated my hair and tried to hide it, was always so upset when nothing worked when trying to make it nice and sleek and evenly coloured like everyone else's at school. Even gave myself a haircut a couple times even when I had no idea what I was doing because I was so sick of it. Was so embarrassing going to the hairdressers after that.
- By the way, hairdressers never knew what to do about my frizzy bits. One told me to use the argan oil on it, which I did but it just made it look really greasy. Another told me that it looks like I sat there and burnt it off with a hair straightener deliberately...
My hair goals
- I'm so excited to actually finally be looking after my hair. I'm starting the curly girl method. I seriously can't wait to see the transformation. I wonder what texture my hair is truly hiding. After all the damage and straightening my hair has lost most of it's wave/curl (even after the initial loss from brushing it and not using the right products). I even remember having ringlets in some places way back so will be interesting to see if they come back. I hope so. Now I'm just really trying to get my hair healthy and get the curl/wave definition back. I would say now it's probably like 2b maybe. I reckon my true texture is probably like 2c or 3a maybe. I am most excited to get rid of those pesky frizzy bits!! For real
Is there any one else from Australia here (or any other hot and humid areas)? I live in Queensland and it gets really hot and humid, and occasionally dry in the winter. What will I need to know about when it's hot and humid? Is there anything I need to do specifically? Also does anyone have any tips for those really frizzy bits?
Thanks everyone for reading and I look forward to my hair transformation and talking to all of you guys!