Self Concious About Wearing Afros

CrazyCurls13CrazyCurls13 Posts: 29Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
edited November 12 in Hall of Shame
I'm white and have 4a hair that will shrink into afro. I like afros but I feel kind of self concious to wear my hair in an afro. My comunity isn't very diverse and there aren't any people here with hair like this. How can I become more comfortable and confidant wearing my hair in an afro?

Best Answers

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,663 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I'm jealous of your 4a hair. I love afros on men and women, young and old, black or white. I've always loved that style/texture. It seems to be very much in style where I live (not a very diverse town at all). Some are huge but most are shorter, many with the top longer than the sides (I'm sure there's a name for that cut but I don't know what it is). 
    I don't have any tips to help you other than maybe you can start by wearing your hair in an afro while also wearing an outfit, jewelry, shoes, etc that make you feel very comfortable and confident. 

--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,756 Administrator
    Accepted Answer
    Wow, that Jeopardy's guy's hair is awesome.  

@CrazyCurls13, you just have to own it!  I like @jeepcurlygurl's idea of a new outfit that you love to help give you confidence.  How do you wear your hair most days? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,638Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Afros are a pretty retro hairstyle.  If you want to wear an afro, you're just going to have to be confident enough to not care what anyone else thinks.  I think you'll get a lot of comments, some of them not good.  And a lot of people wanting to touch your hair.  So you're going to have to just shrug off the bad comments and not care.

I saw a young guy on Jeopardy a couple weeks ago with a huge afro.  I think he was white too.  He must have had a lot of self-confidence to wear his hair like that.  You can see him here https://thejeopardyfan.com/2018/10/this-weeks-contestants-october-15-19-2018.html

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • CrazyCurls13CrazyCurls13 Posts: 29Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited November 8
    That guy is cute.
  • CrazyCurls13CrazyCurls13 Posts: 29Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited November 12
    Thank you jeepcurlygirl! I like your idea. I usually wear my hair in braided hairstyles or straightened. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file