Tryin' to ball on a budget here

krishykrishy Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited November 2018 in Hair Type 3
It's been about three weeks since I started my curly hair journey. I've been using the correct cg shampoos and conditioners for about a year now, but it hasn't been much help, as I double bleached it over the summer and had been straightening it every other day in a last- ditch effort to maintain its lost splendor. I believe it's supposed to be 3b at its best- but who really knows? Its 2a-3b at the moment. Straightened, its almost at my waist. Im trying to keep it long (I'm aware that the big chop needs to be done at some point) 

I'm a college student on a budget- other than shampoo, conditioner, and coconut oil, whats the one (cheap) product that I NEED to help my hair heal? I'm doing all I can with what I have: t shirt drying, sulfate free shampoo/conditioner, deep conditioning with oil once a week, only washing 2-3 times a week. I can't afford a diffuser/blowdryer! I also don't have ANY styling products or leave in stuff. Please help... I'm going through the weirdest transition phase.. The thing is that i'm receiving more compliments now, with my crazy hair texture, than I ever did with my hair straight!

Edit: my profile picture is old, and i had curled my hair for the picture. Will try to add a newer picture when I get a good one.

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  The problem with your request is that everyone's hair reacts so differently to products - what might be my ONE holy grail product, is probably someone else's "wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole" product. 

But with that said - I would suggest getting a gel to help hold your curls through the day and help control frizz.  You can get some good-but-cheap gels - LA Looks Extreme Sports gel, Aussie Instant Freeze or Herbal Essence Set Me Up gel.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Agree with gel. Another cheap gel is eco styles argan oil one. I would suggest investing in a deep conditioner or using an oil and rinse out conditioner mix. The reason is that oils don't moisturize, just seal in moisture. For deep conditioners, I recommend True by Made Beautiful and shea moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Masque.
    Good leave ins if you use them are Kinky Curly Knot Today and As I Am. A styler I like is Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie but beware not everyone likes this, and I personally find it to have no slip at all but does enhance curls.
    There are plenty of drugstore brands and just hang around and read the forums to find other suggestions. Some brands that come to mind are the Mane Choice, Mielle Organics, Shea Moisture, Curls, As I Am, and others that I can think of right now. Best of luck! 
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Totally agree with eco styler gels - the argan oil one is my favorite but the olive oil one is also a favorite among curlies. Another cheap gel is Ampro. Love the Kinky Kurly Knot Today and As I am leave ins too.

If you want to try a styling cream, I just recently tried Eden Bodyworks coconut curl defining cream and it's really great and really affordable ($9 for 16 oz. and a little goes a long way!). For deep conditioners, I would stick with the Shea Moisture line as I feel that they have the most effective ones for their price. 
  • rabarrabar Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Hi!  I'm on a tight budget too, but I have found through the years that the best way to get healthy hair had less to do with the products I used and more about how I treated my hair (other than washing and styling it).  I had to stop brushing my hair, especially when dry.  I had to stop putting it up with elastic ponytail holders and wearing it up all the time, and I now sleep in a satin bonnet.  I have to say, not brushing my hair and the satin bonnet were the best things for my hair!  I did the CG method for years (without shampooing--co-washes only) and my hair became very healthy, but my hair just wasn't as curly as it used to be, so I decided to try something different.  Satin bonnets don't have to be expensive (I bought mine for about $2 at Dollar General).
    Your washing and styling techniques can make a difference in how your hair looks and feels.  My product application techniques are different now; it took a lot of trial and error to find what worked best for my hair, but the great thing about that on a budget is that trying different techniques doesn't cost a thing!  You may have to do some research because there are a lot of different techniques (luckily Curl Talk and naturallycurly.com are great resources!).  Not having a blow dryer is probably a good thing, if your goal is healthy hair!
    There are many Suave and VO5 conditioners that are CG-friendly (check the ingredients!) and are very inexpensive ($1-$2 per bottle), and (for me, at least) they can easily double as a leave-in.  The more expensive Suave conditioners all have silicones; I'm talking about the super-cheap conditioners (usually on the bottom shelf at the store), like the Tropical Coconut.  This is the one I use most right now, as both a rinse-out and a leave-in.
    I agree about trying gels in your routine--just make sure they don't contain silicones (if you're doing CG method) or alcohols.  When I don't use a lot of gel, my hair just isn't as curly and it's way more frizzy.
    I hope this helps.  It is hard to find what will work for your hair when you're on a budget, but it is possible--don't give up!
    rabar
    2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
    formerly CG method

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file