What did you do to your hair today? Week of Nov. 5

Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
Yesterday I clarified and deep conditioned using Deva Deep Sea Repair.  Lately my hair has gone so limp and won't hold a curl, it feels soft like it's overmoisturized.  It was definitely the change in weather that caused it.  I feel like I just can't get enough protein in my hair.  It turned out good yesterday, but today it's feeling soft again, although I still have some curls left.  I think next wash day I'll switch from UDG to Bada Bing gel - it has more protein and a harder hold. 
Formerly known as Janiegirl
2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
Current products:
Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
Innersense I Create Volume
Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Tonight I am doing my regular routine of co-wash, gel, plop, diffuse. And adding a bright blue stripe for election day tomorrow! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    How fun to add colours for special occasions!  I'd love to see a picture of it. 
    Current products:
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Washed and styled using just a cream for the first time ever (I live and die by gels). I'm getting my first ever curly cut tomorrow afternoon and I'm excited and nervous at the same time, but so ready for a change! 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Let us see the cut later @cnic216!
    I Pre pooed with Burts Bees avocado Pre shampoo treatment. It does make my hair soft but I won't repurchase it and am trying to use it up.
    Then I clarified with my Neutrogena Anti Residue shampoo and followed up with SM Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Masque.
    Styled with SM JBCO leave in and Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Soft waves and curls. I'll probably cowash mid week and style the same to keep my hair moisturized.
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am not having much luck with this season change, my waves are falling most of the time and I haven't figured out what to change, grrr argh. 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I thought I was able to stretch out my clarifying washes but after my clarifying wash two weeks ago, I am wondering if I need them more often.  I am counting my co-washes and once I get two co-washes of unhappy hair I am going to low poo and see what happens. I'm on co-wash four.  If co-wash five is still kind of icky it looks like I need to low poo on my fourth wash.   :s 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • Hard281Hard281 Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Yesterday I clarified and deep conditioned using Deva Deep Sea Repair.  Lately my hair has gone so limp and won't hold a curl, it feels soft like it's overmoisturized.  It was definitely the change in weather that caused it.  I feel like I just can't get enough protein in my hair.  It turned out good yesterday, but today it's feeling soft again, although I still have some curls left.  I think next wash day I'll switch from UDG to Bada Bing gel - it has more protein and a harder hold. 
    I think it looks attracting
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Guide 65 said:
    How fun to add colours for special occasions!  I'd love to see a picture of it. 
    I can't find a pic of my blue or purple but here is pink and red.

--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Gah, bad hair day today. Tried to refresh, but that just went bad and frizzy. So I ended up brushing it straight (the only advantage to a weak wave/curl pattern, IMO) and pulling it back into a pair of ponytails. A half up one, and then I pulled it all back because straight, my hair is almost longer than my shoulders, lol. 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

Curly cut! 

Before: 

After: 

@cnic216 ; You have such wonderful spirals! 
    Thank you, @jeepcurlygurl
    Awesome cut! Nice shape and bangs!
  • tammysctammysc Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hello everyone!  I just signed up here and am just going into doing the curly girl method after years of not looking after my hair  :s

I think I have 2b/c hair but after using harsh shampoos and conditioners for my whole life, brushing my hair and trying so hard to get the knots out, drying it with towels, straightening it almost everyday for two years even with no heat protectent and just not looking after it and neglecting it... I don't even know my true hair texture.

What bothers me the most about my hair are the short, really frizzy bits at the front. I've always hated them. A hairdresser once said that it looked like my hair at the front had been burnt off with a straightener (gee, thanks lol). I've always had that (wayyyy before I started straightening my hair, probably my whole life) with I didn't know why... but when she said that I felt so bad about it because it was always what I hated about my hair anyway and was insecure about. (although when I did straighten my hair it probably [obviously] made it worse)

Anyway I am looking forward to actually looking after my hair for once and trying to get it to it's best condition. I really hope that my hair will become healthy again and I will have nice defined waves/curls with no frizz!!

Yesterday I bought my new hair products so I'm all set.

I do have one question though...
    I read that you have to do one last wash with a sulfate shampoo to get out the silicones, but my sulfate shampoo has dimethicone in it. Will I have to use another shampoo?

Thanks for reading, and by the way you all have lovely hair! :)

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @tammysc, yes you should get a different shampoo.  If you use one with silicones, it'll just deposit them on your hair, which is what you're trying to get rid of.  You'll still use a regular shampoo once in a while (most likely) so it won't be a wasted purchase. 
    Current products:
    @tammysc I think the Suave Naturals clarifying shampoo doesn't have silicones and it's really cheap. You should be able to find it at your local drugstore or Target if you have one near you. 
    V05 shampoos do not have silicones and they are less than a dollar in the US. And welcome. We're glad to have you.

Guide 65 said:
    @tammysc, yes you should get a different shampoo.  If you use one with silicones, it'll just deposit them on your hair, which is what you're trying to get rid of.  You'll still use a regular shampoo once in a while (most likely) so it won't be a wasted purchase. 

cnic216 said:
    @tammysc I think the Suave Naturals clarifying shampoo doesn't have silicones and it's really cheap. You should be able to find it at your local drugstore or Target if you have one near you. 

BrittanyM said:
    V05 shampoos do not have silicones and they are less than a dollar in the US. And welcome. We're glad to have you.
    Thank you everyone! :)

In that case I will be getting a new shampoo today ready to use for my final wash!

Guide 65 said:

cnic216 said:

BrittanyM said:
    Thank you everyone! :)

In that case I will be getting a new shampoo today ready to use for my final wash!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file