Idk if my hair is curly or coily

Ihateclowns7Ihateclowns7 Posts: 18Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hello im kinda new to this type stuff but im wondering if i could get help from somebody. So my hair without anything in it it looks afro textured ,dry and wet. But ive put some curling cream or something close to that in my hair like two times both after i took a shower and as i rubbed them in i saw little curls forming on parts of my head and as my hair dried i felt ringlet things in my head but only in certain spots, but they stay like that the whole day goiand going into the next day they were still there. So i wanna know what that means because the only time i might feel any ringlet things is if i havent picked my hair for some time but i still take a shower and conditionmy hair. And lastly my hair hair takes like 40 minutes to dry on the top parts and some hours for the bottom of my hair to fully dry so what does that mean. Btw my hairs about only 3 inches. And is picking out your hair bad.

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    If your hair only curls when you use a curling cream, I'd say that your hair is dehydrated.  If you get it more moisturized, you'll most likely see more curls all over.  Hair that takes only 40 minutes to dry would be porous and dry, while hair that takes longer to dry will be healthier.  And I don't think picking your hair is bad, as long as you're not trying to detangle it with the pick.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Ihateclowns7Ihateclowns7 Posts: 18 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    Guide 65 said:(
    If your hair only curls when you use a curling cream, I'd say that your hair is dehydrated.  If you get it more moisturized, you'll most likely see more curls all over.  Hair that takes only 40 minutes to dry would be porous and dry, while hair that takes longer to dry will be healthier.  And I don't think picking your hair is bad, as long as you're not trying to detangle it with the pick.
    You said my hair might be dehydrated so how would i hydrate it, and what do you mean when you said its ok to use a pick as long as im not trying to detangle with it
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    You hydrate your hair by using conditioner, deep conditioning treatments, moisturizing styling products, not allowing it to dry out too much between washings.  Plus avoiding things that are damaging like heat treatments, chemical treatments and harsh shampoos.

A lot of us here use the Curly Girl method (works for Curly Guys too!).  You can get the book written by Lorraine Massey, or just look around online.  It's complicated though, so I recommend starting with the book since it lays it out nicely and makes it easy to understand.
    Current products:

Answers

• Ihateclowns7Ihateclowns7 Posts: 18Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    You hydrate your hair by using conditioner, deep conditioning treatments, moisturizing styling products, not allowing it to dry out too much between washings.  Plus avoiding things that are damaging like heat treatments, chemical treatments and harsh shampoos.

A lot of us here use the Curly Girl method (works for Curly Guys too!).  You can get the book written by Lorraine Massey, or just look around online.  It's complicated though, so I recommend starting with the book since it lays it out nicely and makes it easy to understand.
    Lastly should i try to stop using my pick and if yes then what should i do.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    As far as I know, using a pick to fluff out your hair is fine.   If you need to detangle, then use a wide tooth comb in the shower when your hair is coated with conditioner.  Some people like to use a Denman brush instead of the comb, but it's still done with hair wet and covered in conditioner. 
    Current products:
  • Ihateclowns7Ihateclowns7 Posts: 18Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    As far as I know, using a pick to fluff out your hair is fine.   If you need to detangle, then use a wide tooth comb in the shower when your hair is coated with conditioner.  Some people like to use a Denman brush instead of the comb, but it's still done with hair wet and covered in conditioner. 
    So what do i do when im going somewhere. And am i not supposed to comb after i rinse out the conditioner. Also is there a difference between detangling and picking. And why is it that i can feel curls in my head but i cant see them.
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What you have described is just the way afro hair is. Without product my hair is completely undefined and shrinks to my shoulders. With product it is a kinky-wave that falls down my back. It is what it is. 

I really wouldn't recommend picking if you desire a defined look. Picking frizzes the hair out and is usually done on dry hair. Combing afro hair dry can cause breakage and just plain takes longer than thoroughly detangling your hair with conditioner, water, and a detangling tool.

Now, if you are picking just the roots and not pulling it through for volume, that's the exception. I recommend looking at some regimen videos from people with hair like yours for inspiration for your own routine.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
    What you have described is just the way afro hair is. Without product my hair is completely undefined and shrinks to my shoulders. With product it is a kinky-wave that falls down my back. It is what it is. 

I really wouldn't recommend picking if you desire a defined look. Picking frizzes the hair out and is usually done on dry hair. Combing afro hair dry can cause breakage and just plain takes longer than thoroughly detangling your hair with conditioner, water, and a detangling tool.

Now, if you are picking just the roots and not pulling it through for volume, that's the exception. I recommend looking at some regimen videos from people with hair like yours for inspiration for your own routine.
    So what would my hair be classified as
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That is hard to answer without photos. Try the Hair Type Quiz: https://www.naturallycurly.com/quiz

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
    That is hard to answer without photos. Try the Hair Type Quiz: https://www.naturallycurly.com/quiz

I did it two times first time i tried curly-coily got 3c then i put coily and got 4a or 4b.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file