Hair Rules or LUS...anybody tried them?

ExMathMajorExMathMajor Posts: 23Registered Users Curl Neophyte
DISCLAIMER: I am a mostly-4b (see my sig) who is currently doing what I call WSLDTGs (wash, stretch, let dry, THEN go) most of the time.

Long story short: I have come to the realization that what's currently missing in my hair life is an all-in-1 styler. :) After watching several Anthony Dickey videos and seeing that his philosophy of hair care and mine are largely the same, I threw some money his way and bought several sample sizes of the Hair Rules cleansing cream, conditioner, and kinky styling cream.

I've been walking around my apartment with sopping-wet hair for the last couple of hours and am about to get under my bonnet dryer. While I'm seeing definition in places I haven't seen it before, I'm wondering how much of that is due to the products and how much is due to my rinsing out the conditioner and applying the styler in succession. Typically there are a couple of steps in between those two (blotting hair damp, applying leave-in) plus I'll spritz my hair with water while applying the stylers (usually cream plus a bit of gel).

Meanwhile, LUS is blowing up my Facebook feed right now :) ...I went through their site and the majority of their Kinky-Coily users who are doing WNGs have hair that's looser-textured than mine. Their entire 3-step product set is $45, whereas one jar of Hair Rules kinky curling cream is $34.

Anybody have experience with either or both of these brands? I appreciate all input but am especially looking for 4bs or folks with 4b experience...
4b/4c/4a + 20 years + nearly every natural hairstyle including locs = IT REALLY IS JUST HAIR. And I love mine! :angel9:

Comments

• ExMathMajorExMathMajor Posts: 23Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So...I'll just leave my impressions of both for future reference and in case anybody else is searching for information on these products. LUS came out with travel sizes over the holidays so I went on and sprung for the Kinky-Coily set.

In both cases I liked the shampoo and conditioner in that they left my hair feeling clean (but not stripped) and soft. The LUS shampoo and conditioner had a smoothing effect that made me a little nervous but other than that there was no huge difference between the two.

As for the leave-in: Both were applied to dripping wet hair and both provided definition that was absolutely SICK...on dripping wet hair. In both cases I air-dried for several hours before finishing under the bonnet dryer (low speed, low heat). Not only was the definition about what I expected from any non-gel styler -- minimal -- but in the case of Hair Rules my hair was VERY dull and dry. It was almost as if I'd done nothing to my hair at all. At least with the LUS styler there was a little bit of softness...but not enough to justify the price.

I still have enough left of each product to do another couple of WSLTDGs but in both cases I'm going to have to add at least one extra styling product to get the results I'm used to. And that's assuming these stylers play well with other products...Needless to say I will not be purchasing from either product line again.
    4b/4c/4a + 20 years + nearly every natural hairstyle including locs = IT REALLY IS JUST HAIR. And I love mine! :angel9:
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Good to hear your results!  I've tried the LUS styler for wavies and wasn't impressed.  Like you, I got no definition.  In fact, my hair looked like it does when I apply no products at all.  I've never heard of Hair Rules, but it doesn't sound like something that would work for me.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • zzlita_mzzlita_m Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have 4a hair  and  I have used  the LUS products on an off for about a year..  I bought the shampoo, the conditioner and 2 stylers ( the LUS curly and the LUS Kinky-coily.  May hair is transitioning.. the roots are very healthy and very curly...  The ends are... meh.. but they curls..     I can honestly say that this is the BEST product for my hair..  Its not  AMAZING and I DON"T GET the results they advertise nor the results that the influencers claim they get on facebook or instagram but its decent. 
     I have tried the DEVA curl  decadence line it does not work for my hair.. .the results were terrible, dry, frizzy and sticky... I had to re-wash.

I have also tried the Shea Moisture coconut and hibiscus line and that was good but LUS was better..

I apply the LUS styler on Dripping wet hair, in small sections and after applying I re-wet my hair with a spray bottle and then air dry for HOURS.. then diffuse.. That whole ordeal on the wash day to only last 2 extra days... I'm getting fed up with this curly hair.. so much work and money.....

I really want to understand the term  WASH-AND-GO... nothing about the curly hair is wash and go..its WASH- APPLY PRODUCT for 20 mins- AIR DRY for 5 hours or DIFFUSE for one hour -- and then have a life.. until the next wash 2 days later... 

sigh.... 
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't like any of the Hair Rules products.  I tried several but thought they were inferior.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    zzlita_m said:
    I really want to understand the term  WASH-AND-GO... nothing about the curly hair is wash and go..its WASH- APPLY PRODUCT for 20 mins- AIR DRY for 5 hours or DIFFUSE for one hour -- and then have a life.. until the next wash 2 days later... 

sigh.... 
    IMO a wash-and-go should literally be a wash and GO...as in wash, apply products, and let air dry. Technically anybody can do that regardless of hair type...if you don't mind the results you get. When my hair was shorter I purposely kept my sides and back much shorter than my top. I was wearing the tapered look before it was cool, LOL...and I was able to do true WNGs without looking crazy. At my current length (between 6-7 inches all around) if I don't stretch out parts of my hair until they're dry I look like I'm wearing a 4b/4c version of a mullet. Not a good look! Also, that whole thing about not going outside with wet hair? Old wives' tale. I've done it for YEARS, in all sorts of weather, and never had any issues.
    UPDATE: I tried the LUS products again, following the instructions, but this time I added a decent amount of CRN Curl Maker gel at the end. I let my hair air-dry for maybe 5 hours, then finished with 20 minutes under the bonnet dryer. Next morning, I misted it and stretched it out with my diffuser. I have to say...I like the result. It's still a little dry-feeling but at least I was able to maintain the definition for the most part. I was concerned that gel wouldn't play well with LUS, which is why I started with a botanical gel instead of something like Eco Styler. I think flaxseed gel would probably work well with this also. I still don't plan on purchasing the full size versions of LUS products, but at least I'll get another couple of good styles out of it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file