White flakes in my hair..

YeayeahYeayeah Posts: 100Registered Users Curl Novice
As of late I have been getting white flakes in my hair after I put in the Shea moisture leave in conditioner into my hair. (Picture of product below)
I put this in my hair everyday every time I come out the shower and I struggle to rub it in my hair, I know a little goes a long way but sometimes it just feels like it’s not enough. Even if I do put a little in my hair, when my hair dry it looks kinda white. Also my hair feels stiff and kinda hard like I put gel in it. My current routine for my hair is I shower in the morning I put the rinse out shea moisture conditioner in my head then wash my body for a good 5-10 minutes then rinse it out 

After I get out the shower I put the Shea Moisture leave in conditioner in my head then shake it for a bit then go about my day

Note that I do that everyday 

Every Sunday I wash it with Shea moisture shampoo and use rinse the rinse out conditioner and after I use the Shea Moisture Leave in conditioner mix it in with Castar oil put in my hair then leave it in for a hour before I wash it out 

Here are some pictures of what my hair looks like, there so much things you can do with curly hair and so much products out there and methods that you get lost in translation I would like some advice. I also noticed that when my hair is short it is way more curlier than it is when it’s longer

Comments

• StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Posts: 92Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    First I'd like to say that you have really pretty hair, second you may have some potential build up. You shouldn't wash your hair with conditoner everyday since a little stays in the hair. As soon as you add the product repeatedly it leaves a deposit, try changing your regimen around overtime until you can get down to max 2 rimes a week and minimum 1 time a week, just a little tip.

If your hair gets frizzy, spray your hair with water until its at the desirable wetness or dampness and add only a little bit of product, not equal to what you used the first day, but enough to get the job done, this is known as refreshing if you didnt know. And it's best to only do it when needed, like if your day 2 looks fine then dont refresh etc.

Also, with that product, I noticed that (when i used it) is that if i used it to the point of turning white, I get flakes because i used too much, basically just use enough to where your hands can glide enough through the hair, and you feel thw coated-ness. Just enough to not overdo it.

Speaking of which, I think I'm going to refresh with this laters today. :smile:

Sorry for the extra long post.
  • YeayeahYeayeah Posts: 100Registered Users Curl Novice
    First I'd like to say that you have really pretty hair, second you may have some potential build up. You shouldn't wash your hair with conditoner everyday since a little stays in the hair. As soon as you add the product repeatedly it leaves a deposit, try changing your regimen around overtime until you can get down to max 2 rimes a week and minimum 1 time a week, just a little tip.

If your hair gets frizzy, spray your hair with water until its at the desirable wetness or dampness and add only a little bit of product, not equal to what you used the first day, but enough to get the job done, this is known as refreshing if you didnt know. And it's best to only do it when needed, like if your day 2 looks fine then dont refresh etc.

Also, with that product, I noticed that (when i used it) is that if i used it to the point of turning white, I get flakes because i used too much, basically just use enough to where your hands can glide enough through the hair, and you feel thw coated-ness. Just enough to not overdo it.

Speaking of which, I think I'm going to refresh with this laters today. :smile:

Sorry for the extra long post.
    Sorry if I’m bombarding you with questions but how would I specifically refresh my curls? The reason I co-wash everyday is because when I wake up from a good sleep my curls is usually matted down and nappy like, so when I shower in the morning I just wash it with conditioning and it looks normal again. If avoiding washing my hair in the mornings would that mean wearing a shower cap and put it over the nappy matted down hair to avoid getting water in my hair and then when I get out use a spray bottle to spray it with bottle then put the leave in conditioner in my hair? Or just run water over my head until my curls look a little bit “revived” or acceptable then when I come out put the leave in on my hair and do that everyday until it’s shampoo wash day?
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,562Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If the JBCO product is doing strange things to your hair, I would cut it out of your regimen. SheaMoisture products can be tricky; they are notorious for causing problems (though they do work for some people). Have you tried using a bit of your rinse-out conditioner as a leave-in? Sometimes that works just as well as a leave-in.

Is your hair low porosity? Low-porosity hair has a hard time absorbing product, and it can sit on top of the hair, creating white flakes. Shea butter in particular often sits on top of the hair and can cause build-up (though that build-up should be removed with a sulfate-free poo). In any case, I would chuck the JBCO and look for another leave-in conditioner, possibly one without shea butter.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file