Split ends on new growth?

KLW17KLW17 Posts: 14Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Long story, but I lost a lot of hair due to health issues and within the last few months, I have finally sprouted tons of new baby hairs all over my head. A lot of them are right up near the crown of my head in clusters, so it looks like I have horns some days as the new hairs are only about 1" long. These hairs are completely virgin. No heat, no silicones, sulfates, coloring, NOTHING. The problem is, as I was looking at some that decided to stand straight up today, they all have split ends! I expect that from the rest of my hair (my hair aside from the new growth is just past shoulder length and was chemically straightened and has always been extremely dry and frizzy, even long before straightening it). Why are these pristine new baby hairs so damaged already!?!?!? How can I prevent more split ends once I trim these ones off?

My hair type: Low porosity (I think), medium thickness and density. Somewhere in the 2a-2c range. IDK I've never seen it totally natural with no chemical or flat iron damage.

Products used:
Acure Mega Moisture Argan & Pumpkin Shampoo and Conditioner
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep conditioner
Shea Moisture Sugarcane Extract & Meadowfoam Seed Leave-in
Shea Moisture 100% Baobab oil

Hair washed 2x weekly, I use a soft anti-frizz hair wrap to dry it. I *just* bought Satin pillowcases, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,638Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Instead of being new growth, those short hairs might be old growth that's been broken off.  
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 890Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I’m thinking the same that it’s breakage. Definitely trim the ends when you see them. If you are having ske health issues, it could be a vitamin deficiency that’s making your hair split easily.
  • KLW17KLW17 Posts: 14Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Either way, I've been watching it grow out of my head, from completely non-existent to now an inch long. So whether was broken and re-grew or new growth from where it fell out is irrelevant. I know why my hair was falling out for years, but I don't feel like getting into it as it's not important and I've got it under control.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,751Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    edited November 1
    I'm glad you've got the base issue under control!  That's great news!  And the new growth is terrific, too.  I guess just trim the split ends and make sure your hair is well hydrated. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file