Thermal damage?

RJKY74RJKY74 Posts: 24Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hello my fellow curlies!

I have a weird blow-dry question. Do you think it makes a difference whether you air dry for some time and then finish up with a quick blow-dry vs blow-drying halfway first and then air drying to finish?

These are the things I ponder.

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,980Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I think the temperature is what matters.  As long as you use the dryer on low/no heat or medium heat it'll be less damaging.  And I think using it on wetter hair would be less damaging, as it's drying the excess water from your hair.  If you don't have any excess water, then it's drying out your hair. 

I do both.  I start with diffusing right out of the shower, then air dry for a while, the finish with diffusing.  I have time constraints and need to make sure my hair is dry before I leave the house.  It's more damaging to my hair to allow it to freeze (in the winter) than to dry it with gentle heat.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hmm, I haven't done a controlled scientific experiment on myself, but I would guess that blow-drying first and air-drying to finish would yield better results. I think that the cuticle can get frizzy and the clumps can get blown apart when you blow dry just a little too much when the hair is almost dry. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Based off a very not scientific video I watched recently, water acts like a heat protectant. So I think blow drying first would be less damaging as well as not running the risk of drying your hair too much.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I do your method, @Guide 65 .... a little diffusing, a little air drying, a little more diffusing. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file