Is "no poo" bad for us naturals?

Andrea'sCurlyAndrea'sCurly Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Just read an article, The Truth About the "No Poo" Trend -and Why It May Make You Go Bald 

What do you all think?!

I am a true believer of the ACV method which I use 1-2 times monthly to cleanse my hair from build up followed by a deep conditioner and rinse.  Otherwise, my regular routine, 1-2 times a week, is washing with water or a conditioner (after massaging my scalp with water while in the shower), then applying a leave-in (Blueberry Bliss Leave-in I'm loving now). I don't use much else and I only finger comb my hair since I'm trying to follow the Curly Girl routine. Recently, I applied a non-ammonia semi-permanent hair color; not so Curly Girl, I know! I found putting 2 drops of Vitamin E in a spray bottle of water on my hair each a.m. and p.m. helps the dryness. Regretting the coloring process on my hair, thank goodness it's semi-permanent. I never apply the oil to my scalp (okay my edges get the Vitamin E). That's it! Anywhoo, I've never experienced any of these problems the article discusses. If anything, I feel my hair is strong, soft, and moisturized without shampooing. 

Here's a picture of my hair (not the greatest photo shoot, and it's 4 day old hair in a puff which I wear relentlessly). I did a big chop 4 months ago clipping my hair to 1-2", however, I've been natural for a year now. Obviously, my hair is not falling out at 56!  FYI: I don't do hair type. I took the quiz, but for fun. Don't really care. We are all too unique to worry about curl circumference and length; which seems to be so restraining. Which is why it was easy for me to big chop. I do know I am high porosity (now that it's colored) and have fine, thick hair that frizzes. I live in a coastal area where humidity ranges from 50-98% on a given day, but my hair will frizz in dry heat, too.  What works? I will put a dime-sized amount of Blueberry Bliss Control Jelly after applying the Leave-in...but I only apply once after a "no-poo" wash. Way too much info, but I wanted to share what I have been experiencing with my routine versus what the article claims. And, it's fun to share!

Does anyone have any of the "no poo" effects the article describes-- hair yeast infection, hair loss, balding...? Should I be concerned this is down the road?

Hair type/texture: IDC  | porosity: high (semi-permanent color treated) | thickness: fine | density: medium/thick   
Regular Wash: the "no poo method" using a leave-in conditioner or just water. ACV to clarify monthly.
Deep Conditioning: ApHogee Keratin 2-minute Reconstructor/ApHogee or 2-Step Protein Treatment for intense protein followed by a deep conditioner
Leave-In Conditioner: Curls Blueberry Bliss Reparative Leave-in Conditioner, As I Am Leave-In Conditioner, Knot Today; but still searching
Stylers: Kinky Curly Original Curling Custard, Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Jelly, 
Refresher: WATER in a spray bottle with a pump of leave-in.  

“You can’t cross the sea by merely standing and looking at the water” 
—Rabindranath Tagore

Best Answers

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,560 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I'm not any type of medical expert, but if you haven't had symptoms by now, I think you're probably OK. I used to not wash my hair with anything except hot water, and my hair stylist told me that that could be dangerous in that your hair follicles can get clogged with sebum and cause your hair to fall out. But I was always careful to massage my scalp very well when I "washed," and she said that that was probably why I didn't have a problem. But I have seen other people post on this forum who have developed hair loss issues after stopping washing their hair. I don't think it's been a year out, however; I think it was much sooner.

Also, in the past people did not shampoo their hair often like we do now. They generally did a lot of brushing, I believe, and that helped keep the follicles free of sebum clogs (I'm guessing, anyway). So I think that you can't say that not shampooing will necessarily cause these problems, as our ancestors weren't all bald from not shampooing!
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,977 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I think as long as you're actually getting your scalp clean, you won't have problems with that method.  I think a lot of people jump on the bandwagon without really research how to do it properly, and then they run into problems. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I think it's genetic. The Wen lawsuit sort of centers on this topic. While many did not experience hair loss, others most certainly did. I believe more people are prone to clogged follicles and hair loss than others. The only side effect I suffered from the no poo method was product build up.

Answers

• Andrea'sCurlyAndrea'sCurly Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for your insightful answers! I agree with you both. Massaging the scalp with water does break up the sebum and actually cleans the scalp. I'm guessing some curlies with these adverse affects may skip, rush, or do the "no poo" process incorrectly leaving buildup, itchiness, and eventually problems with the scalp. Some may just produce more sebum needing more cleansing and massaging. I absolutely agree...history once again can be learned from. Perhaps the article should have taken a survey on how the scalps were cleansed by those with adverse affects!  ;)

Thank you! <3
    Hair type/texture: IDC  | porosity: high (semi-permanent color treated) | thickness: fine | density: medium/thick   
    Regular Wash: the "no poo method" using a leave-in conditioner or just water. ACV to clarify monthly.
    Deep Conditioning: ApHogee Keratin 2-minute Reconstructor/ApHogee or 2-Step Protein Treatment for intense protein followed by a deep conditioner
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curls Blueberry Bliss Reparative Leave-in Conditioner, As I Am Leave-In Conditioner, Knot Today; but still searching
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Original Curling Custard, Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Jelly, 

—Rabindranath Tagore

• Andrea'sCurlyAndrea'sCurly Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you, BrittanyM! Very insightful, as well. 
    FYI...I use ACV mixed with water as a rinse 1-2 times a month to tackle build up. I follow it with ApHogee, then a 30-minute deep hydrating conditioner, next my leave-in, and a dime of gel.  I avoid the butters and creams stylers they tend to make my hair dry and then heavy with build up after one time.Water with a bit of leave-in, DAILY, is my go-to. Haven't found an oil other than a drop of pure vitamin e every now and then in my water & leave-in refresher spray bottle that doesn't ruin what I achieved with my wash. I've tried and watched so many YouTube videos on using butters and creams, but they're not for everyone. I don't do twists or braid outs either...perhaps that's the problem? Just wash & go. I'm finding hair is unique person2person. Exciting, frustrating, beautiful, empowering, and fun!

—Rabindranath Tagore

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,977Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Speaking of the Wen issue, this brings up a pet peeve of mine.  There is this mindset of "transitioning" when starting a new routine (both hair care and skin care).  People seem to think it's expected to get worse before it gets better, your hair or skin is "detoxing", eliminating "toxins", etc.  Everyone tells you if you get a bad reaction, keep going!  It's good for you!

I think it's all BS.  If you get a bad reaction to something, for gosh sake, STOP!  Don't keep going thinking it'll get better eventually!  I've seen pictures of a few of those Wen cases, and that wasn't caused by a single use.  They must have been having problems leading up to those results - so why on earth did they keep going?  The same thing is happening with Monat too, and they do tell people to keep going through the "transition" stage.

I think we need to use our own common sense and stop listening to social media so much.  If something works for you, great!  But if you start getting a bad reaction, then do something else. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Agree. Monet says the same dang thing about a transition period. Even professional hairstylist are falling for this crap. And the people who sell it claim someone isn't using it right. Its nothing but another pyramid scheme with products with similar ingredients to other brands.
    Thanks for the info, both of you! WOW!!! I looked up both companies...it's mind boggling. Both sell on the shelves with little or no warning labels about possible side affects or reactions. Putting ingredients in your hair/scalp is as risky as putting food/drink into your body without knowing ingredients and warnings.  Especially, if you are prone to allergies, taking medications, or, just have a sensitive response to ingredients. Just like anything else...you have to listen to your body and mind! If you see a reaction-- STOP applying a product, or STOP whatever actions you're doing to your hair! :o

Thanks again for the conversation-- and, info. I am a newbie (1 year!) and always looking for new products. Definitely, have to be smart about what goes on your scalp-- observe, ask questions, research, research, research, and know your reactions. I recently started keeping a hair diary of products, scalp/skin reactions, hair love/hate, etc.  The diary helps keep me focused on my journey for now~smiles! I do love how this site helps to take a lot of the work out of it all. 

—Rabindranath Tagore

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file