So I bought a grey rug .....

hmkennyhmkenny Registered Users Posts: 1,467 Curl Connoisseur
and a grey throw for the ottoman but both the rug and the throw look green!   Any ideas as to what I can do to bring out the grey?  My apartment does not get much natural light at all.  I've tried changing lightbulbs from soft light to daylight but it's too harsh and it doesn't really work.  My couches are a warm maroon but I figured grey carpeting would be neutral.  Would grey paint help or would it also wind up looking green?   The green isn't bad but I really liked the grey.
3a/medium texture/normal porosity

Comments

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    Same thing happened to me when I bought my bedding.  I ordered it online.  It works fine.  
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • hmkennyhmkenny Registered Users Posts: 1,467 Curl Connoisseur
    I also bought new towels in a pretty sand color.  They look lavender! :D
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    We redecorated our bathroom in gray and white.  It's SO hard to get a good neutral gray!  Everything seems to have undertones that clash with each other.  The paint was easy - we could take the chips and tape them to the walls and pick out the right color.  But trying to get rugs and towels that were neutral gray was nearly impossible. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    Grey paint was a nightmare for me! Sooo many "greys" throwing off different colours, it nearly drove me mad! 
    3b in South Australia.
    I'm always confused - is it grey or gray?  I feel like both are correct, but maybe not.
    Current products:
    In Australia and the UK (where I'm from) it's grey. I think it's always gray in the US, but not sure tbh.
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Guide65, I think both are correct but gray is used more in US and grey in Brit.  
    Hmkenny, regarding gray paint, it's very tricky because grey has underlying different colors, green, yellow, blue, etc.  Can you buy small samples of a few different grays and swatch them on the wall and look at it at different times of day when the daylight will change?  If you don't want to swatch it directly on the wall, maybe buy a few sheets of cardboard type paper, and paint them different colors and tape them to the wall and check how it looks at different times of day.  A silvery grey paint can be beautiful if it isn't too dark.  I did that with a color called Silver Bell years ago - I don't know if it is still around.  If you don't want to use grey on the walls, maybe one of the whites or soft whites would be nice and add some lightness to the room.  Please let us know what you decide.  Good luck!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    I also bought a grey rug for my bathroom & grey towels to go with my black & grey theme.  Yep, they all look green.  WTH!
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Registered Users Posts: 209 Curl Connoisseur
    Yep, according to dictionary.com, it depends on which side of the pond you live on, but both are correct.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/gray-or-grey/

grAy is more common in America, while grEy is more common in England 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

And here I am in Canada, where both English and American spellings are used!  Oh well...either way, I guess people will understand what I mean.
    Current products:
  • hmkennyhmkenny Registered Users Posts: 1,467 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm never sure about grey or gray either, lol.   Thanks for the suggestions.  I like the idea of a white or soft white paint, because what if grey/gray paint doesn't work?  I'm also researching lighting options for dark apartments.  
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Blond vs. blonde has always confused me. As has ax vs. axe.
    And I'm always thrown by how British writers add a bunch of vowels to "ameba," "diarrhea" and "apnea." Similarly confused by "subpoeana."

I think a soft white paint would be good - you wouldn't want to find a grey you like only to find it throws off a different colour to the one the grey rug throws off.

And there's me putting an extra vowel into a word, sorry SL! (Not really sorry as I believe it's the right way to spell, lol!).
    3b in South Australia.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    AP style is "gray"
    "blonde" is a noun, a woman with blond hair. "Watch out for that blonde crossing the street." 
    "blond" is an adjective for the color. "Watch out for that blond woman crossing the street."

LOL. More than you probably cared to know!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    I had no idea about blond/blonde!  We're so educational here!
    Current products:
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso

Gray is tricky! But somehow Ms. Jackson pulls it off w/ its many tonal variations. Warm gray boots, neutral gray pants and top, warm gray jacket, cool, blueish gray bag and cool greenish gray (and warmish yellow) scarf.

• PoochiePoochie Registered Users Posts: 315 Curl Connoisseur
    About blonde/blond...  I was taught that this is gender related.  Whether a noun or an adjective, "blonde" is for a female and "blond" for a male. 
    The grey/gray can be whichever one you like!  It always reminds me of my childhood copy of "Black Beauty", in which Beauty as a colt belonged to Farmer Gray who then turned into Farmer Grey and back again (in that edition)!  That's a proper name of course so they should just pick one.  I'm guessing that happened when they were editing the book for American publication.
    My apartment complex is being painted & the stair railings are being painted a dark grey.  Some look grey & some look a dark green depending on the lighting.  So weird.  
    From Michael Berg:

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I just helped my sister pick out grey paint. It was hard! Sorry yours looks greenish. I have no tips to help! 
    I say grey. Probably because my mom and I used to read tons of gothic novels and they always said "grey". : ) 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Poochie said:
    About blonde/blond...  I was taught that this is gender related.  Whether a noun or an adjective, "blonde" is for a female and "blond" for a male. 
    Yes, "blonde" noun for female. "blond" noun for male. Stupid, eh? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file