Where is my breakage coming from?

tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
I am starting to think my endless frizz issue is due to breakage.  I lose lots of hair in the shower and compared a bunch of them left over in the tub.  They are all varying sizes and no visible roots.  I feel like I am doing everything that should prevent breakage so I am at a loss at what I can do. I,
  • Sleep on a satin pillowcase. I am inconsistent about what I do with my hair.  If the next day is a refresh day, I wear a satin bonnet or a polyester microfiber hair buff.  Mostly the latter.  If I plan on washing it in the morning I wear it in a pineapple or keep it down.
  • Detangle with my fingers while I co-wash until my fingers come out with only a few strands of hair
  • Use a wide tooth comb after I put in deep conditioner, after I put in my rinse out, before I rinse out my rinse out.
  • Inconsistently use a demean brush. When I do I use it before I rinse out my rinse out and after I put in gell but before I scrunch
  • Scrunch out extra moisture from my hair after I put in products with old cotton t-shirts.  Other than that I air dry
  • Diffuse 1-2 a week.  I use medium heat low speed (low heat does nothing to my hair)
  • Do a heated deep condition 2-3 a week
  • Rarely wear my hair up or use hats/hoods
  • Lounge on the couch with my satin pillow
  • Get a totally different type of frizz when I use protein and coconut 
So, any ideas at what changes I can make to stop the endless breakage?
2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Best Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    It could be product build up if your hair is also dry. And btw, not all my shed hairs have the root on it. If you have fine hair, it can snap easily. Detangling dry seems to help me some, first fingers then a tangle teezer.
  • MafiaPrincessMafiaPrincess Posts: 57 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    Hi! Excessive breakage can break your heart. It frustrates us and makes us feel hopeless about ever reaching our hair goals. I would say ditch all your detangling and styling tools for good. Use ONLY your fingers. Clarify from time to time, your hair needs it. Deep condition on a regular basis and overall be consistent and non-chalant with your routine. Don’t be finicky about looking for broken hairs around you every time wash detangle or style. That’ll only make you uncomfortable and drive you insane. Sometimes old ends break off at the gentlest stimulus. As long as you’re playing by the curly hair rules, you got nothing to worry about. This excessive breakage will come down by itself.

Answers

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    BrittanyM said:
    It could be product build up if your hair is also dry. And btw, not all my shed hairs have the root on it. If you have fine hair, it can snap easily. Detangling dry seems to help me some, first fingers then a tangle teezer.
    I am thinking build up is a culprit as well!  I am clarifying this weekend.  Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the tip on shed hair not having roots and fine hair! Many were definitely long enough to be shed hairs.  I have a decent mix of fine and medium with some thick hairs thrown in for good luck or something =P

What's a tangle teezer?
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have some grown out bleached hair, so my roots are darker than the length. When I first started growing out my hair, I realized that some of my "breakage" had a dark root rather than being solid bleach blonde; I don't know why some don't have the little root thing but they don't.
    A tangle teezer is a British brush that just gently detangles hair. Some bristles are longer than others and they are super flexible. It sounds freaking terrible going through your hair since the bristles are so flexible, it sounds like it's ripping all your hair out. If you feel your denman brush is good at detangling, keep at it; a tangle teezer is just what I use (if you were to purchase one one day, get the thick and curly one since the bristles are longer and can get to your scalp... I have the regular one and that's my one regret).
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Hi! Excessive breakage can break your heart. It frustrates us and makes us feel hopeless about ever reaching our hair goals. I would say ditch all your detangling and styling tools for good. Use ONLY your fingers. Clarify from time to time, your hair needs it. Deep condition on a regular basis and overall be consistent and non-chalant with your routine. Don’t be finicky about looking for broken hairs around you every time wash detangle or style. That’ll only make you uncomfortable and drive you insane. Sometimes old ends break off at the gentlest stimulus. As long as you’re playing by the curly hair rules, you got nothing to worry about. This excessive breakage will come down by itself.
    Thanks!  I am ditching my detangling tools sticking with my fingers for a while to see how that works. 

Update:   I am no longer having a breakage issue.  I am pretty sure the breakage issue was due to bad detaingling practices.    I am now super aware of when my fingers hit a knot anytime my fingers touch my hair.    You would be surprised how many baby knots (like only two strands stuck together) you rip through when you are washing or raking in products.  I now use a cheap conditioner to detangle before I use my low poo.   I stopped using the denman brush and I don't touch my hair without paying attention to what I feel.  Sounds like a lot, but I picked up the habit quickly.

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,980Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Good to know it's gotten better!  One of the things I learned from the MAP method is to pay attention to how your hair feels, and how it looks, through the whole process - from cleansing all the way through to breaking the cast. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    @Guide 65  - I am so curious about the MAP method now!    I found your post from a year ago which was super helpful, as mentioned in those threads, there is like no information out there.

Can you share the site you purchased from?  The site I found looks sketchy.  Well the whole MAP method looks like a sketchy scam to be honest haha.  But I would feel better getting a link from someone I trust :) 

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,980Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Three's only one place to purchase the course - https://www.curlyhairartistry.com/p/the-map-method-online-course

Scott Musgrave is the founder of Curly Hair Artistry and is an educator specializing in curly hair.  There used to me a lot more info about the MAP method online, but when he created his curly course, he tried to lock down all the free info floating around.  Things get twisted in the retelling, and he's just trying to keep his method from morphing into something different, the way the CG method did.

Wavycurlychronicles on instagram is a member - you can look through all her pictures and see the transformation of her hair on the MAP method. 

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file