How long did it take for you to notice results?

royalmesswithascarroyalmesswithascar Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited October 2018 in Transitioning
Hello,

I was curious how long it look for you to notice results?  I have just started but I'm curious how long the chaotic messy hair lasted so I don't get frustrated and just give up right before results typically occur. 

Comments

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited October 2018
    I started to notice a serious difference after about 1-2 months.  Month 4-5 is when my curls hit their stride.

I will note that my hair was quite damaged when I started and I had zero experience on curly hair care prior. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • royalmesswithascarroyalmesswithascar Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for your response.  Your hair is beautiful.  I have really dry hair and I've been meaning to do deep conditioning treatments but I always forget.  I put my hair in a ponytail the other day and could feel my hair strands snapping :confounded:

If you don't mind me asking, did your hair get oily after starting to transition? I am worried that using conditioner may make my hair oily.  When I was younger someone told me it made my hair oily and I have been terrified to use it since. :fearful:
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Thank you!

I am guessing the someone who told you that probably didn't have curly hair.  Curly hair NEEDS moisture. That is why CG incorporates washing with conditioner, conditioning with conditioner, AND using deep conditioning.    I didn't experience oily hair, but I did experience fast build up at first, which left my hair limp and greasy looking.  I was clarifying once a week the first couple months, now I clarify every 4-6 weeks.

Deep conditioning is an important part of most curlies routines (I DC 2-3 times a week) and it's especially important when you are transitioning.   What is your current routine and products?
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• royalmesswithascarroyalmesswithascar Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    You would be right.  They had straight hair.  Currently I am using the Live Clean Mineral Clay Shampoo.  I don't have any conditioner but sometimes I put some sunflower oil in my hair and then throw a shower cap on and sit in the shower until it feels like I'm in a sauna. I have ordered some Innersense products (hairbath shampoo, moisturizing conditioner, i create hold gel, i create volume, daily inspiration conditioner, hydrating mask) that hopefully will be here in a reasonable time.  Currently, my local post office is doing a strike so some parcels are delayed. 

Routine wise, I usually stand in the shower struggling to get all of my hair wet since it takes forever for the water to stop beading or just making my hair look damp only  to dry five minutes later when I'm trying to shampoo. :angry: I then shampoo and do my best to get everything off of my scalp and rinsed out.  I gently finger comb and detangle all the loose hair. I then scrunch in some lukewarm water and prepare for inevitable flattening of the curls that form while I'm in the shower. :confounded:
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    It took me 6 months before I started seeing results I was really happy with.  Stick with it, it does get better.

I think I mentioned somewhere else that Innersense is tricky to use.  If you've never used conditioner before - I don't know how you'll like it.  Just use a tiny bit when you start.  With other conditioners I can just put some on and work it through and it melts away all the tangles and makes my hair soft - really easy to use.  So if you don't like this conditioner, don't write them all off.  This one is much different than most of the others.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Hello,

I was curious how long it look for you to notice results?  I have just started but I'm curious how long the chaotic messy hair lasted so I don't get frustrated and just give up right before results typically occur. 
    Don't give up!  It will happen! :)

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    I agree with @Guide 65, don't write of conditioner if what you bought doesn't work.  If you don't like what it's doing to your hair, I suggest starting with a lightweight conditioner like Not Your Mother's Naturals Linseed Chia Blend & French Plum Seed Oil Volume Boost Conditioner

Your hair taking so long to get wet and it beading could be a couple things:
    • It could be due to your hair's porosity hair.  Knowing your hair's porosity will help tremendously when troubleshooting hair issues.
    • You might have build up and need to clarify.  Even when you are avoiding products with silicons and waxes, you can still experience build up.  Getting fast build-up is common when transitioning.   You should try doing an Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse, or my personal favorite DIY cleanser, "Lemon Aid" from the CG Handbook
      LEMON AID
      Combine juice of 1 large lemon* with your usual amount of conditioner, then rinse through hair thoroughly.'
      NOTE: A lot of people find 1/2 a lemon is enough as for some this can be drying. Also, for best results, it should be thoroughly rinsed out with cool water and followed by regular conditioning.

Keep us posted!  And don't give up!

You guys have been a dream come true support wise.  I think my family believes I'm crazy for trying this.  It's been nice to have some support and encouragement to keep going.
    I hope it is okay posting here again. I didn’t want to make a new thread but I wanted to update you guys. 

I used Innersense for the first time last night and I don’t think my hair likes styling products but it seemed to love just the shampoo + hydration mask + conditioner.  I had a single strand of hair that sat on top of all my waves and it looked like a 3b ringlet that went all the way to the root. Sure, it was only one strand but I am going to be optimistic and keep at these products.  It’s a shame the styling products didn’t work but I can try to find other uses for them outside of my hair so they don’t get wasted. :) 
    You guys have been a dream come true support wise.  I think my family believes I'm crazy for trying this.  It's been nice to have some support and encouragement to keep going.
     <3 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    I hope it is okay posting here again. I didn’t want to make a new thread but I wanted to update you guys. 

I used Innersense for the first time last night and I don’t think my hair likes styling products but it seemed to love just the shampoo + hydration mask + conditioner.  I had a single strand of hair that sat on top of all my waves and it looked like a 3b ringlet that went all the way to the root. Sure, it was only one strand but I am going to be optimistic and keep at these products.  It’s a shame the styling products didn’t work but I can try to find other uses for them outside of my hair so they don’t get wasted. :) 
    Thanks for the update. Have you tried stylers other than Innersense? 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso

That's a great start!  Hold onto the styling products.  Once you get a little more experience they may work better for you.  Or they may work better in different weather conditions.  Try them again in summer - they may work better then.

I use the I Create Volume after conditioning, and then use Deva Ultra Defining Gel over top.  The iVolume gives me beautiful definition, and the UDG gives me pretty good hold.  I haven't figured out how to use the I Create Hold.  It just doesn't work as well as the UDG for me.  With iVolume, use just a very small amount. then a generous helping of gel.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • MonipenMonipen Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been transitioning for 8 months now, I'm still by far not where I'd like to be, but people keep telling me I need to be patient. I feel like I've had some good days and bad days, but also I feel like my hair did better in the summer and now that winter is here it's not as good anymore. I guess that's why they say one might need to change products in winter time. 

My advice to you is keep on trying different products. I've been doing that so far too, the only way to know what works for you is by trying out different things. But like someone else also mentioned in the above comments: try to find out more about your type of hair... like thickness, density and porosity. In the beginning I just bought products randomly and turns out some of them really weren't right for me.

And please do not skip on conditoner... that's one of the most important things you can use. And deep conditioning too. I do that once a week every Sunday and it makes a huge difference.

Oh and I've also noticed that I do get product build-up soon. So every other week I have to clarify.
  • 3lphie3lphie Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I'm in the same boat, here! I just started this process on Sunday. I used DevaCurl No-Poo and One Condition, followed by their B'Leave In. I plopped my hair as soon as I got out of the shower, using a t-shirt. Although there were a couple of spots that still had a bit of frizz, overall I really liked how it looked on Sunday.

Yesterday I just co-washed and used the leave in, followed by a plop, and it....didn't look that great. My coworkers said it looked fine but I felt like it looked weighed down and maybe even unwashed/dirty. I started over today and used all three products this morning and again it doesn't look that great.

Am I just in that weird transition phase or am I doing something wrong? What other products might work for me? I have a friend who loves the DevaCurl poos and conditioners but their styling products don't really work for her. Maybe I've got the wrong kind of styling product? 

Any help/advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

For reference, I'm a 3a but I also have spots that will coil up fairly tightly. I'm also working with fried and damaged ends that have been bleached and colored. I know, I know...bad curly girl!  :( I'm considering getting a DevaCut if only to get the fried ends chopped off....but it's also taken me nearly two years to grow back a few inches after a bad cut. :\ 

Ugh. The curly girl life is a struggle!
    3lphie said:
    I'm in the same boat, here! I just started this process on Sunday. I used DevaCurl No-Poo and One Condition, followed by their B'Leave In. I plopped my hair as soon as I got out of the shower, using a t-shirt. Although there were a couple of spots that still had a bit of frizz, overall I really liked how it looked on Sunday.

Yesterday I just co-washed and used the leave in, followed by a plop, and it....didn't look that great. My coworkers said it looked fine but I felt like it looked weighed down and maybe even unwashed/dirty. I started over today and used all three products this morning and again it doesn't look that great.

Am I just in that weird transition phase or am I doing something wrong? What other products might work for me? I have a friend who loves the DevaCurl poos and conditioners but their styling products don't really work for her. Maybe I've got the wrong kind of styling product? 

Any help/advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

For reference, I'm a 3a but I also have spots that will coil up fairly tightly. I'm also working with fried and damaged ends that have been bleached and colored. I know, I know...bad curly girl!  :( I'm considering getting a DevaCut if only to get the fried ends chopped off....but it's also taken me nearly two years to grow back a few inches after a bad cut. :\ 

Ugh. The curly girl life is a struggle!
    When you are washing with no poo, how long are you massaging your scalp?  When not using sulfates you need to put a little extra elbow grease into washing.  If you listen to music, you should get through 1-2 songs before you are done "washing".  

Transition period sucks, it's not just you!  I had extremely damaged hair like you (I had been blow drying 25+ years, straightening for 20+ years, and dying for 15+ years before I started embracing my curls).  My hair was so damaged the ends were permanently straightened!   

Co-washing might not just be for you.  But, since your hair is so damaged, I suggest sticking to it until you at least finish the bottle.  Keeping your hair away from products that dry out your hair will help it heal faster.  What helped me when i was in your shoes was adding a lemon rinse once a week.    Mix the juice of one lemon with your no poo and wash with that mixture.  

Keep us updated! 

I just read about that lemon trick this morning! I might give it a try and see what happens!

From what you're saying....I'm definitely not 'washing' long enough...probably about half a song. Noted and I'll try to do it for longer tomorrow!

Has anyone used conditioner as a leave - in? I ran out of my B'Leave In this morning and I'm debating on whether to leave a bit of conditioner in tomorrow or just go without any product and see what happens!

edited February 5
    @3lphie ;  Using conditioner as leave in is super common!  I don't personally have a preference. But from my observations, I have found that curlies who do have a preference prefer to not rinse out all of their conditioner opposed to using a product marketed as a leave in.  As long as your conditioner is CG, there really is no difference in conditioner vs. leave in.  Leave-in conditioner are a bit of a marketing gimmick.  

I use a marketed leave-in on deep condition days since I use my deep condition in replace of my normal conditioner.  My DC is too heavy to use as a leave in.  Though, I have seen some curlies use their DC for leave in purposes.  You just have to trial and error. Frustrating, I know :( 

So I tried to leave in some of the DC conditioner this morning and I will never do it again. I nearly cried when I unplopped my hair. :( It looks terrible. I'm going to file this in my lessons learned box and try something new tomorrow. 

In the meantime I pulled it into a bun today in an attempt to hide the fact that it looks dirty and horrid. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.  :'(
    @3lphie ; oh no!  what happened to your hair?   I used One Condition today and left some in as leave in.  I actually thought of you when I used it so its sad to hear you got such bad results :( I'm sorry

It just looks heavy, weighed down and like I haven't washed it in days. Ugh! Can't wait to find something that works and for this awful transition period to be over!
  • StaircaseWittyStaircaseWitty Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Mine took nearly two years to get into shape. It's definitely hard to watch others have such quick progress but you can do it!
    3A top, 2A underneath fine, low porosity.
    HGs: Bounce Curl Creme Gel, Innersense Color Radiance condish
    On the hunt for a better refresh spray (currently using KCSS)

edited February 7
    3lphie said:
    It just looks heavy, weighed down and like I haven't washed it in days. Ugh! Can't wait to find something that works and for this awful transition period to be over!
    If you never want to try it again, that's totally fine. Please don't feel like I am pressuring you to make this work (on some other curly forums I feel people insist something works for everyone, which I personally don't appreciate so would hate to make others feel like that).  But, if you are intersted in trouble shooting it, it could be because you left too much in.  My hair gets greasy looking super easily and I struggled a lot with leaving in some rinse out (RO) to use as leave in at first.

For me, I do a quick dip under the shower then take a hand full of hair and pulse squeeze down.  At first it will be super milky. I keep repeating until there is just a very slight cloudy look, almost clear.  

For me, I do a quick dip under the shower then take a hand full of hair and pulse squeeze down.  At first it will be super milky. I keep repeating until there is just a very slight cloudy look, almost clear.  
    Thanks, I might keep that in mind and try it out again sometime. I am so much happier with how it turned out today. I did my normal routine except for one change: I didn't plop. I've been plopping for months now but it seems that my new CGM hair might not like it. I'm going to keep experimenting with products and things but I think from now on I'm just going to let it sit there and air dry. There are still some frizzy bits and I have a couple of wonky curls but I can live with that. 

At least I didn't feel like I had to pull it back and hide it today!  :D

Wow.....I'm so sorry about how big this picture is....that is..mildly terrifying...

I want to leave another comment on this one, as I did a while ago. I just want to say that I'm a year and 4 months into this transitioning, and so far I am only frustrated. It's not working. After I wash my hair it's ok, some curls but mostly wavy with some straight hair there as well. But the second day it's flat and my hair is 80% straight, the rest is wavy and weird, like parts of some hair strands are straight/wavy. Even though I sleep on a silk-pillow case, sometimes I use the special silk hair cap for sleeping. I get regular trims, every 6 months. My hair is not very long, it's just a little bit longer than shoulder length. I do have very thick hair though, even my hairdresser says so. At this point there is hardly any difference from when I first started.
    I want to leave another comment on this one, as I did a while ago. (For some reason the computer or the website won't let me start a new thread.) I just want to say that I'm a year and 4 months into this transitioning, and so far I am only frustrated. It's not working. After I wash my hair it's ok, some curls but mostly wavy with some straight hair there as well. But the second day it's flat and my hair is 80% straight, the rest is wavy and weird, like parts of some hair strands are straight/wavy. Even though I sleep on a silk-pillow case, sometimes I use the special silk hair cap for sleeping. I get regular trims, every 6 months. My hair is not very long, it's just a little bit longer than shoulder length. I do have very thick hair though, even my hairdresser says so. At this point there is hardly any difference from when I first started.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file