Getting Started Caring For Low Porosity Hair?

KLW17KLW17 Posts: 14Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I've discovered that my hair is on the low porosity side. It's naturally 2b (I think) but it was chemically straightened earlier this summer. It's only got about an inch of new growth at the roots. So right now it's mostly just slightly wavy, but very limp, dull, and frizzy. For my entire life it has been a frizzy poofball with no defined curl pattern at all, even before I started flat ironing it regularly. 

Since that last straightening treatment caused my hair to break off and fall out like you wouldn't believe, I swore off everything. I haven't used a flat iron, hair dryer, etc. on it since. I got rid of my old products that contained sulfates, silicones, etc. And avoid any product with coconut oil because that makes my hair break off too.
Here's what I've been using:
Shampoo: Acure Mega Moisture Shampoo
Conditioner: Acure Mega Moisture Conditioner and Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep conditioner (I wash 2x a week and alternate between these every other time. When I use the deep conditioner, I put it under a plastic cap and let it sit for at least 20 minutes.)
Leave-in: Shea Moisture Sugarcane Extract & Meadowfoam Seed Silicone Free Leave-In mixed with a squirt or two of Shea Moisture Baobab oil (applied to wet hair in shower).
I never use a regular towel. Just a soft anti-frizz wrap for 10-20 minutes and air dry the rest of the way. 

None of this has made a difference in my hair. I know there are a million different products out there, but just to help me get started in the right direction, if there are any products/methods you can suggest, I would be very thankful.

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,638Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    SM products tend to be very heavy, so not always a good fit for wavy, low porosity hair.  I would take those out and replace with something else.  Do you use any styling products?  Most curlies/wavies use gel to help with curl, definition and hold.  You can try something inexpensive to start with.  LA Looks Sports gel or Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel are good options.  Apply the gel to really wet hair (right in the shower, before you even use a towel), and let it air dry without touching.  It'll dry hard and crunchy, so when it's 100% dry, squish your hair to soften it.  It should end up soft and frizz free.

You might do well with an olaplex treatment.  It's supposed to help repair hair that's been chemically damaged. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 99Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    I agree about SM products being too heavy.  Myself and others have found that even their low porosity line is too heavy.    I suggest staying away from shea butter.   

Also, agree with the gel.  Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Boosting Mousse is a really good silicon free lightweight mouse.  It gave me a bit of a cast (super scary at first, but the hard cast from gels and mouses are a good thing.  You just "scrunch out the crunch").  If your hair does well with this, you can probably move up to something heavier, like a lightweight gel, and just keep moving up until your hair can't handle it anymore.   A trick that helps a lot of low porosity curlies is put your products in right out of the shower before you wring out excess water.  Low porosity absorbs at it's best when it's really wet.

Good luck!
    2c/3a | low porosity | medium density | mixed thickness | protein and coconut sensitive | CGM

Wash: JessiCurl Cleansing Cream; DevaCurl Low Poo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Deep Conditioner: NYMN Green Butter Masque w/ Hot Head cap
    Stylers: Curl Junie Spiral Lotion, JessiCurl Sprialicious Gel

The Curly Girl Method helped me fall in love my natural curls
  • KLW17KLW17 Posts: 14Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for the responses! Despite the fact that my hair is chemically straightened, I tried some Deva Curl gel that my sister gave me and did the whole "scrunch out the crunch" thing. It definitely brought back some wave, but even after letting it dry completely and scrunching with clean hands, my hair was frizzy and felt sticky. I assume that gel was just not right for my hair though. 

Other than that, I haven't tried any styling products. I'm honestly trying to enjoy every moment of straightness I have left with my hair so am not trying to accentuate the wave yet. But if there's something I can use that's light but will help keep my hair soft and hydrated, that would be really neat.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 99Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    edited October 26
    KLW17 said:
    Thank you for the responses! Despite the fact that my hair is chemically straightened, I tried some Deva Curl gel that my sister gave me and did the whole "scrunch out the crunch" thing. It definitely brought back some wave, but even after letting it dry completely and scrunching with clean hands, my hair was frizzy and felt sticky. I assume that gel was just not right for my hair though. 

Other than that, I haven't tried any styling products. I'm honestly trying to enjoy every moment of straightness I have left with my hair so am not trying to accentuate the wave yet. But if there's something I can use that's light but will help keep my hair soft and hydrated, that would be really neat.

Which gel did you use?  2 out of their 3 gels have protein in it, which can cause the frizz.  The sticky feeling sounds like the gel didn't' penetrate.    How wet was your hair when you put in the gel?  Low Porosity hair does best if you put product in soaking wet hair.  Like right out of the shower and before you ring out extra moisture.  When your hair is wet, your shafts are able to better take in a product.

2c/3a | low porosity | medium density | mixed thickness | protein and coconut sensitive | CGM

Wash: JessiCurl Cleansing Cream; DevaCurl Low Poo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Deep Conditioner: NYMN Green Butter Masque w/ Hot Head cap
    Stylers: Curl Junie Spiral Lotion, JessiCurl Sprialicious Gel

The Curly Girl Method helped me fall in love my natural curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file