How do you keep your head/ears warm in freezing weather without ruining your curls?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,224Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
In very cold weather, when I need to wear a tight knit hat to keep my head and ears warm (and sometimes use a hood over it) I find I can't wear my hair curly.  The curls just get completely smashed so I've given up and I've resorted to roller sets. I might try furry ear muffs  A loose hat doesn't work - I need something really warm. I'm interested to know what others do in really frigid weather when the wind is frigid and you must wear a hat that keeps you warm.  
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,977Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I avoid hats as much as possible.  But if it's cold enough to really NEED one, I just go for warmth and forget about the hair.  My hair is long enough now to put it into a ponytail when I get to wherever I'm going.  I might do that this winter.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 209Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This will be my first winter wearing my hair curly, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do, lol. I've always preferred the headband ear muffs, or the style that go behind your head and under your hair (sometimes) so we'll see how it rolls this winter
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wear a headband type thing to keep my ears warm but I don't live in a frigid climate where I need to keep my head warm. There are satin lined beanies and you can always make one yourself if you are crafty.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The weather here doesn't get that cold thankfully, but I'm off to England for Christmas and wondering how I'll manage. I found a coat with a nice sized hood but, unlike the rest of the coat, it's not lined and I can see it not ending well. I've knitted a loose beret kind of a thing though not sewn it up yet so don't know if that's even going to look right, never mind be ok for my hair! 
    3b in South Australia.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,560Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I usually use earmuffs if I don't want to mess up my hair. If my hair is only slightly wavy when I wake up, I usually brush it so it's only 2a, and then I wear a tighter cap. I get a lot of frizz from hats and don't know how to satin-line the ones I have, so I just accept the frizz. I have resorted to ponytails, as @Guide 65 mentioned, but I just got my hair cut shorter, so I will probably use the flat iron. Such is life.

Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,717Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I would rather be warm than have good hair, so I just wear my usual hats and put my hair in a pony or braid if it gets too smooshed. I wear fat knit caps, fur lined trapper hats, ear flap hats, hooded scarves. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    This is my first winter with curly hair and I have been debating this as well.  I think might invest in some earmuffs. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,224Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow, thanks everyone for the great responses!  I think I'll go with earmuffs, a number of you seem to be doing that.  I appreciate everyone who answered.  You guys are definitely the best.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,303Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm using a knitted headband currently which I button under my hair.  I'm going to get some Earbags though to keep for supplementing the headband.  

On super cold days, the hood of my long parka is lined with nylon so my hair slides without tangling.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Wow, thanks everyone for the great responses!  I think I'll go with earmuffs, a number of you seem to be doing that.  I appreciate everyone who answered.  You guys are definitely the best.
    We look forward to seeing a pic of you wearing your cute earmuffs!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I just used a satin lined winter hat I ordered on etsy for a 30 minute errand today.  It ruined my root volume and the curls on the top half.

I think I am going to try putting my hair in as if I am going to plop next time I wear it.  And that will only be when it's too cold for just earmuffs.

The earmuffs have been great so far.  Luckily it doesn't get too too cold here in Western Washington state (Eastern Washington is a different story) :) 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• guineapigsrcuteguineapigsrcute Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you part your hair on the side, flip your part to the other side and put your hat on. Then when you take your hat off, flip your part back.

In the CG book it says you can try clipping your roots before putting the hat on. I haven't tried this yet.
    If you part your hair on the side, flip your part to the other side and put your hat on. Then when you take your hat off, flip your part back.

In the CG book it says you can try clipping your roots before putting the hat on. I haven't tried this yet.
    Awesome suggestion!  I lent my CG book out to someone an I don't think I'm getting it back :(   I will have to swing by the library this weekend!  Thanks!

• machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited December 2018
    I just used a satin lined winter hat I ordered on etsy for a 30 minute errand today.  It ruined my root volume and the curls on the top half.

I think I am going to try putting my hair in as if I am going to plop next time I wear it.  And that will only be when it's too cold for just earmuffs.

The earmuffs have been great so far.  Luckily it doesn't get too too cold here in Western Washington state (Eastern Washington is a different story) :) 
    I have the head band ear muffs which are good when it’s aroind freezing. We live in Philly and it going to be getting colder and if you’re going to be outside for a period of time you got to wear a hat. My hair gets that fluffy wavy look where it looks like it’s a couple of clumps when I wear a hat. I try not to just smush the hat on. I’ll sort of almost turn my head upside down and put the knit hat on without smushing it down. 

My hair is a little weighed down in the winter by design anyway cause I leave in lots more glycerin free conditioner. It’s pretty dry and windy now and my hair maintains hydration better with leaving in a lot of condish. This makes my hair with the fluffy clumpy less defined look which is OK. 

I’d rather be warm than worrry about my hair. 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    macher said:

I’d rather be warm than worrry about my hair. 
    True dat. At some point, we have to put beauty aside!  I know, blasphemy! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,224Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    In freezing weather I have totally given up trying to wear my hair curly.  I set it using old style rollers.  Kind of a more mature look (not in a good way) but it lasts for days and squashing my hair under a wool beanie doesn't harm it.  On the plus side I can cheat cg and use silicone & sulfate products.
  • bobbybobby Posts: 783Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't live in frigid weather but since I work outside I need something to keep my ears warm. I wear a wide headwrap that covers the ears. It puffs out the curls in the process. 
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file