Does anyone else have frizz problems from plopping and like techniques?

tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
I use to plop when my hair was long and damaged.  Once I cut off the dead ends and half my hair, plopping stopped working for me.  It caused my hair to get this wispy frizz throughout.    I recently found a new routine in which I let my hair form a gel cast at night then put it up in a hair buff.  Last night I decided to see what happens if I put it up just as it's forming its cast (before it gets really hard).  I woke up with nice curls, but that wispy frizz is back!  When I let my hair air dry without any type of plopping like techniques, the frizz is really just a halo, not throughout. Does anyone else have this problem or can pinpoint what's causing this?  

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Best Answers

• OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    Hope you find a solution!
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

Accepted Answer
    Just checking in.  Tinksaysboo,did you find out what was causing your frizz? 
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

Accepted Answer
    Sorry to hear that about the coconut oil.  I never could use it either.  Maybe when your hair calms down from that a different kind of protein would work....but maybe a deep clarifying and deep moisture treatment with heat would work better at the moment.  Anyway, hope you find something that works for you.

Answers

• OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Do you use a satin pillowcase or silk sleep bonnet?  Just a suggestion, you may be scrubbing your hair too much on the pillows?  
    I get some of that wispy frizz too but I think its because my products are not moisturising enough.  Especially, if you are coming into colder temperatures, I've noticed that cold dry air sucks most of the moisture out of my hair....or what about being sure you're using enough product or increase the hold of your products?  

Hopefully this can give some ideas to explore.

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Plopping has never worked for me.  I end up with hair plastered to my scalp, and the curls are all weird and square looking.  Also I started with a cheap microfiber hair towel, and I found it created just as much frizz as my terrycloth bath towels.  Once I switched to a smooth textured towel I got a lot less frizz.  So your frizz might have something to do with the material you're using to plop with.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Ondulee said:
    Do you use a satin pillowcase or silk sleep bonnet?  Just a suggestion, you may be scrubbing your hair too much on the pillows?  
    I get some of that wispy frizz too but I think its because my products are not moisturising enough.  Especially, if you are coming into colder temperatures, I've noticed that cold dry air sucks most of the moisture out of my hair....or what about being sure you're using enough product or increase the hold of your products?  

I have a satin pillowcase and sleep between a satin bonnet and a hair buff.  This frizz problem only happens when I plopping or do like techniques, so I don't think it's the products.
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Guide 65 said:
    Plopping has never worked for me.  I end up with hair plastered to my scalp, and the curls are all weird and square looking.  Also I started with a cheap microfiber hair towel, and I found it created just as much frizz as my terrycloth bath towels.  Once I switched to a smooth textured towel I got a lot less frizz.  So your frizz might have something to do with the material you're using to plop with.
    that could be it.  I usually plop with a cotton t-shirt.  This last time was with a hair buff made of microfiber polyester

Ondulee said:
    Thanks for following up!   I didn't, I think my hair just doesn't like being dried in close quarters =P 

Ondulee said:
    Done some more mulling over this and doing research online.  I think this is a breakage issue.  In fact, I think the majority of my frizz woes are due to breakage. 

I am sure my hair moves around in the plop (maybe that's what I am doing wrong?) so it could be that the friction of my hair rubbing against each other while trying to dry is causing the breakage.  I never get the hard cast I get when I plot that I get when I let my hair air dry normal, which tells me something different is going on.

Ondulee said:
    Done some more mulling over this and doing research online.  I think this is a breakage issue.  In fact, I think the majority of my frizz woes are due to breakage. 

I am sure my hair moves around in the plop (maybe that's what I am doing wrong?) so it could be that the friction of my hair rubbing against each other while trying to dry is causing the breakage.  I never get the hard cast I get when I plot that I get when I let my hair air dry normal, which tells me something different is going on.
    @tinksaysboo, how long do you plop for?  Maybe too much moisture is being removed from your hair before styling?  

I used to plop for 10 minutes at least and always had some frizz.  I decided to plop for max 5 minutes and my frizz went down, I think because my products went on wetter hair. Also, shorter plopping time would mean less hair friction, either against itself or your towel.

Ondulee said:

I sleep on a satin pillowcase along with using a satin sleep bonnet or a polyester microfiber hair buff.  I do forego them and just pineapple or sleep with my hair down when I plan on washing in the morning.  I am a heavy tosser, but if I use a satin pillowcase that shouldn't matter, should it?

I am actually going to start exploring using a styling cream.  When I first started I tried  Cantu (my hair hates coconut) and then Crème Brule Whipped CURL Cream which was too heavy.  I deemed my hair unable to handle creams after that.  But now that my hair is in a better place Its time to try again.  I ordered a travel size of DevaCurl's Styling Cream, but I am pretty sure I am protein sensitive so I have doubts.  Do you have any recommendations?  I was thinking about the NYMN curl cream.

I'm most familiar with the Curl Keeper line of products.  I regularly use both the anti-frizz serum(Original Curl Keeper) and Curl Keeper Gel.  
    I'm also very interested in their Curl Keeper Styling Cream...especially for winter moisture retention.  I haven't tried it yet but all of the Curl Keeper line promise no build up.  I've used them for years and never had build up at all.  Not sticky or gluey feeling and no residue or flaking.  

Here's the product description for the styling cream...  Frizz off.com

"Curl Keeper® Styling Cream allows easy manipulation of curls into a looser, well defined, frizz-free curl with ultimate softness and clean shine. Reactivates with water with absolutely no product build-up."   I'm interested in trying it, maybe it would be something you could try.  

Ondulee said:
    I'm most familiar with the Curl Keeper line of products.  I regularly use both the anti-frizz serum(Original Curl Keeper) and Curl Keeper Gel.  
    I'm also very interested in their Curl Keeper Styling Cream...especially for winter moisture retention.  I haven't tried it yet but all of the Curl Keeper line promise no build up.  I've used them for years and never had build up at all.  Not sticky or gluey feeling and no residue or flaking.  

Here's the product description for the styling cream...  Frizz off.com

"Curl Keeper® Styling Cream allows easy manipulation of curls into a looser, well defined, frizz-free curl with ultimate softness and clean shine. Reactivates with water with absolutely no product build-up."   I'm interested in trying it, maybe it would be something you could try.  
    When I plop, I plop overnight. So a good 8-12 hours.  I have tried plopping for shorter intervals (30 minutes being the shortest) and it seemed to be more frizz.  My hair also takes a good 4-5 hours to air dry in the middle of summer.  When I plop for 12 hours, my hair is still damp enough I need to take a diffuser to it if I plan on leaving the house right away.

The Curl Keeper Styling Cream has protein in it :(  I haven't tried protein in my hair in months, but I just recently gave a product with coconut oil another chance and now my hair is a mess.  Think I need to give my hair a week or two to recover before I experiment with protein again haha.

thanks for your advice!

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I tried the Curl Keeper styling cream.  HORRIBLE stuff.  It was so thick and sticky.  It wouldn't even rinse off my hands - I had to use soap to get it off.  I swapped it out to someone else, then found out it had been swapped out to a third person.  I don't think any of us could get it to work.

I have Innersense Quiet Calm Curl Control that I've been saving to try this winter.  I've been using it for refreshing, and it works pretty good for that.  It might have protein in it though - most of that line does.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    The Build-Up Booster package got delayed and I just found out it has protein (i swore I checked for that).  I ended up going with my tried and true Lemon AId clarifying rinse.  Oh boy, my hair was far more due for a clarifying rinse than I realized.   It's amazing how washing with a simple lemon can make such a positive difference!

Finding a curl cream that is protein AND coconut free is difficult!  I tried Curls Creme Brulee a couple months ago, but it made my hair really greasy.  I just ordered Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion Hair Styling Creme.  Fingers crossed!

I love some of the Curl Junkie products. Be sure to review this spiral lotion when you've had a chance to try it...very interested to hear your opinion.

Guide 65 said:
    I tried the Curl Keeper styling cream.  HORRIBLE stuff.  It was so thick and sticky.  It wouldn't even rinse off my hands - I had to use soap to get it off.  I swapped it out to someone else, then found out it had been swapped out to a third person.  I don't think any of us could get it to work.

I have Innersense Quiet Calm Curl Control that I've been saving to try this winter.  I've been using it for refreshing, and it works pretty good for that.  It might have protein in it though - most of that line does.
    @Guide 65, I'm disappointed that the CHS styling cream was a fail... I don't have cash to waste so thanks for your views.  Not tempted to try it anymore.😮

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file