Products not penetrating hair shaft

DanielleMcCDanielleMcC Posts: 13Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited October 2018 in Low Porosity
Hi there...I've been trying to figure out what's been going on with my hair and why its undefined and limp but frizzy and then dry by day 2. I have tried a few things like going protein free (as I was using protein products like Devacurl) and going glycerin free. Not using glycerin has helped my hair not turn into a puff ball but the other issues are still there. No matter what conditioner I use and what products I use it just sits on my hair creating a film and it feels like products aren't getting through. I am usually left with limp silky hair but too silky and lifeless (i don't use silicones). I get build up very easily and have a lot of hair but it's fine in texture. I know I need to clarify regularly and I have clarified so many times now but it only slightly helps and only on the day i clarify. How can I get products to penetrate my hair?  Oh...I'm type 2b with low porosity 

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    What are you using to clarify?
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    have you been checking for silicon in your products?
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • DanielleMcCDanielleMcC Posts: 13Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    BrittanyM said:
    What are you using to clarify?
     I'm using a sulfate shampoo...its from Wella, I have sensitive scalp so it's the only I can use that doesnt bother my scalp. I have tried dozens of sulfite free ones but did nothing. 
  • DanielleMcCDanielleMcC Posts: 13Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Yes...theres no cones or silicon or anything in my products. 
    Ok. Try conditioning your hair while treating yourself to a nice hot shower. The steam should help open the cuticles up. Rinsing with warm (not hot) water and then styling products. See if they absorb any better.
    BrittanyM said:
    Ok. Try conditioning your hair while treating yourself to a nice hot shower. The steam should help open the cuticles up. Rinsing with warm (not hot) water and then styling products. See if they absorb any better.
    Thanks. I do that already. I haven't tried deep conditioning though. I've actually never done a deep conditioning. I wonder if that might help? 
    It should. Be sure to either use a processing cap, shower cap, or plastic shopping bag to trap the heat on your head.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,555Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have low-porosity 2b hair, and I have to deep condition occasionally. I use either my rinse-out conditioner or Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment. I wash my hair as usual, then squeeze out the excess water, and then work the conditioner into my hair. I put on a plastic cap and then tie a towel over that (to hold in the body heat) and let it sit for 15-30 minutes, depending on how dry it is. Then I rinse it out and style as usual.

You may want to check how your hair is responding to protein. Too much protein can make the hair more impervious to products. I find that I need less protein in the winter than in the summer.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file