Transitioning, how to diffuse and yet stay away from heat?

MonipenMonipen Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
So I'm 6 months into this transitioning and since I started the CG method. My hair is very heat damaged from using the straightening iron once a week for the past 17 years. So when I started this in April after doing a lot of research and watching lots of Youtube tutorials I decided that I was going to stay off the heat completely. However, I am now finding this problem in my case:
1. My hair takes HOURS to dry!!! (About 4 hours)  
2. Fall is starting, it's October and before we know it winter will be here in Norther Europe.

So this picture taken today at work, I had been 2 hours at work already and my hair still looked like this:

This is terrible! It looks soaking wet! I was thinking I can't look like this, I'ma receptionist sitting at the entrance of the building and I'm the first person people see when they enter the building.

So I am seriously thinking about starting to diffuse my hair in the morning. I'm thinking if I use it on a cold setting it will do less damage, right? On the other hand using it on a cold setting will probably mean that it will take much longer to dry. Does anyone have any tips?

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,781Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I have the same issues.  I can't go to work with wet hair - not only is it unprofessional looking, but in winter my hair would freeze (and that creates all kinds of awful and weird frizzing!) 

I diffuse whenever I wash my hair, and sometimes when I refresh too.  My dryer has 3 heat settings, so I switch between the lowest setting and the medium.  I start diffusing right out of my shower, but only for 10-15 minutes, then I air dry while I'm doing other stuff.  Then I'll diffuse again for a couple minutes after I do my makeup, and it'll usually be dry before I leave for work.  Even just a few minutes really speeds up the drying process.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • MonipenMonipen Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Guide 65 said:
    I have the same issues.  I can't go to work with wet hair - not only is it unprofessional looking, but in winter my hair would freeze (and that creates all kinds of awful and weird frizzing!) 

I diffuse whenever I wash my hair, and sometimes when I refresh too.  My dryer has 3 heat settings, so I switch between the lowest setting and the medium.  I start diffusing right out of my shower, but only for 10-15 minutes, then I air dry while I'm doing other stuff.  Then I'll diffuse again for a couple minutes after I do my makeup, and it'll usually be dry before I leave for work.  Even just a few minutes really speeds up the drying process.
    Thank you so much for that answer. 

And yes exactly what I meant, in winter I think my hair would freeze to icicles. Not practical. 

So yeah I think that's what I'm going to start doing. I'll just have to get up earlier in the morning to have enough time to diffuse.  :D But your suggestion is def a good one!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,493Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would try diffusing on a warm (not hot) setting. Since your hair takes a long time to dry, it is probably pretty healthy and less susceptible to damage. Personally, I think that a little heat can actually be helpful for low-porosity hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    YES!!! I got myself a new blowdryer!!! My old one was about17 years old and was the first thing I started using when straightening my hair together with a round brush. Later I got myself a straightening iron, which I preferred to the dryer since it left my hair really straight. So this blowdryer had a diffuser with it but I had never used it before. Anyway nothing wrong with the blowdryer it still works fine. But as I was saying in the beginning of this post, I was a bit hesitant about using heat on my hair because it is so heat damaged already.

So I started doing some research online, and discovered that nowadays there are different kinds of blowdryers and there are some that are called ionic and ceramic hairdryers. I had no idea! A whole new world has opened up to me, as I found out that these blowdryers have less of a chance of giving giving your hair heat damage. The ionic ones are giving less frizz and the ceramic apparantely control the heat so that it's never hotter than a certain temperature. I was like: Wow! I have got to get myself one of these regardless of the cost.

So I'm now the proud owner of the Remington Keratin Protect, which is both ionic and ceramic (well it has a ceramic coated grill something like that?). It's supposed to have a ring that gives off keratin and almond oil (how that exactly works I have no idea, but OK). It's got 3 temperature settings: cold/medium heat/high heat.

So far I'm using medium heat in the beginning and towards the end I use the cold air. I really feel the difference, my old dyer felt much hotter using medium heat.

Only thing: my husband wasn't too happy when he saw the 2200W ha ha ha ha, he's concerned about the electricity bill, says this uses more power than our vacuum cleaner.  :D
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 371Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I feel your pain!  During the summer my hair took about 4 hours to dry, but now that it's colder it's more like 5-6 hours!  I really didn't want to turn to my diffuser, but I have had to.  As others said, use lower settings.  I find the low heat doesn't do anything except make my arms tired, so I use medium heat on low speed (I suggest starting with low to see if ti works for you).  Some other tips are don't hold in the same place for more ~20 seconds and only dry to ~75-80%.

I have seen contradicting answers on when is the "safest" time to diffuse (I.e. right out of the shower like @Guide 65  or waiting for it to dry a bit).  I personally get the best results when I let my hair air dry a bit why I do the rest of my morning/night prep. 

One final thought: I think sometimes you get to a point where you have to decide what's more important, dry hair or preventing minimal damage?  
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  JessiCurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    *currently trying BeautyCounter Smooth & Control Conditioner 
    Leave-In Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCrul Heaven In Hair
    Stylers: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion & JessiCurl Sprialicious Gel  all over; JessiCurl Rockin Ringlets on select areas

One final thought: I think sometimes you get to a point where you have to decide what's more important, dry hair or preventing minimal damage?  
    Thank you for your answer. Well, that's what I've been doing now, I'm using my blow dryer on medium heat slow speed, because indeed when I use the cold air setting my hair doesn't dry, it takes too long. In fact even using the medium heat setting, and first letting my hair air dry for a bit it still takes me 30 minutes to get my hair 80% dry. I leave it at that. I don't dry it completely. I'm fine with that.

However... I'd like to add something that I just recently realized...If I apply my styling products to soaking wet hair, in the shower, this is when my hair takes forever to dry... However I've recently started drying my hair with a microfiber towel first, and then I apply the styling products. I realized that my hair dries quicker. Hmmmm..... :#

This was an interesting discovery because I have on a few occasions tried the squish to condish method (last time during the summer, this takes time and I need to have time to do this, usually I'm always in a hurry) and this method really works for me when it comes to getting more curl definition. But the negative side of it: my hair takes forever to dry.... and not until now I've made this connection: soaking wet hair and styling products: my hair doesn't want to dry....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file