Honey and cinnamon mask/lightening. Results!

StraightPassingStraightPassing Posts: 77Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I will need to actually wash my hair properly tomorrow to let it settle etc but I have to say, I'm sold!

I think I might need to do another treatment to really see the effect, but 
I can tell that closer to my hair has a definite auburn sheen (up from dark brown). My hair is definitely cooler toned naturally though because in photos closer to it has little purple and blue speckles of colour. The redder tone may be bringing out the green undertone of my skin, but if means I look like Poison Ivy, I don't mind. :)

In terms of softeness and shine it looks pretty damn amazing. In my case, it's still a tiny bit dry but that's just my hair texture, it doesn't feel brittle so it's definitely moisturised. It has left a tiny bit of stickiness/crunch at the roots because for me washing at the sink isn't fantastically effective but that's all part of the learning curve.

Will post pics after my proper wash day tomorrow. :)

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,623Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Never heard of lightening your hair with honey and cinnamon!  Post a picture - I'm really curious about how it looks!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • StraightPassingStraightPassing Posts: 77Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I definitely will! :) I don't know how well it shows up on photos but 
    will definitely do so.:)

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,746Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Wow!  I'd never heard of lightening with cinnamon/honey, either! Looking forward to the pix. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 880Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Congrats on getting it to work. The cinnamon probably make a reddish staining while honey does contain small amounts of hydrogen peroxide (developer in color, it lightens and helps deposit pigment). While you wouldn't get platinum blonde from this method, it could potentially lift your hair half a level or so. If anyone was interested in the science behind it in my extremely limited knowledge.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,650Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Congrats on happy hair!  I've often heard people mention that honey lightens hair. I do honey rinses but I'm sure it doesn't lighten my hair since it's a negligible amount of honey and it mostly gets rinsed out. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Thanks! :) 

The bottom one is my hair a few weeks ago and the top is my hair today. The only reason it looks a little frazzled is because the process of washing out the honey dried it out  little and I may not have added enough conditioner because my hair is low porosity so it''s difficult getting the balance right. They're both similar lighting levels though so you can see how much it's lightened. :)
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,746Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Wow!  It lightened quite a bit!  You have such pretty waves!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    BrittanyM said:
     while honey does contain small amounts of hydrogen peroxide (developer in color, it lightens and helps deposit pigment). 
    I had no idea honey has hydrogen peroxide! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,623Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    It looks great! 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Thanks! I think the lighting may be more because I was stood by a window. It's usually curlier but a little dry atm, still that should be fine after wash day and I'll probably aim to lighten it more towards auburn. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file