The best curl products for mixed hair textures? My hair consists of 4a-4c, 3b-3c with a low porosity

CurlySam1998CurlySam1998 Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte

Please I really need help. You can’t see my type 3 strands because they are clumped together in this picture. I have a better image(video) where it shows literally wavy S’s throughout my hair. What products do I need? My hair always clumps together. I’m using Cantu but it’s not working for me  because it leaves my hair meshy and clumpy especially the SIDES. Please any help is needed.

Best Answer

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,706 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Your hair is looking good!  You can see split ends if you look - the strand will split into 2 pieces near the end, like a forked tongue.  Getting a trim every 6 weeks or so seems like a good schedule for most people.  It depends - if you want it to grow longer, trim every 8 weeks, or if you have a lot of splits and damage, you can get it done every 4 weeks.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,706Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  Your curl type doesn't really have anything to do with the products you use.  It's more about the porosity, density and coarseness that determines what you should use. 

What specifically are you using?  You said Cantu, but they have a lot of different stuff.
    Current products:
  • CurlySam1998CurlySam1998 Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Well for one my the Cantu is use is a wide variety. I use Cantu curling cream, cantu leave-in conditioner,Cantu curls activator cream, Cantu coil calm detangler. I did a porosity test and my porosity is low. So that may play a factor with my mixed hair types. I just don’t know what to do. I have 3c,3b,4a,4b, and some 2c S-waved patterns. This is so stressful.
  • CurlySam1998CurlySam1998 Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Type your comment   You can see the mixed hair types.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,706Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Cantu is heavy in shea butter and coconut.  Maybe try something a little lighter.  Not Your Mother's Naturals is lighter.  I think it still have SB and coconut, but it's just a lighter formula overall.  You should be able to find it at Ulta, and it's not expensive at all.
    Current products:
    Update:Thank you so much. When should I get a trim? How do I notice if my ends are split? My 2c curls always seem so thin and get damaged so easily. But I feel that my low porosity my be the key to everything.
    Thank you so muchhhhhhhh.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file